MP 58 a good MOS?
Create Post

MP 58 a good MOS?

Hello Marines I am wondering if anyone can give me an idea on Military Police, based on my ASVAB my recruiter tells me I am qualified for any MOS, 003 is full and it will not open for when I want to ship, any ideas on anything similar and not so much of a support role,(not to put down support as they are equally important)

Also, as I understand things, these days most MP's are doing the 'combat support' thing rather than strict law enforcement operations. If that is something you want to do (run convoys, etc etc) then it'll be a good pick. If you are looking at it for a resume builder to become a cop, then don't do it. Realistically, it won't help with most civilian law enforcement agencies.

mp's work every other weekend, 12 hour shifts, and the 3 on 3 off schedule. You have to be there at 4 a.m. to get briefs, weapons, etc. to be in the field by 6 a.m. then when you get off at 6p.m. you have to wait for the gate guys to come back turn in all gear then have to pt afterward. if you get a report at the end of the shift it must be turned in before you leave. so if you get a report at 5 p.m. you have to finish it that night no matter how long it takes. most mp's deploy now doing strictly convoys and some do base security as well. If you want to be a cop after you get out be a grunt 0311 0331 and 0351 is the way to go for police training cuz you do mout trainin searches and checkpoints

I'd agree with 'imout' for the most part. No, I'm not an MP, but if you are looking for a LEO career once you leave the Marine Corps, pick another MOS. Just my 2 cents, others quite possibly will disagree.

I agree totally with Sgt Leprechaun and imout. If your looking at a LE career, go 03XX. Some of the 58's Ive kept in contact with attempted/became civie LE and they said it was a *****. Its kinda like teaching an old dog new tricks.

Thread Information