Sharpshooter
Create Post

Thread: Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

I recently joined DEP and was supposed to pick a MOS but didn't have the time at MEPS so I was given the opportunity to think of what i wanted. My overall goal is to be a sniper so I want a MOS that will lead me there so I was thinking infantry and work my way up, but my recruiter said that any one can apply for the scout sniper indoc regardless of MOS and become a sniper.So I was wondering if that was true.

If you want to be a sniper, be an infantryman. I've never even heard a rumor about someone that wasn't a grunt being a sniper- at least in recent times. (White Feather was an MP- but that was a different time.)

an aqquaintance of mine is a scout sniper, he just graduated his school. He was a grunt for 6 months before he did the indoc.

dude, do the 03 thing...even if you don't make sniper, you'll still be a bad ass.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    You want to be the first kid on your block with a confirmed kill ? Everyone that joins the Marines wants to be Recon or a Sniper. Well just being a Marine in any MOS is the best feeling and you are one of, The Few the Proud The Marines. All Marines are Rifleman and Grunts and trained for the field. Some do differant things to get the Mission done and every Marine MOS is important. It is the Marine Air Ground Team that kicks Ass in the new world of combat tactics. The Grunts best friends is those Helicopter Gunships over head, and those heavey Armor on the ground M1A1 Main Battle Tanks that support the Grunts. All Marines are Bad Asses if you seen the Air Ground Team in Action. Every MOS in the Marine Corps is important from Admin to Recon, because with out one the other would not work.

Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by SgtHMH
    You want to be the first kid on your block with a confirmed kill ? Everyone that joins the Marines wants to be Recon or a Sniper. Well just being a Marine in any MOS is the best feeling and you are one of, The Few the Proud The Marines. All Marines are Rifleman and Grunts and trained for the field. Some do differant things to get the Mission done and every Marine MOS is important. It is the Marine Air Ground Team that kicks Ass in the new world of combat tactics. The Grunts best friends is those Helicopter Gunships over head, and those heavey Armor on the ground M1A1 Main Battle Tanks that support the Grunts. All Marines are Bad Asses if you seen the Air Ground Team in Action. Every MOS in the Marine Corps is important from Admin to Recon, because with out one the other would not work.

Semper Fi
    yeah, that's what I meant to say...

(whispered) just remember kid, if you ain't infantry, you're just support.

****tt son, becoming a sniper aint that hard.

All you have to do is be in perfect physical shape, be mentally as sharp as a laser cut knife, have an iron gullet, 300 pound balls & a whole lot of motivation.

I don't know why you even had to ask, afterall, as you can see from my statement it's not that hard.

We had plenty of sharpshooters in our platoon, only 5 of us were good enough to be experts though.

(I know he's talking about snipers but thought I'd just toss it out there)

Quote Originally Posted by isaac3451027
    I recently joined DEP and was supposed to pick a MOS but didn't have the time at MEPS so I was given the opportunity to think of what i wanted. My overall goal is to be a sniper so I want a MOS that will lead me there so I was thinking infantry and work my way up, but my recruiter said that any one can apply for the scout sniper indoc regardless of MOS and become a sniper.So I was wondering if that was true.
    I think you're recruiter was at the kool aid before he spoke to you. But key word you said is anyone can "apply". Although that must have changed since I got out? I was sure only 03's could go? I know Quantico required it, maybe not divisdion? And some occasional MP's on the SRT go. Then again now there's a SS school on every base it seems. If you want to be a sniper, and I think Haffner summed it up best. Then you better be a great grunt first. With out being an 03, you might be able to "apply" but you'll never make it, they won't let you. You'll have to go to a STA indoc to go to the school and I doubt that they will let you make it, or that you'll be able to make it. You're going to compete against some hungry 03's that want out of a line company. And you'll need to have a good grasp of basic infantry skills, not what you get from the crucible or MCT. What you get as an 03. Don't pay too much attention to some odd circumstances where someone who wasn't an 03 may have nailed a school seat, to be an 8541 you need to be an 03.

Thanks for the info, I signed the papers yesterday for 03. Now to concentrate on being the best damn Marine i can be.

Quote Originally Posted by isaac3451027
    Thanks for the info, I signed the papers yesterday for 03. Now to concentrate on being the best damn Marine i can be.
    That's the 1st step. Good job! Now make something of your opportunity.

in my old unit you had to be in the unit for a year they didnt want any boots. you also had to have a first class pft and be a rifle expert. then had to take the indoc and if you passed the chain of command had to release you so you could switch platoons. almost every grunt unit has scout snipers so being a grunt is the first step in being a sniper good luck

Maybe one day you'll now why STA is called the Sun Tan Associaion.

Thread Information