Data and Communication /28XX
Create Post

Data and Communication /28XX

Is the package code for this DB? Does anyone know or have experience within this MOS and can you please shed some light on it on how long the training is and example of daily routine etc? Here is a link with more detail http://usmilitary.about.com/od/enlistedjo2/a/28.htm

28XX jobs fix the radios and other communication gear. The school is in 29 Palms and is quite long. You start off in a basic electronics course where everyone is together, and then divide up to learn to work on your particular items.

On a day to day basis you'll be in a shop working on gear. However, when your unit goes to the field, you will as well. You may be expected to spend time on radio watch with the operators, or you may just be waiting on something to fix.

bump anyone got anymore info?? yes i tried searching AND googling >_<

The 2800 field is probably the biggest field in the Marines with hundreds of MOSes. We basically fix all electronic gear (non aviation).

I was a 2841 radio repair and 2884 radar repair and spent over a year in school.

Do you want to know about daily routine while in school or after you graduate (if you do)?

Schooling is VERY basic.

It also depends on what unit you get sent to in the fleet. You can go to a Victor unit and babysit the operators and not doing much high tech fixing.

They sent me to ELMACO and we fixed everything down to the circuit board level.

Well I am in the 2887 field. I am an artillery electronics maintenance tech. I have worked on a great deal of gear to include the MMS, AN/TPQ-46A, MVS ect ect. The schooling is very very very very long trust me. The first school you'll be at is Basic electronics and that is in 29 palms, california. It is about a month or so. Then your follow on school is at FT. Sill Oklahoma (Army Base) very s$%^& living conditions and hooah's all around. That school is 7 months or so and you don't start till you pick up. FT. Sill really sucks. After you're done with all of your schooling you'll get to leave for your duty station. From there you can get deployed to Iraq where you'll be on a radar team in which you'll operate and fix the system. You could also be placed in another number of equipment like the MMS ect ect. Oh yea and whenever you're going through the radar classes you'll first learn how to operate all the different systems and test equipment then you'll finally be able to work on radars if you're lucky enough to make it that far. The 2887 field is very very small so its hard to rank up and our highest rank is a Gunnery Seargent. Hope that info helped. Unless you were looking for something specific then I can try to tell you about it. I know some stuff about what the radio techs go through but not too sure about everything. Let me know if that helped at all.

Semp-Fi,
    Cpl Diep

Thread Information