Marine’s service in Iraq honored
09/17/07
By Andrea Freygang
Respond to this story

First Sgt. Ron Whittington, a Roman, has been recognized by the Navy and Marine Corps for commendable service while serving in Iraq.

Sgt. Whittington was commended for his response while in Fallujah in 2004.

“He received a special citation for valor in duty and performance in combat operations during the push at Fallujah in 2004,” said Chief Warrant Officer Gary Harrelson, also based in Rome’s Marine Corps as an officer for the past 19 years.

“He took care of his Marines, took care of administrative needs, was a sounding board for his commanders and gave guidance and help and helped redirect a call for fire as well as helping put a security element out.”

Harrelson said he also helped evacuate injured Marines, a task E-8 infantry Marines don’t usually do.

“He is just the epitome of a Marine, but he is very humble,” said Harrelson.

The award, a Navy and Marine Corps commendation medal (Gold Star in Lieu of the Third Award with Combat “V”), has been presented to Whittington.

Whittington, in the Marines 23 years, also served in Operation Desert Shield (the first time the U.S. went to Iraq). He said he joined the Marines to do something positive with his life and to serve his country.

“I never thought I’d stay 23 years,” he said, “but one day, I turned around and time had turned into 23 years.”

He said during operations in Fallujah, his unit, Bravo Company, 1st Battalion, 8th Marine, was sent on several search missions, and he just made sure his Marines were taken care of, commanders briefed and casualties taken care of by being sent back to their families properly.

“I’m definitely humbled because I didn’t expect this. I was just doing my job,” said Whittington. “If I had a choice, I’d trade in the award for the Marines I lost. It’s nothing special, just doing my job to the best of my ability.”

He said he did only what Marines are trained to do.

“We are trained to fight and defend our country, and every Marine feels like he’s not in the game unless in combat even though we don’t want to be,” Whittington said. “I’m just glad to be able to do what I’m trained to do.”

Harrelson said Whittington’s experience had a lot to do with it.

“We always take care of our own, but there’s a lot of Marines still learning who don’t have the experience to provide critical assistance, and he draws on his whole 23 years,” said Harrelson. “There are some days I think I work for him instead of the other way around. He’s definitely someone I want in my corner.”

Whittington said he wouldn’t be able to do what he has done without the support of his wife.

“My wife has always been there, taking care of the children,” said the father of a 13-year-old girl and 5-year-old son. “Everything I’ve achieved in the Marine Corps, I couldn’t have done it without her. It’s peace of mind to know my wife is strong and takes care of the family.”

Whittington said currently there are no plans for him to go overseas. He has already done two tours in Iraq.

“I think they’re doing a good thing, but a lot of people don’t realize how good we are doing unless you’ve been there,” he said. “The Marines constantly do great stuff every day, but people instead focus on the negative stuff.”

He is in the process of planning this year’s Toys for Tots collection that collects toys for the poor to give out at Christmastime. He has coordinated this in Rome the past three years.

“It’s just part of my duty,” he said. “I want to give something back to children. It’s rewarding in that sense because there’s so much in this country, and a lot of people just don’t have anything.”

Ellie