Marine Corps Dress Blues Jacket a fashion statement? - Page 6
Create Post
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    What I find amusing is that before 9/11, the proper way to dispose of an American flag was to burn it. Now I am confused.

On the issue of the jacket, I agree that she should be fired. She represents the part of America that doesn't give a **** about the military and cannot make the connection that tens of thousands of Marines died with that jacket preserving her absurd right to wear it. It's insulting.

Quote Originally Posted by Books
    What I find amusing is that before 9/11, the proper way to dispose of an American flag was to burn it. Now I am confused.

On the issue of the jacket, I agree that she should be fired. She represents the part of America that doesn't give a **** about the military and cannot make the connection that tens of thousands of Marines died with that jacket preserving her absurd right to wear it. It's insulting.
    You do burn it, but it is often done in long ceremony and the stripes and blue field and stars are separated. Its a long process and I have done many of these. If you have an unserviceable flag call up the Elks Lodge or VFW they will do it.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Funny.. I always heard somewhere it must be done without ceremony. Thats the way I do it.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    An individual, small group or organization can dispose of an American flag as long as the ceremony is respectful and relatively private proceeding (invited guests). This disposal ceremony should not be a dog and pony show especially with local officials or politicians that use this somber occasion as an opportunity to be seen and heard by the public.

Is this what you do Bugs?

I agree with everyone else that they don't deserve to wear it, but honestly I really doubt they have any idea what they are doing or have even considered it. I think/hope they would think twice if they actually knew what they were wearing or what it represents. They probably think it is the same as wearing a jersey.

Yeah its very somber and its often a learning experience for elementary students or Boy Scouts or other small groups. I've worked with different groups to do these. It gives you a chance to teach the kids the meaning of the flag and what it represents. Definitely not a pomp and circumstance event. Usually a group of students or Veterans...really simple.

Late

I am late getting in on this thread...but poolies like Marcus will not feel the proper outrage until it affects them. He is NOT a Marine, though he MAY become one. So perhaps he cannot understand what an affront it is for someone to wear that uniform almost in jest. It's not against the law to do alot of things, but it doesn't make it right.

I earned the privelege of wearing that uniform and any adornments, whether they be chevrons or hash marks for time in service. What does it mean if anybody can pick it up and put it on? They don't rate.

End of story.

Thread Information