MOS help, Is my recruiter lying?
Create Post

MOS help, Is my recruiter lying?

Hi, I asked my recruiter today if any MOS's opened up. He told me no, and that the same MOS's are open that were opened last week. But when I read about people saying that OCt. 1 is the new fiscal year and that basically all jobs are opened up, I start to wonder if my recruiter telling me the truth. I understand he has nothing to gain or lose whether I get a MOS or not. But I also realize that i'm already DEPed in, so he could care less what happens to me. I ship Nov. 5, and I need to get a MOS that i'm interested, because I don't see the point in doing something that i'm not interested in for 4 years...

1) Is he giving me the right information about the MOS's not being open?

2) Should I go in tomorrow and have him show me what MOS's are available?

3) He also said that If i don't ship on Nov 5, because I want to wait until a MOS is available, then I will not be able to be a Marine. Can I delay my ship that until a MOS that I am interested in opens up? Or will they kick me out of the DEP and say I refused to ship and not be a Marine?

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Well, from what my recruiter told me is that MOS's open up on October 1st, but it might be that specific MOS open up later on.. I am not sure on that so I can't help you with your first question.

To your 2nd question, why not? Go ahead and ask him what MOS's are available. You can maybe ask him when the MOS you want opens up.

To your 3rd question, Max DEP time is a year (actually now a bit longer than a year.) If you wait until your DEP time expires, then you get out of DEP. If you've been in DEP for a while and if your DEP time expires by the time the MOS you want opens up, then yes, you will be discharged from DEP, but I think you can re-enlist to DEP.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PooleeDEP
    Hi, I asked my recruiter today if any MOS's opened up. He told me no, and that the same MOS's are open that were opened last week. But when I read about people saying that OCt. 1 is the new fiscal year and that basically all jobs are opened up, I start to wonder if my recruiter telling me the truth. I understand he has nothing to gain or lose whether I get a MOS or not. But I also realize that i'm already DEPed in, so he could care less what happens to me. I ship Nov. 5, and I need to get a MOS that i'm interested, because I don't see the point in doing something that i'm not interested in for 4 years...

1) Is he giving me the right information about the MOS's not being open?

2) Should I go in tomorrow and have him show me what MOS's are available?

3) He also said that If i don't ship on Nov 5, because I want to wait until a MOS is available, then I will not be able to be a Marine. Can I delay my ship that until a MOS that I am interested in opens up? Or will they kick me out of the DEP and say I refused to ship and not be a Marine?
    I agree with jungholee90 100%! But without knowing all the facts, poolee, my suggestion is this. Do you want to be a Marine, or are you looking for a way out? Becoming a Marine is a lifetime/life changing decision. Once you become a Marine your life will forever change. Some people just THINK they want to become one until the final days of their DEP! But if you truly want to become a Marine---then work it out with your recruiter and decide on a MOS that you are best qualified for and go with that! Not everyone is qualified to be Commandant ya know! All jobs are important to win this war we are in.

Question #1---Most likely, he hasn't been updated yet!
    #2----Yes
    #3---- I am sure he meant THIS YEAR! As far as NOT becoming a Marine---well---I really don't think the Corps is big enough to turn down a willing warm body yet! Maybe you misunderstood him. Ask him to tell you that again and see what he says this time, and pay close attention, ok?

Poolee this war has caused a high demand for Marines and Soldiers, they always do! In a perfect world, we wouldn't need Marines and Soldiers, but this old world isn't perfect, not during our lifetime it isn't, nor will it be!

Well folks the new phisical year is Oct 1 of each year. !st off is that some times they do not get a update on opening right off. If you are just wanting a job then you need to look else where. The Marines will train you in the job that they feel you are best sutied for.
    Yes we need warm bodies but we need them to want to be a Marine.

i can verify that if you do not ship on your ship date that you will not become a Marine..cause you cant unless you ship..but it does not keep you from ever shipping out and becoming a Marine, i didn't ship out when i was suppose to originally....a year and a half later i ended up shipping out though...and look at me now...

i say hold out for what you want..its your life....your career in the Corps if you earn the title...not his...do whats right for you not for others...the Corps will find who it needs to fill other slots and other jobs...

As much as I agree with PFC Heiser and Cpl. Blaylock about it being your life and choosing something you want to do, also remember what elite military fighting force you are joining. You could go through all the training for one MOS to find out that they won't be needing you in that slot anymore, or that someone else whose had more time in service has taken your job opening before you finished MOS school and then shove you into a completely different MOS.

Don't just use the Marines as a stepping stone to better your "civilian life". You either want to be a Marine, first and foremost, or you don't. If you want it then EARN it. If you don't, then go to school, graduate, and hopefully it will be enough to land you the civilian job you want.

And go see The Kingdom, because its a pretty freakin awesome movie and motivated the heck out of me. The intro is amazing and will help you get a quick understanding of why things are the way they are with our involvment in the Middle East.

While I believe in honor and duty to country, and giving yourself to the Corps, I definitely would not go in with anything less than the basic field of something I was interested in (in other words, no open contract). Why take a job that you'll end up hating? It makes for a bad soldier/Marine because you won't want to be there (I run into them ALL the time, and luckily they're usually temporary taskers, and out the door before I know it).

While I don't have direct experience as a Marine (yet), I am a DOD contractor and work side by side with Army, Air Force, and Marine Corps personnel, both enlisted and commissioned. Not one has EVER recommended an open contract, or taking a job that you just know you wouldn't want to do.

Then again SOMEBODY has to do the ditch digging / potato peeling I suppose.

POOLEEDEP, You are not a crywhiner are you? You gonna cause trouble in my Marine Corps? Did your recruiter give you a MOS? If he did shut up and leave on time. And dont ask your drill Instructors any stupid questions because they will thrash you. Which sounds like what you need about now. What are your stats. Are you ready for boot camp, How Many pull ups can you do?, How many crunches? How long does it take you to grabastically run 1.5 miles.

Thread Information