Barracks Life
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Barracks Life

Barracks Life

Well, I did a search and I could not find too much. I was just wondering what life is like after hours and on the weekends. In the barracks are you free to keep what you wish? I sometimes enjoy watching a movie or talking to friends online and I was wondering if it is acceptable to bring a laptop and would they have internet connection. I found several articles about barracks rules but nothing about what the rooms are like.

Aslo I have no idea what is ment by this statement taken from wikipeida... "Those that do reside in barracks are now generally housed in individual rooms conforming to modern U.S. Department of Defense guidelines. The Marine Corps is often the exception to this practice." Any help would be great. Thanks.

Lol a barracks isn't like what you're thinking of. I think what you have in mind is a squadbay. Barracks now are rooms that you share with a roommate. You can have pretty much anything that you want.

Here's the best pic I could find online of a normal barracks room...

But yeah you can have pretty much anything. I've got a desktop, tv, surround sound, xbox 360 etc. Once you hit the fleet wherever you are stationed is going to be home for you. You can get internet and tv and all the normal accommodations of home. The things you can't have is anything that's a fire hazard such as frying pans, pots etc.

This is something the Air Force has had for many years now. The Marine Corps is finally catching up.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    I was just wondering what life is like after hours and on the weekends.
    WILDDDDDD!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But yeah you can have pretty much anything. I've got a desktop, tv, surround sound, xbox 360 etc. Once you hit the fleet wherever you are stationed is going to be home for you. You can get internet and tv and all the normal accommodations of home.
    Make sure what you keep in your room is able to be put into storage if you are in a deployable unit.

Regarding rooms,I heard that rooms are made available for all. At one time open squadbays were the norm for deployable units,with a metal wallocker for your gear.Very little privacy. Then if you were an NCO you could take the wallocker and make a cube of 3-4 men to make a little more private space. Individual rooms are looked at as a two way street. You have your ammenities and privacy,but your superiors have NO control as they did in open barracks.

Same Marine Corps..new era!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I usually kept a quart of vodka in my locker at 29 Stumps. Any more questions?

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Betting on the weekend scorpion fights were cool too.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Payday poker games on a tight bunk. also cool. But no, back then it was still a squadbay,,, no rooms. Long, Long ago.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    For us women, it's a tad different - at El Toro I had 2 roomies both times I was there. I lucked out in Iwakuni and got a room allllllllllllllllll to myself.

Our females were mixed right in with the rest of us. We had 2 person rooms, and 2 rooms shared a head- so clearly if there were WMs in one room, the people sharing a head with them have to be female too.

And, for any women on here--- if you happen to have a rack that is right by the window, you need to make sure the blinds are all the way down and/or stay under the covers if you happen to be in bed naked. More than once there was an unintentional peep show.

Hey thanks for the information. I found a few videos of a normal barracks on youtube. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHoMlBtGTBQ -- and someothers)

I was open squadbay, 2 man "rooms" with dividers splitting us up, a curtain for a door....and I was Airwing, it ain't right I tell you, ahahaha.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Yea, the wing does better if seperated at nite, ;] Less jealous fighting Ha Ha. "sorry ,Doc" It's just me, Yuur friend,,,remember?

BAM------- Butckie Airwing Marines

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jetdoc
    I was open squadbay, 2 man "rooms" with dividers splitting us up, a curtain for a door....and I was Airwing, it ain't right I tell you, ahahaha.
    LOL! And you could hear anything that was going on.....................Squid Pen was set up that way too . Yes, I drank a lot and couldn't find my way home sometimes.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four_Bravo
    And, for any women on here--- if you happen to have a rack that is right by the window, you need to make sure the blinds are all the way down and/or stay under the covers if you happen to be in bed naked. More than once there was an unintentional peep show.
    LOL! I know that's right!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Be ready for field day. It sucks.

Thread Information