Various questions; Dental, Basic, ...
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Various questions; Dental, Basic, ...

• I had to have one of my front teeth and the tooth beside it removed due to infection, caused by an unfortunate injury. I had a dentist make me a "flipper" deal; basically it's a retainer looking thing with two false teeth on it to make it look like I have all of my teeth. The full procedure to fix my teeth takes 12 months total time and requires implanting rods into the jaw, etc.

My question is, will the Marines do anything to take care of this or will I just have missing teeth?
    • I hear the sand fleas are a big deal at recruit training. I read somewhere that you can put some product on yourself that will make the sand fleas leave you alone.

Can you bring these things with you to recruit training? This is different from what I've heard; that you shouldn't bring anything with you. Is everything issued to you, like toothbrush, toothpaste, shaving kit, etc, or do you go to a store there and buy it?

I may have some more questions that I'd like to post in this topic later on. I ask that if you do not have the answers to my questions and have anything negative to say to please keep it to yourself. Thanks.

No one here has anything negative to say Aaron.The Marines on this site are extremely helpful and though they may send some "ribbing" our way or various insults it's all in fun and if you cannot deal with that then how will you hold up during recruit training with the drill instructors?

That being said,the sand fleas are a part of life at P.I your going to have to deal with it like it everyone else.My brother used to write home about how annoying they where but after a while he just learned to accept them,a few recruits attempted to get the ointment you are talking about,but the Drill Instructors wouldn't have any of it,and threw it away.Maybe things have changed since then i am not sure,but that is what I have been told by my brother (he graduated in october 2001,he was at P.I during sept 11th,NOT FUN)

To begin, giving Marines directions on how to answer your questions isn't a great idea~ unless you just want the negative comments.

You'll have to talk to the people at Dental about your teeth. I'm sure that they'll do something about it, I just don't know what.

You're going to have to deal with sand fleas. But, if you can't take a bug bothering you then I don't know how you'd deal with the enemy bothering you.

Yeah, just slap a bug while you are supposed to be invisible in enemy territory, I am sure they won't mind... The training in NOT smacking bugs really does have a purpose, even if you don't happen to approve.

Oh yeah, you don't have the right to tell me how to answer your thread since you aren't a Marine, however I do have the right to answer in any way I see fit as long as I behave myself within the ROE. You are talking the Marine Corps here, not the WIMPY corps, thus you WILL get answers you may not like or approve of. Deal with it and move on...

Quote Originally Posted by Cwalling
    That being said,the sand fleas are a part of life at P.I your going to have to deal with it like it everyone else.My brother used to write home about how annoying they where but after a while he just learned to accept them
    I figured that was the case, but thought it wouldn't hurt to ask. I'd feel pretty lousy if I was the only one to show up who didn't have something to combat sand fleas.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    My question is, will the Marines do anything to take care of this or will I just have missing teeth?

They may not do anything while you are in bootcamp because that procedure may take away training days you may have to wait until after your schooling and hitting your first duty station.If the navy even does that procedure. Your recruiter should know or they will let let you know in bootcamp for your medical/dental week.

One consolation that you will have going to bootcamp around 17 Sept you will more than likely graduate around or shortly after Christmas so just just ask Santa Claus for your two front teeth..... Is that negative enough for ya poolee?

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Rule #1 of Equipment at MCRD: If the Corps doesn't issue it to you in boot camp, you don't need it.

Rule #2 of Equipment at MCRD: If you think you need it and the Corps didn't issue it to you, see Rule #1.

I knew you were from the south when i seen the headline.
    But i hope all works out for you.

Another question: I'm having some trouble with crunches. Here are my current IST results (from pool functions).

Pullups: 15
    Crunches: 50
    Run-1.5: 12:40

Height: 6' 0"
    Weight: 161 lbs.

Can you guys give me some pointers? Thanks.

well you will hear some peopel suggest use weights when you do crunches but dont that will jsut build muscle and bulk you up causing you more difficulty to do crunches......but dont forget to work on that run time....

Doing crunches with weight will not make it more difficult to do crunches anymore than doing bench presses would make it more difficult to do push ups. That said, you don't need more weight, you just need to do more crunches.

Thanks, I'll keep working at it.

That reminds me of another question, since you mentioned not to forget about running.

I've been told a lot of it has to do with how you breath. Is that true? Can you explain how that works? I keep forgetting to ask my recruiter that question. But I think the solution will probably be simple; Run more! So I need to work on running more as well.

Thanks.

when you breathe in thru your mouth out thru your nose or was it in thru your nose out thru your mouth oh hell i dont remember just breathe

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Breathing is a good thing,,,, Taking notes?. Ever heard of a second wind? You gotta earn it.

I made a mistake, my run time is 11:40 not 12:40. Anyway, I still need improvement. I plan on dedicating my last 3 weeks to running long distances and figuring these crunches out.

Thread Information