Can you get in to the Military if you lie about stuff?
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Can you get in to the Military if you lie about stuff?

Can you get in to the Military if at the age of four you were put on ridilian and then as a teenager went through deppresion and got put on ceriquiell a antidepression mediciation and was put on a 72 hour psyc watch because you were suicidel then when you decided to go to the Military four months ago stopped cold turkey but have also done illegal drugs up until alittle over a week ago but figure if you dont tell anyone about it that it will be ok. I just found all of this out tonight about someone close to me who is planning to join either the Marines or the Navy. And I am worried that this person might need some real help for one but probably wont listen to me but also wonder if you can even get in with this stuff having happened. I dont think it is at all good to lie about! But can you lie about this stuff and never have it be found out about? Any and all opions are very welcome thank you=)

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    As for the illigal drugs, they do urine tests and blood tests at MEPS. And if that person did that until recently, they will find out no matter what... In my opinion, the best way is to tell the truth, and see if you can get waiver for those... Well the first step is to talk to local recruiter if you have not done so. I hope everything works out okay.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Interesting psych history. That alone might disqualify him, never mind the illegal drugs. Especially if he lies about it.

It isn't a good idea to stop anti-depressants cold-turkey either. Most of those drugs you should be weaned from them. I know.

Your friend doesn't sound like someone I'd like to see in the Corps or the Navy or any other branch for that matter.

My boot camp platoon had a guy who joined the Marines as a means to kick a bad drug habit (pills, if I remember correctly). This was before regular drug testing (1971). He fell apart within a week after pickup. He was a mess. Not violent, just a total mush bag. He was so bad, the DIs stopped punishing the platoon for his screw ups and we were in only the first week of training.

They nailed him with fraud enlistment, the whole works.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    To quote Marine 84, "if it walks like a duck"!! Never, and I mean Never lie to a recruiter! Period! It aint worth it, not to yourself or to the people in your platoon that will suffer because of you. Never lie about anything as most, not all, things are waivable. But the Recruiter has to know about it. My suggestion is to let him/her go see a recruiter themself and see what's what.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Ha, lie if you want. Chances are, you'll get caught eventually, and then you can go through the painful process of being kicked out because of fraudulent enlistment. You don't want that to happen.

Credits
    Savings
    I would make this decision: Do you want this person working on the equipment YOU'll drive, ride, shoot? Do you trust this person ( assuming he / she first cleaned up their act ) to be a strong and hard working military member that you yourself want to be associated with? If the answers are yes, then tell them to be honest with themself first, then the recruiter and see where it falls for them. If either of the above answers are no, be honest and suggest to them the US military is not where they belong.

It's an adult decision to give this person good advice, not an emotional one. Don't tell them what they want to hear, tell it like you see it.

I also saw a couple of guys in my boot camp platoon who were removed because they didn't know when to grow up and clean up before boot camp. If you think this persons life was tough before, compound their problems with a negative type of military discharge. That will guarantee a whole host of worse challenges, and any recovery will be more difficult.

....2 cents
    C

With you Riddlin its a definite no go. No matter how young you were or when you stop. Plus since you stated suicidal, hell no. Don't try man.

They find out EVERYTHING at MEP's, and your recruiter goes to the courthouse to get a police record. They have doctor records, surgery records, damn, they have everything. If you lie its just more trouble, and not to mention ILLEGAL. I wouldnt do it. At all.

Oh I have told him my opinon of not being honest about it but he says they wont know so.. And to be honest he is doing this as a way of finding a direction in life and was already kicked out of collage. He thinks this is an easy way to get a good job and get good money and his mom is pushing it hard! He is twenty one and lives at home with her.

Don't worry about us. We'll protect our ranks from his type. If he attempts to join the army or navy, they may have looser standards but everyone gets a **** test at MEPS. Stand by for some tall tales about why we won't let him in.

Quote Originally Posted by fruitycherry
    Oh I have told him my opinon of not being honest about it but he says they wont know so.. And to be honest he is doing this as a way of finding a direction in life and was already kicked out of collage. He thinks this is an easy way to get a good job and get good money and his mom is pushing it hard! He is twenty one and lives at home with her.

Tell him to find a new direction for his life. This is not some "easy way" to get his crap squared away. How dare he disrespect those who have, are, and will put themselves through the HARD WORK that is what it takes to become a Marine. He may be 21 and living with his mom, and thats not really important. Whats important is that he is 21 and acting like a child by thinking its ok to still lie, especially to a government agency. If he wants to grow up, he should do that first. The Marine Corps is here to be the leanest, meanest, toughest first response military branch, not a baby sitting diaper changing service.

Oh I was not saying the thing about him living with his mom as being part of his problems other then that she is a major influince

Credits
    Savings
    It used to be that sometimes a young person was given a second chance by choosing an enlistment in the USMC over going to jail. Things are not what they once were. Being an optimist, I would hope to see your friend mature enough to face himself and straighten out. If the military, Marines or other, is what he sees as a solution, then he should not give up. Marines protect to death the honor they have received and earned. It is no joke. He needs to be upfront and honest with his recruiter. If he gets in with waivers from the recruiter, then he gets his chance fair and square. If he lies and gets to boot camp and then they yank him or he gets caught being stupid, this ain't the deans office. It's real brig time, and it's permanently on the record, and it will forever haunt him. PS - His bad habits will not be "fixed" by the military. He needs to unscrew himself first. And he isn't unscrewed, the screwing he will get will be like no other.

Isn' liyng on official papers considered a felony? Meaning that this person can be imprisoned if the government finds out?

Yeah, but to an certain extent.

1. If you fake your Identity
    2. If you still use drugs.
    3. Lying on your "Moment of Truth"

I had asthma, but on my papers I said I weez. My school records said I had Asthma, but my school were not doctors. I have no asthma symptoms any longer. I can run, smoke doesn't bother me, and I have no problem breathing. Since there is no way to prove if you have out grown asthma, I was advised to say I just weez.

Thread Information