The Beginning
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Beginning

The Beginning

Well let me introduce my self I'm Dan a 19 yr old HS Grad. and as of tomorrow 20070730 I will be signing into the Marine Corps DEP. I have always wanted to be a Marine and my plan was to take the commissioned route and i got into the collages that i wanted and was going to be in the ROTC, but i decided that the collage life isn't for me and that ill take care of that while I'm in the Corps. Tomorrow and tues i will be taking the ASVAB and doing all the physicals and stuff needed. I have a idea of the MOS that I want to shoot for well four of them, Recon, Security forces (FAST) , Security forces (PRP), and Intel. So we will see what happens. I am hoping for a ship date after the 1st of the year due to family obligations. Its funny how I keep on having people asking me why I'm doing it and why not collage and if I'm sure, my answer is simply that it will help me out in the future when i pursue a gov career but first and foremost I'm doing it for myself and my country, and for what i believe in.

But then you have people telling me that I'm to smart to be in the Marines and the truth is i feel like punching them right in the face and tell them to stop listening to John Kerry. when the truth is I'm going to shoot to become a Mustang by Pursuing a Commission after 4 years in and hoping to get out in 8-12 years so i can begin a GOV job. Then ill go back to those people and tell them to shove it.

Well getting back on track I take my ASVAB tomorrow (monday) and the rest of the stuff Tues so ill keep you all updated on how I do and the MOS i choose But I don't want to dream too much as i still have Boot camp and other obstacles in my way. But until then ill enjoy chatting with you all.

-Dan

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    "TO SMART TO BE IN THE MARINES"?

Welcome to the site, look forward to seeing you post on this forum.

Must just be a popular phrase or something since I got the same lame-ass line.

Yea I read your post thinking **** should i post this? Because it was a similar line but I have been told that plenty of times

dude, just go regular old 03XX.

that's my advice.

Quote Originally Posted by chili77bowl
    dude, just go regular old 03XX.

that's my advice.
    Three of your four choices are in this MOS.

The other one is 02xx or 26xx. So 03 looks like the way to go.

You could easily do 2 of the 3 in one shot. Your easiest route would be to go for either one of the Security Forces billets, then after your tour take the Recon screening.

As a new enlistee, I am sick and tired of people telling me that the Marines is the wrong choice. My original plan was to also go to college, get a degree, then a good job, and settle down. But that life sucks. Right now I hate my job, Michigan sucks ***, and I dont want to go to college right away.

I've signed up for MOS 1361, engineering assistant and will hopefully be able to work on the rebuilding of the cities overseas. What the Marines have engineers? Thats usually the response I get from people.

Anyone else happen to be in the 1300's? I havent met many peeple that are.

DON"T OVERRIDE THE CENSOR>>>

Ellie

Last edited by thedrifter; 07-30-07 at 09:26 AM.

Good luck on your ASVAB today!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kegs24
    Must just be a popular phrase or something since I got the same lame-ass line.
    Yeah I got the same line to. People just don't get it.

Credits
    Savings
    Images

Welcome Aboard Danman!

First I want to say thank you for all teh welcomes and support and now just a heads up I did really well on my ASVAB and a veey high GT score so now i just have to pick a MOS so ill keep you all updated. Also my ship date is 20071203 but to be honest im going to try to request a change to ship after the holidays so we will see what happens.

-Dan

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    It sucks that you guys are having people question and doubt you own decisions. I am fortunate enough to have all my family and friends behind me all the way, most of them call me crazy but thats eather way. Don't let anybody hold you back, not even your peciouse girlfriend. If shes the one she'll be there at graduation with tears of joy.

Quote Originally Posted by Danman
    Also my ship date is 20071203 but to be honest im going to try to request a change to ship after the holidays so we will see what happens.

-Dan
    Im waiting until after the holidays as well. Leaving the 7th. It would be kinda cool if we were to be in the same platoon.

Quote Originally Posted by jells08
    not even your peciouse girlfriend. If shes the one she'll be there at graduation with tears of joy.

Ahh... the girlfriend... what to do what to do?

Thread Information