Quick Ship
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quick Ship

Quick Ship

First I will introduce myself, my name is Seth I am 18 and I graduated HS June 1st. I just signed my contract yesterday and my ship date is 20070904. I picked the quick ship date because of the incentive and the fact that I have nothing else going on in my life at this point in time. I took my IST yesterday (about 94 F outside) and got 10:07 on my run time, 85 crunches and 8 pullups (they told me I was going up too far so I could probably easily get 5 more) so I have 11 days to get more prepared mentally and physically. I do understand that my IST was not very good, so along with that what should I study/read (online) to help prepare mentally? What should I do to prepare physically? Just run and do pushups/pullups/sit ups?

Thats funny your shipping within a few weeks. I seen posts on here of people complaining that they have to wait months to go to recruit training.

Im not a Marine or anything, but to answer your question.

In you situation I would work on the running, with weights if you can. I wouldnt worry about the studying, you should learn all that in training.

This is coming from no experience though, its just what Id do.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Seth, you are good to go on your IST! The mental part---well you can not prepare for that! Just relax, learn your knowledge, and charge on!

The IST doesn't mean jack, Poolees.

DO NOT TRAIN TO PASS THE IST!

They don't do an IST at boot camp, and you will have wasted your time preparing yourself to accomplish less than half the work expected of you.

Marine Haffner made an excellent post about the IST recently. Read it.

Other then that, read through the forums as best you can to try and learn the knowledge you need, and then remember you won't be prepared enough anyways, its a whole different world. Stay motivated and push yourself.

Well, you do go through the IST once you arrive at Recruit Training. I dont know, I wouldent tell people not to train for the IST and "less than half the work expected of you." is not right. Crunches and the Pull-Ups are the same as a PFT the only differance is half the distance of the run. When I first go into DEP I couldent even run 3 miles so training to get better on 1.5miles helped me. I just increased slowly.

Anyway, sskidn, thats awesome you get to go so quick. Try and learn the 11 General Orders before you go. Your IST looks fine. Browse around the internet and read some stories of people expierences at Boot Camp. It will give you a general idea of what you can look foward to. Here, the Sticky, "Recruit Training Survival Tips" has some good information that I'm sure I'll put to use. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeC049
    I dont know, I wouldent tell people not to train for the IST and "less than half the work expected of you." is not right.
    Why is that?

Motivate yourself to train harder faster and better then the IST, PFT and then maybe your body won't be as bad of a wreck at boot camp as the DI's plan on making it.

I've also never heard that you do an IST at boot camp.... EVER.

I noticed people talking about not getting to ship right away, but most of them seem to be infantry. I am doing 06xx. I have read a lot on the forum before I even posted. Thanks for the advice. Can't wait to meet the sand fleas

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kbs95125
    If you look at the training matrtix for both depots you will see that you do the IST on Black Friday for the females and Saturday for the Males! Do you care to debate that with a Marine?

www.mcrdpi.usmc.mil/training/matrix/index.htm

Quote Originally Posted by kbs95125
    Why is that?

Motivate yourself to train harder faster and better then the IST, PFT and then maybe your body won't be as bad of a wreck at boot camp as the DI's plan on making it.

I understand what your saying. I just started small, 1 mile, 1.5 miles, 2, then 3, and I can go beyond that now.

http://www.mcrdpi.usmc.mil/index.htm
    You do the IST during recieving
    "The Initial Strength Test (IST) is a physical test recruits are required to take upon arrival to Parris Island. It determines if the recruit meets minimum fitness standards and to set a baseline for measuring progress."

My mistake, I always thought it was a PFT first.....

I wasn't debating it, just saying I had never heard that. I've never really gone in depth with the training matrix....mostly because of the ever changing rumors.

I understand starting small, but its really all about motivation. Plus I was going with the fact that he has alot less time to "prepare" then most Poolees, so he should train for the highest goals, rather then lower.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    R-U-M-O-R-S--------sigh------------if it ain't in writing, it don't exist! Never, ever forget that Poolees--------NEVER!

I thought they gave the IST one just to make sure you were good to go in starting RT and didn't need to be dropped to PCP?

Mike

When I first signed up, I couldn't even run a quarter of a mile (seriously). I never trained for the IST. I knew that the Marine Corps requirement was a PFT, and so I built myself up to that. You should never focus on running the distance that you're tested on. For example, since the IST is 1.5 miles, focus on running 2 or 3 miles so that 1.5 will be easy for you. Then, when you're a Marine and you have to run 3 miles, practice running 4 or 5 miles. That way, when it comes time to do your 3 mile PFT, it will seem like nothing and you'll be able to run faster because you'll be stronger and it'll be shorter than what you're used to.

Quote Originally Posted by sskidn
    Can't wait to meet the sand fleas
    Dont kill them, a recruit in my brother in laws platoon killed one, then the DI's made him dig a six foot deep hole, bury it, then they held a memorial service.

I got a good chuckle, and filed it under "note to self"

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Nice! You are shipping out so soon. Mine is still exactly 10 months away -.-
    Everyday until you ship, if you haven't done so already, study your "Welcome Aboard Packet." You should've got one from your Recruiter when you got your Certificate of Enlistment to DEP. Study everything under "Things You Need To Know Before You Go" section: General Orders, Marines' Motto, Mission of the Marine Corps, Marine Corps Birthday, Protocol (Practice speaking in 3rd person,) Oath of Enlistment, and Marines' Hymn. If you already did those, there are way more knowledges on this forum, some are here: http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=49232
    http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=28850
    With simple search you will find way more.

I wouldn't suggest doing PT until right before you ship, but at least until 3-4 days before would be good. Recruit Training is more mental than physical part and you will never be ready for that. But Just be ready... LOL That doesn't make sense, but you know what I mean right? ;]

Thread Information