Create Post
Page 88 of 118 FirstFirst ... 387884858687888990919298 ... LastLast
Results 1,306 to 1,320 of 1765
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by mdlangley View Post
    1) Scarlet and Gold
    2) 1939
    3) A Battle Streamer is a long streamer attached to the headpiece of a military flag,
    denoting participation of that military service in a particular battle, campaign, or
    war.
    4) 54
    5) Marine Barracks, Washington D.C.
    6) Iraq and Afghanistan Campaign Standards
    Bonus) My educated guess would be when the Battle Colors are uncased and when the Marine is not in a battlefield situation (simulated or otherwise).

Also about the 10-penny nail, the Marine I spoke with said it was used to keep the cover stiff and sharp cornered. He said some Marines used cartridges when in the field. He used a laminated photo of his wife. Whatever it took not to look nasty.
    mdlangley - You did an outstanding job on my trivia, but you butchered up Bulkyker's question. You may need to mention to the Marine that told you about the 10-penny nail that his aim is a little off and see if he can get you the correct info...( probably some pogue accounting technician - Geez! ) 3 miles and 75 Crunches for you AND me! Thanks!!

Your BONUS answer is good - the only other time I can think of to salute the Battle Colors would be when the command to Present, Arms is given when the Battle Colors are present.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I may have to let the cat out of the bag on this one. The AR-15, and M-16A1 both had front and rear sites designed to be adjusted with the tip of a 5.56 round. We carried a nail to adjust both windage and elavation thus not bending or whatever a live round. The M-16A2 came with adjustment knobs for windage and elevation but the front site post still needed to be adjusted the hard way for initial BZO. A nail vs a round was a better option but not the only option. I'm guessing that Marines still carry some sort of indication of clicks front and rear for "their" battle site zero in the butt of their weapon along with their cleaning gear. You get your weapon pounding nails and you'll never need a nail again with the new weapons.

Credits
    Savings

Poolie Trivia

POOLIES:

Tell me about the first Marine to win the Medal of Honor. I want concise, accurate detail, so tell me: Who, When, Where, and How in three decent sentences or less.

Answer correctly and well, you'll earn ME a 3 mile run.
    Answer incorrecty and/or poorly, you earn youself 3 miles AND 50 Marine Corps Push-Ups.

The first Marine to win the Medal of Honor war Corporal John F. Mackie. He won the medal on board the U.S.S. Galena while it was attacking Fort Darling that was a Major training base for the confederate Marines. Corporal Mackie maintained musket fire in the face of enemy attack.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Psurichie View Post
    The first Marine to win the Medal of Honor war Corporal John F. Mackie. He won the medal on board the U.S.S. Galena while it was attacking Fort Darling that was a Major training base for the confederate Marines. Corporal Mackie maintained musket fire in the face of enemy attack.
    Psurichie. That's 3 miles for me again tomorrow. Nice. You could work on your composition a little bit, but I'm no English teacher. I prefer to see some effort and attention to detail. Good effort and accurate facts!

More tomorrow. Goodnight Chesty!

Quote Originally Posted by Bulkyker View Post
    I now am stumped on how the heck you would use a shell casing to stiffen your cover. Enlighten us.

It is quite possible that the Marine and I could have misunderstood each other. More likely that I misunderstood him tho. We were talking on the phone and I asked him this question kind of as a last second thought. He is a former Intel Marine that lives in my area and he was giving me some info on what kind of stuff I might do. Anyway, that is a good thought for the front sight adjustment. I have an AR-15 and adjusting the sight with a round of ammo is not the easiest thing. A nail might just be the ticket.

Credits
    Savings

Poolie Trivia

POOLIE TRIVIA

Who is Marine Wesley Fox? Tell me no more than five accurate sentences about him, and don't skip the important facts.

Earn yourself a 3 mile run for a solid response.
    Fail to impress me, earn yourself 50 Marine Corps Push-Ups, then run the 3 miles, then finish up with another 50 Push-Ups.

My realtree upland cover has a #5 city-head slim blade stuck in the vent holes cause it's made from 5 different alloys, has a good tool like grip and bends in half and back to straight without breaking

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by SlingerDun View Post
    My realtree upland cover has a #5 city-head slim blade stuck in the vent holes cause it's made from 5 different alloys, has a good tool like grip and bends in half and back to straight without breaking
    And there you have it. My dawg tags still have a John Wayne attached to the chain too.

Credits
    Savings

Poolie Trivia - BUMP

Quote Originally Posted by Chumley View Post
    POOLIE TRIVIA

Who is Marine Wesley Fox? Tell me no more than five accurate sentences about him, and don't skip the important facts.

Earn yourself a 3 mile run for a solid response.
    Fail to impress me, earn yourself 50 Marine Corps Push-Ups, then run the 3 miles, then finish up with another 50 Push-Ups.
    BUMP

I met Wesley Fox at Camp Johnson (I don't want to call him by his rank, itd give away too much info)

He told us pretty much his entire time in the Corps, from when he joined up to the present day.

Man I want to answer that question!

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Achped View Post
    I met Wesley Fox at Camp Johnson (I don't want to call him by his rank, itd give away too much info)

He told us pretty much his entire time in the Corps, from when he joined up to the present day.

Man I want to answer that question!

I bet that was an impressive meeting! Was that at the Beirut Memorial ceremony or other?

It was about his book Marine Rifleman: 43 Years in the Corps.

Pvt - 1stSgt, then Lt - Col? Nuts!

The most significant thing I remember was that had we not been told beforehand he was a MOH recipient, we probably never would've even known.

He talked for about an hour, and he mentioned the MOH only once, referring to that battle in Vietnam and he said

"The battle everyone wants to hear about, was the battle in which my company earned their Medal of Honor"

and he went on to explain what happened that day. But that's the only time he ever said Medal of Honor, he said he, by his billet, was given the Medal of Honor, but he was nothing without his men.

Colonel Wesley Fox enlisted in the Marine Corp in 1950. He served in the Korean war and earned the Bronze star. After the war he was commissioned as as a second lieutenant after making first Sergent. In Vietnam he was awarded the Medal of Honor for leading his men after being injured and destroyed a large bunker complex after being significantly injured. He retired form the Marine Corp in 1993 and became went to work at Virginia Tech.

Marine Corp huh?

Thread Information