Introduction
Create Post

Thread: Introduction

brian21johansen
    Guest Free Member

Introduction

I've made a couple of posts on this site but haven't yet made an introduction. Well here it is:

My name is Brian Johansen and I'm from Weymouth Massachusetts. (Five Weymouth citizens have been awarded the Medal of Honor making it the city with most Medal of Honor recipients in the United States). I'm 18 years old and have wanted to become a United States Marine sine I was about 10-11. My ship date is 15October2007. Currently my MOS is Military Police-but I am VERY serious about changing it to something more combat related, preferably 0311. (I went to talk to my recruiter about changing it once-but he kinda got mad) Does anybody know if I can still change my mos?

If you signed the contract already I think your stuck with what you got. Im not 100% on that though.
    Being a MP in the Marines aint no joke though.
    My friends brother was a Marine, 0311. I guess he was doing something he wasnt supposed to be doing, and this MP got involved, just doing his job...
    Long story short, he got in a fight with the MP.
    Then was dishonorably discharged.
    Id assume MPs put up with this crap on a daily basis though?

brian21johansen
    Guest Free Member
    I've heard that it can be a tough job, and a lot of people (from what I hear) disslike MP's. Not my opinion, just what other people told me. I just don't think it's the job for me, I know the Marine Corps dosn't really care too much what I want, but I'm sure they wouldn't mind people going 0311. If I can remember correctly, I never signed ANY papers after choosing my MOS-but then again I can't really remember.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Brian----MP duty is one of the most unappreciated MOSs in the Corps. They are the police of the Corps that must handle the worst of the best----if that makes sense! There is crime anywhere there is people and the MPs have to take care of the Marines and Sailors in thier charge, just like the City, county, State and federal police do in the civilian world. You could do worse, as far as a MOS. There had to be a reason you chose that to begin with, so remember what it was and stick to it! If it was good enough then, it still is. Think about it!

I agree davblay, sometimes I go back and fourth on decisions I've made. Then I remember the exact reasons I made my first decision & everything is all warm and fuzzy again.

If you havnt signed any papers confirming your mos as a MP, I'd go hassle the poor recruiter some more, who works 6 outta 7 days a week. Nothing is for sure until it is in writing.

Yeah. I told my recruiters I wanted Infantry the first day I got there. Well then I realized that I had two other slots. Well I only chose MCSF as my second one choice. My recruiter gave me MP. Ohh I would ****ing hate if I got selected for that ****. I don't even look forward to the **** that they do.

If I'm not mistaken, given the current situation in Iraq, aren't MP's highly combat involved at this point?

I was looking into 5811 because I'd like to eventually get a 5812 secondary... long and tough road ahead of me, and a little bit of luck too.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    KBS,,,,,, Go to bed,,, It will serve you well.

brian21johansen
    Guest Free Member
    Thanks for everyone's input........I talked to my recruiter again about it and pretty much he said I'm not changing my MOS lol. The part that interested me in the job at first was that I'd (from what I was told) have the option of garrison duty(boring stuff, pulling people over on base for speeding, writing tickets, that kind of thing) of field duty. Field duty was explained to me as:I could Zip Tie terrorists and shoot them in the F***ing mouth. Or something to that extent. At the time I though that sounded pretty cool, and I kind of thought as a field MP as an elite type of unit. I'll make the best out of my decision, I'm sure it will be a good choise in the end. Honestly, I wouldn't care what my job was (to an extent) as long as one day I earn the title of United States Marine.

Thread Information