MOS Promises
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MOS Promises

MOS Promises

My first post. And I'm a wannabe, I'm not in the DEP. But I've thought about the Marine Corps. since I graduated high school 2 years ago. Since then I haven't been to college, but I did move away from home. I've been living on my own for a while and I'm thinking about the Marine Corps. again.

I talked to a recruiter here for the last 2 days, I remember alot of stuff I talked to the recruiter about 2 years ago.

I feel alot of honesty coming from the recruiter. And he is promising me a job that as long as its on my contract thats what I get. Of course I did the research like other wannabes and poolees and saw that really there is no promise.

If I don't qualify or its something thats my fault I get whatever the Corps. wants to put me in. But if its not available beyond my control I can choose another MOS.

I asked him about this and he promised to me again that I will get the MOS that I want. I searched the forum here and saw that you really get to pick a job around the MOS and then a job within that category becomes yours.

When I bring it up to him he reinforces the fact that what I want is what I get. No less.

The MOS I have taken an interest in is Security Forces as he refers to it Presidential support. Since it is based off of Infantry school training does this mean that I could end up in a combat arms MOS.

Ok here's the scoop. You can sign a contract for a slot in school for SF. SF is not just an MOS that you can sign up for and attain very easily. You'll go through school to be an infantryman and then after that you will attend SF school. If you pass then yes, you will have that MOS. If not then you will most likely be put back into an infantry battalion.

So in one way he's being completely honest but in another he's being a little shady. You can sign a contract for security forces but if you don't make it then you will go back to being a grunt.

Alright so that makes sense. Security Forces is hard to obtain I'm sure. I kept trying to figure out why they would let an individual join the Corps. and then end up gaurding a high ranking offical or a nuclear weapon, etc.

I imagine it would be hard to get into. I'm pretty clean cut, no tats or nothing. He told me to get 5 people that I know so I could get a security clearance.

I told him I want honesty because you always hear about recruiters lying to recruits. And I've been straight up with him in my intentions. I want to take the actual asvab and see my score without commitment. He understood. He said I can take the asvab between 1 and 4 in Louisville, KY and I make no commitment.

To do this he wants me to fill out a form, he said it is like making the appointment to go and take the ASVAB. Is this a contract, I was planning to read it all over of course before I sign anything. Does anybody know what he is referring to?

My MOS interests are AAV, and tanks. Along with any other job that I qualify for ASVAB wise. I told him I want to see what I can get and go from there.

These MOS schools, as long as you pay attention and do a good job does this mean your in? To fail do you have to basically truely screw up beyond a level of a human being let alone being a Marine after boot camp? Schools like Security Forces since they are more challenging is it like 50 go in and only 10 go to SF?

Thanks for your response Covey_Rider.

SL1AJ. Get it in writing. Ask for a copy of it for your records if you think he is a little shady. But You may want to think about graduating boot camp first.

The Marine Is Being Honest, He Can Get You The Security Forces And As You Were Told By Others If You Do Not Make It Through Soi Then You Will Get Inf. For You To Take The Asvab You Must Fill Out What We Call A Form 680, This Is Not A Contract It Is A Request For Examination, Thats It. Your Actual Contract Is A Dd Form 1966, Also Known A Page One. You Do Not Have Any Contractual Obligations By Filling Ou The 680 Request For Examination.

Remember First Our Job Is To Make Sure That You Want To Become A Marine First, Your Choice In Jobs Is The Tangible Things That You Are Going To Get Anyways. If You Have Any Question You Can Ask.

Remember Your Dealing With Marines On Recruiting Duty Not A Recruiter, If You Want To Talk To A Recruiter There Are Four Other Services For That. Were Not Here To Bs You.

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefUSMC
    Remember Your Dealing With Marines On Recruiting Duty Not A Recruiter, If You Want To Talk To A Recruiter There Are Four Other Services For That. Were Not Here To Bs You.
    Nice perspective. I never thought of it like that. Just another way for our Marines to distinguish themselves from the others. Thanks, Chief.

Gunny, we could certainly use your help on these forums. Look forward to seeing you cruise this section more often.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ChiefUSMC
    Were Not Here To Bs You.
    Well..............sometimes we will

Seriously though, he's not lieing to you - he just isn't telling you the other side of the story i.e. what will happen if you fail. Some Marines tend to forget the other side because we're trained that failure IS NOT an option. YOU have to motivate YOURSELF enough to WANT to make the commitment. Ask a lot of "what if" questions.

I'm pretty motivated to do this. And it's not like I jumped into this just last week I was thinking about it to myself all last month and even while I was still with my last girlfriend.

And I was of course thinking about it 2 years ago. And I know it is a huge commitment, huge. And I got to research (which is what led me here).

But I love honesty, truth in it all. If he told me straight up what I learned here, I wouldn't care and it wouldn't unmotivate me in the slightest. Even though he didn't I'm still determined.

I have alot I need to do though, I need to move all my stuff back home. Be enlisted, quit my job. Go to PI, give it hell, be a Marine. There is so much to do.

But just as a reference to what I mean by MOS schools, is it similar to jarhead? The scout sniper school, 50 guys there - only 8 become scout snipers. Are alot of MOS's like this?

Quote Originally Posted by SL1AJ
    But just as a reference to what I mean by MOS schools, is it similar to jarhead? The scout sniper school, 50 guys there - only 8 become scout snipers. Are alot of MOS's like this?
    That's a little bit of Hollywood there. If only 8 graduate out of 50 somethings wrong, that's a little more then 10% and some schools that might be the graduation rate, but not most. Don't use SS school as a measuring stick, or movies in general. That guy told a lot of stories in that book and movie for the almighty dollar, but I'll leave that alone for now. If you go there and, first of all you've already earned the Title. If you go there and are 1/2 way squared away, you'll make it. MOS schools are supposed to be tough but you're going to learn it all over again when you get to the fleet. The failure rate at most MOS schools is probably 10%, meaning 90% make it. It might be higher for some selected MOS', but in general they'll work with you until you've proven over and over that you're a rock. Or not worth it, and then you might fail out. But failure isn't an option once you have earned the Title.

Thats what I was thinking, I knew the movie wasn't a real look at the Marine Corps. in alot of aspects. I just didn't know how it all worked. But like you said being a Marine instills that sense of being that you just shown, infact all of you.

The recruiter was going on about duties that are voluntary and sometimes aren't. But I thought why would anybody volunteer to do that, and it hit me that I'm not on the same mindset as you guys.

Marines. I'm not one, I want to be one. The confidence you Marines have is admirable and makes people like me a "wannabe", for years at that.

And I think this forum is a great resource. The more I rummage around the more stuff I find out. Tomorrow I go to take the ASVAB to see my score and go from there.

I have alot to do like I said before, so much stuff to move back because there is no sense in keeping my apartment. The Recruiter also said that all bills, and leases can be closed because of an Act about joining the Military.

So it should all fall together I hope.

Thank you Marines!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SL1AJ
    The scout sniper school, 50 guys there - only 8 become scout snipers. Are alot of MOS's like this?
    No, pretty much anything you may end up doing in the Corps IS doable if you wrap your brain around it. I didn't know $h!t from shinola about Ordnance before I went in. They gave me a second chance in A School and I had to do "rock study" after about the first 2 or 3 weeks of school. I rocked the hell out because NONE of that electronic trash made any sense! Once it clicked I did OK and didn't have to do rock study again for the duration of the school.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by thewookie
    But failure isn't an option once you have earned the Title.
    See...............it's just NOT an option.

Quote Originally Posted by HardJedi
    Let me clue you in on something here. Your MOS is NOT MCSF. YOUR MOS is 0300. You will go to infantry school. THEN you will serve 18 months in a MCSF detachment. THEN you are gonna haul butt back to a regular infantry unit. MCSF is a secondary MOS.
    So I find that the Security Forces is a secondary job and then I'm to a regular infantry unit according to this Marine. Does that mean that all that training I receive for the MCSF is no longer necessary? Or has things changed for the MCSF.

security forces should only be a 2 year deal and your last 2 years will be spent in a grunt battalion

I called my recruiter today, I asked about the MCSF being a secondary, he told me no it's a primary and thats all I would be doing. I asked what the MOS number was and he couldn't find it. He told me it branches off of Infantry, but basically he told me its a primary.

Thread Information