Does prior shooting experince help? - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    It's an honor to be among such fine warriors. Truth be told, I graduated with the pizza box because I failed to adopt solid shooting positions. That sight moves a lot more than it has to when you don't have the right foundation.

A year of hanging out with people like E4B and The Wookie will compel you to work harder. It absolutely SUCKS having to wear that pizza box. Thankfully, I ended up with 2 Awards.

Hey, Wookie, bank loan officer? Sounds like it would be a tough bank to rob if you were packing at work. ha ha ha.

Mike, can you please reconsider the picture on your profile? Honestly, it looks like something we'd see on CNN after another national day of tragedy. You get my drift?

Quote Originally Posted by rvillac2
    It's an honor to be among such fine warriors. Truth be told, I graduated with the pizza box because I failed to adopt solid shooting positions. That sight moves a lot more than it has to when you don't have the right foundation.

A year of hanging out with people like E4B and The Wookie will compel you to work harder. It absolutely SUCKS having to wear that pizza box. Thankfully, I ended up with 2 Awards.

Hey, Wookie, bank loan officer? Sounds like it would be a tough bank to rob if you were packing at work. ha ha ha.

Mike, can you please reconsider the picture on your profile? Honestly, it looks like something we'd see on CNN after another national day of tragedy. You get my drift?
    ha ha, the picture, I told you guys I wasn't electronic. I had a fire years ago and lost a lot of my USMC stuff, and especially the pictures. But over the years I'd send some stuff home to my momma, and I'm on vacation this week so I might get my shat together and put something from back in the day up. I guess it may help until someone who knows me from when I was in chimes in to say hello, I don't want anyone to question anything. But you can. I'm not insecure, I'm sure those who know can read my posts and know I know. But I saw with JCam, that posers are everywhere, and unfortunately you have to wonder sometimes. My school and duty station bio is unreal, someone PMed me on that, but I earned it and I was a rare breed who could teach, and operate/perform. And I was humble about it, I enjoyed learning and then bringing that information I learned back to the other Marines around me in order for them to learn from. It's one of the reasons why a good Marine exists, to learn and pass it on to the younger guys who are going to have our back. Now that I'm a banker a lot of guys who I knew back in the day wonder what got into me. But I love money, and business, and I had fun while I was in, but I wanted a new challenge. Plus I was tired of it and my body took a beating before, and during my time in the Corps. And my record before I was in, isn't squeaky clean, or even close!

The bank, ya you don't want to rob that place. My boss is a Marine, and another guy in lending is, plus one of the bank's Board members is an ole China Marine named Johnny Walker, imagine that! We have bank security training a lot and I always wonder to myself if I'll stay put if something happens while I'm there. Tough question, even if they're armed. Can't get that 18yr old Marine out of me, and I'm not expecting that to change anytime soon!

Semper Fi

The 18 year old Marine had an M-16. Don't go doing anything silly, they won't get away with it anyway.

As for being a warrior- I'm not sure that punching holes in a piece of paper really makes you a warrior. I'd like to see many changes to the rifle range, but the KD course is what it is--- and I doubt it will change much, no matter how much I want it to.

Whoops MisComm.
    Sorry Mike V. I was actually addressing Mike the Poollee. Check out his profile picture and you'll know what I mean. Kinda reminscient of Virginia Tech.

Quote Originally Posted by rvillac2
    Whoops MisComm.
    Sorry Mike V. I was actually addressing Mike the Poollee. Check out his profile picture and you'll know what I mean. Kinda reminscient of Virginia Tech.
    Wow, hello! What's up with that pic? You better be careful with that bay-O-net, you might hurt yourself.

If you're interested I posted a thread regarding this in Poolee Hall.
    http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=53022

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I forgot to say,,,, I held a gun just about as soon as I could stand up,,, Put many a rabbit and pheaseant on the table,,, Still no help in the Marines. even your site picture changes.

Quote Originally Posted by sparkie
    I forgot to say,,,, I held a gun just about as soon as I could stand up,,, Put many a rabbit and pheaseant on the table,,, Still no help in the Marines. even your site picture changes.
    That's great Sparkie, ha ha, I just checked out your bio, Camp lejune + Brig, ha ha, too funny. Is that time in or time working, if you don't mind. If I come to Vegas someday I want to have a beer with you!

There are three ways of Rifle Marksmanship in the Marine Corps. The Right Way, The Wrong Way and the Marine Corps Way. I would suggest that you forget everything you have done with a rifle and then when you get to Boot Camp, learn the Marine Crops Way.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Any time Wook, If you read my whole Bio,, I enjoy teaching my kids to shoot. I still enjoy my Enfield 7.62 at 800 yards,,,;]+

Hell Yes it helps as long as you arent stubborn.

Marines... Dont be fooled into thinking that the Marine Corps is the ONLY place where they teach the fundamentals of marksmanship. I have qualled expert 3 times (everytime) and I shot for years before. Plus having firearms experience is a good thing. Most Marines in general arent weapons experts, usually just M16 experts. I had plenty of time behind AKs FALs M14s and CETMEs and it hepls. The SAW is a FAL/AK copy and it helped me alot. When there is a weapons question Marnies usually come to me.

Any time Wook, If you read my whole Bio,, I enjoy teaching my kids to shoot. I still enjoy my Enfield 7.62 at 800 yards,,,;]+
    I sure am glad that I didn't say to that kid "your uncle Ken from Vietnam" back a few posts ago! No offense intended to anyone BTW. Hey I don't gamble, I'm a cheap Italian, and I hate to lose, but if I ever come out there, I'll bring a few things and you and I can reach out and hit some things! I'm sure you can teach me a thing or two because I'm like an old dog, well, I am an old dog, so I like to learn new tricks! I have a 700 PSS, tricked out a bit by the armorer at Dam Neck, (although, what do you really do to a basically perfect gun/system out of the box, he shaved down the trigger a little haven't had it at 800 or further, 700 is the best and that was at Dam Neck. I'd love to reach out and see what it, and I can do, and I've never been to Vegas so you never know! Semper Fi Marine

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I camp and shoot abt 45 mins from my home. So remote you could pop off an 80mm out there. No one would notice. But please wait till the weather breaks,,,108 today w 40% humidity,,,;] Too old for that crap.

I camp and shoot abt 45 mins from my home. So remote you could pop off an 80mm out there. No one would notice. But please wait till the weather breaks,,,108 today w 40% humidity,,,;] Too old for that crap.
    I figured you must have some land around there to pop off a few on. No heat for me, I like hot over cold but I hate either extreme.

Quote Originally Posted by Ub3rmike
    My recruiter told me that my past experince with firearms may acutally hurt me in boot camp, I was wondeirng if anyone could chime in if this was true or not.
    It may if your a gang banging thug or weekend beer can plinker but generaly the more weapons experience you bring to the range or field the more confident and comfortable you are and should find it easier to grasp new concepts. Experience is still the best teacher.

If an experienced range shooter you already know how it feels to punch holes in the black, and art and a science. If a hunter you have taken your practice into the field. Made shots in uncomfortable positions with a racing heartbeat and heaving lungs yet still dropped animals. Perhaps Marine Corps rifle training could improve your consistency {if you apply it, all of it}. If you dont apply it to the letter and struggle between your old ways and the Marine way trying to engage a hybrid shooting style, you most likely will shoot poorly and wonder why.

The Corps seems to have figured out a very efficient basic way to build shooters and can greatly add skill to your bag of tricks. When all is said and done you do have to learn to shoot again and if you think some of your own techniques are best, save them for posterity and somebody elses rifle range.

--->Dave

Thread Information