Whats The Toughest Summit - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Summit Pale Ale.

Pretty much any mountain in Camp Pendelton that the Master Sergeant would take us through, that really didn't have all that much of a path, was painful. For sure though Mt. MFKR was a beast. A beast i hope i never meet again.

Marine Free Member darkgreen0311's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Images

Dark Green 0311

I was stationed at San Mateo Bravo Co 1/7 for 4 years and humped alot of them. I can't remember all the names but Casey springs was one and Mt Motherf***er is a legend.

SEMPER FI 4 LIFE
    YOURS IS NOT TO QUESTION WHY BUT TO DO OR DIE

Quote Originally Posted by darkgreen0311
    Bravo Co 1/7
    Ooorah pard

--->Dave

Fortunately I had never had to hike it, but running to the benchmark in San Mateo was always a ball breaker. The last 30-40 yards of it were the absolute worst. With hiking I always seemed to have a harder time going downhill than uphill. Going up, you can just grind it out and push your body. Coming back down, I always felt one step away from a broken ankle or goin' over the rail. Anybody else out there a freak like me?

Quote Originally Posted by usmchauer
    Fortunately I had never had to hike it, but running to the benchmark in San Mateo was always a ball breaker. The last 30-40 yards of it were the absolute worst.
    A USGS bench marker at the summit? what was the altitude engraved on it.

Quote Originally Posted by SlingerDun
    A USGS bench marker at the summit? what was the altitude engraved on it.
    That's a good question - it seems vaguely familiar that there was a small concrete podium-like thing at the top, with maybe a plaque or some numbers on it, but I'm not about to go find out exactly what it said.

Marine Free Member darkgreen0311's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Images

Darkgreen 0311

Do any of you remember seeing any Mountain Lions at Pendelton i remember seeing one at San Onofre at Infantry Training School.

SEMPER FI 4 LIFE
    YOURS IS NOT TO QUESTION WHY BUT TO DO OR DIE!!

Quote Originally Posted by darkgreen0311
    Do any of you remember seeing any Mountain Lions at Pendelton i remember seeing one at San Onofre at Infantry Training School.

SEMPER FI 4 LIFE
    YOURS IS NOT TO QUESTION WHY BUT TO DO OR DIE!!
    I saw scat in the middle of Basilone road and tracks in the mud and more scat on the trails at Case springs but never saw a live one. I doubt they ambushed Bison, maybe sheep and illegals. Heres a couple of stories from Marines who claimed to have seen Sasquatch on the high benches above Onofre

http://www.bfro.net/GDB/show_report.asp?id=2816

http://www.bfro.net/GDB/show_report.asp?id=2907

Quote Originally Posted by SlingerDun
    While on an 8 mile (Gut Maintenance) Hike today i was thinking about the hills of Pendleton. Most of them were no name mankillers like those in the NE towards Case Springs, the names i recall were: Old Smokey, 1st Sergeants Hill, and the notorious Mt. MF'er.

Smokey is a grinder of a hump that takes plenty of stamina, 1st Sergeants Hill looks imposing and although i was stationed near the base of it for some 5 months never had the sorry pleasure of ascending it. So for sheer vertically induced pain under a heavy load i'm leaning towards Mt. Mutha...It would be interesting to hear personal accounts of bonafide ass kickers at Pendelton, other bases or in foreign countrys that have indelibly carved positions into Grunt diary's.

--->Dave
    When I was there in '55 The two bad hlls were Little Aggie and Big Aggie and I clearly remember duck walking up to the tops with the seabag on my shoulders.
    Semper Fi
    Wally

Devils Rest in the Columbia River Gorge is a steep, rocky, muddy mess and my current nemesis. I gotta quit smoking.

--->Dave

7 steps to heaven PI and Old mount Mother

there was a hill over by las pulgas call little suribachi that was a fun run and one by camp horno called the microwave

The only hill that I remember from Pendelton was Nellies tit.

Mount Mother Fker and Sawback on Okinawa are the worst ones that I had the pleasure of humping. I still think Mount Mother Fker is the worst. Mt Fuji is also an ass kicker.

I thought "Iron Mike" in front of SOI was pretty tough. I hated doing ridge runs. And "Mt. Mother Fkr" was no joke either. I said "Mother Fkr" all the way to the top.

Thread Information