Pilot requirements
Create Post

Pilot requirements

I would like some info on joining the Marine Corps as a pilot, what are the requirements, and how hard is it to be accepted.

Quote Originally Posted by J Osadciw
    I would like some info on joining the Marine Corps as a pilot, what are the requirements, and how hard is it to be accepted.
    Ok...there are several ways:

1. United States Naval Academy. How you get under an air contract with the USNA, I don't know.

2. Naval ROTC (Marine Option) - talk to an MOI from the college you wish to attend. He/she will know much more than me.

3. Platoon Leaders Class - Contact your local OSO (Officer Selection Officer). You'll need to apply for PLC under an Air contract. It's called PLC-Air. There are only certain number of air slots on each selection board.

Here's what I suggest you have before you apply (not the minimum, but what you SHOULD have if you want to be selected)

A. Be enrolled in a college/university with the intent to complete a 4 year degree
    B. 250 or higher PFT. 240+ might get you in but 250+ is usually safe.
    C. 5 letters of recommendation. 1 from a Dean and 1 from a Professor
    D. 2.5 or higher GPA
    E. Acceptable ASVAB or ACT/SAT score. Minimum is 74, but I'd venture to guess they'd require much higher for PLC-Air.

anyway talk to your OSO. I'm sick of typing about the PLC. I do it all the time.

It's a long and very difficult road. The best thing you can do now is keep in top physical shape and dedicate a lot of time and discipline to your academics. They don't give multi-million dollar training programs to "C" students.

And by the way, the Marine Corps and Navy have aviators, not pilots. : )

If you're physically and mentally able, it should not be too hard to get selected under an Air Contract. I think your best option is the Naval ROTC-Marine Option.

$150,000 scholarship is hard to turn down.

Well I scored a 85 on my ASVAB and I have a 3.5 GPA in school so is that a good start?

Well I scored a 85 on my ASVAB and I have a 3.5 GPA in school so is that a good start?
    Yes, that's a good start. Are you entering your Senior year? Are you involved in sports? Do you already have a university picked out?

Are you just dreaming, or is this something you could be truly committed to?

Yes I am a Seinor, yes I swim, play football, and baseball, lookin into a few universities and yes I am committed

Yes I am a Seinor, yes I swim, play football, and baseball, lookin into a few universities and yes I am committed.

The next step would be to enroll in a university which has admitted you and talk to your MOI there or the local OSO.

Any recomendations on one of the best to go through?

Nice to be recommended by your congessman into the naval acadamy, if you got the grades and connections.

Pursuing the USNA is a great idea but keep in mind that A) it's a long shot and B) once you're in, it's a challenging lifestyle change. If you think you'd want to go that route, you should do some more net searching and make an appointment to visit your congressman.

A more attainable option is to pursue the NROTC scholarship. You'll have to apply for it, but they give out many more of those than academy appointments. Your school guidance counselor might even have the applications.

Unlike other career paths, your choice of university is not that important as long as it is accredited. Surely, any school with an NROTC program is good enough. Even if you pick a school without a program, you may be able to attend the NROTC classes by commuting to another university that has one.

Lastly, if you don't get an NROTC scholarship and you end up getting another scholarship or putting yourself through, you can go PLC. There's more info there on the links that L/Cpl JCAM provided.

One thing with NROTC-MO is that its like a full time job whilst going to school

you have a BOATLOAD of stuff to do and you have to act like a future Marine/Naval Officer 24/7. That means moto high and tights...shirts tucked in...saluting all officers on campus etc etc lol

with PLC you're a civilian except when you're at OCS for those 2x6 weeks/10 weeks

If you're think you're one of the best of the best, try for the US Naval Academy.

Its as tough or tougher to get in than any Ivy League School.

You better have a 3.5 GPA+ (Preferably 4)
    Bunch of clubs, activities and sports, preferably leadership role in some of them (student council treasurer, football team co-captain...something)
    Hell of a PFT
    And...that letter from Congressman..but if you're a stud you should have no problems getting one. Not every Midshipman knows a Congressman personally lol.

Thread Information