Enlisting with Hypothyroidism?
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Enlisting with Hypothyroidism?

Hello. I was wondering is it possible to join while having hypothyroidism? It's a really small case that requires a low dosage. I suffer from none of the side effects and have no physical problems.

I'm gunna go with the only anwser the fits the question. Go ask a recruiter. That's a great place to start.

According to DOD Directive 6130.3, Physical Standards for Appointment, Enlistment, and Induction, and DOD Instruction 6130.4, Criteria and Procedure Requirements for Physical Standards for Appointment, Enlistment, or Induction in the Armed Forces- Hypothyrodism is a cause for rejection for appointment, enlistment, and induction.

Credits
    Savings
    What else does it say? Is there any way to waiver in? My case is so small, I only need one pill a week to keep it under control.

Quote Originally Posted by Hussar
    What else does it say?
    are you serious. It does'nt say anything else otherwise he would've posted the rest. Obviously it's saying that hypothyroidism is a no-go situation wether it's one pill or one million. But your best bet is still going to a recruiter and asking him. Just prepare yourself for the worst case scenario and youll be ready for any answer. If I were you I wouldn't get my hopes up though.

Actually, you are all wrong. I was doing research about this when I was working with Snow. However, HYPOthyroidism as a condition UNCONTROLLED BY MEDICATION is a disqualifier, however, that would tell me that if it is controlled by medication that it is acceptable. Doing this I found some discussions on some other sites I will not mention here that individuals taking medication for this were getting basic BUMED waivers. However, HYPERthyroidism is a disqual no matter the medication.

Therefore, I believe that it is entirely possible for this individual to get in. It says it directly in DOD Instruction 6130.4 that the E1.6.8 Thyroid Disorder known as E1.6.8.2 Hypothyroidism. says next to it "Condition uncontrolled by medication" I would say the medication makes him eligeable and his response here sounds like the basic response required for a BUMED.

PS Kurbs...you got punked...don't answer until you do your research lol

Quote Originally Posted by bgsuwoody
    PS Kurbs...you got punked...don't answer until you do your research lol

you see, thats why i usually make it a rule to never deal in absolutes. That'll teach me not to post late at night after a 2 mile run and 3 beers. Lesson learned.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurby494
    are you serious. It does'nt say anything else otherwise he would've posted the rest. Obviously it's saying that hypothyroidism is a no-go situation wether it's one pill or one million. But your best bet is still going to a recruiter and asking him. Just prepare yourself for the worst case scenario and youll be ready for any answer. If I were you I wouldn't get my hopes up though.
    Whoa whoa buddy, let's calm it down. lol, dang. I understand where the OP is coming from -- he is concerned about his enlistment because of a medical issue. I am in the same boat, he was being very respectful, no need to jump down his throat.

Anyways, according to:

http://usmilitary.about.com/library/...lendocrine.htm

The disqualifying medical conditions are listed below. The International Classification of Disease (ICD) codes are listed in parentheses following each standard. The causes for rejection for appointment, enlistment, and induction are an authenticated history of:
    a. Adrenal dysfunction (255) of any degree.
    b. Diabetes mellitus (250) of any type.
    c. Glycosuria. Persistent, when associated with impaired glucose tolerance (250) or renal tubular defects (271.4).
    d. Acromegaly. Gigantism or other disorder of pituitary function (253).
    e. Gout (274).
    f. Hyperinsulinism (251.1).
    g. Hyperparathyroidism (252.0) and hypoparathyroidism (252.1).
    h. Thyroid disorders.
    (1) Goiter, persistent or untreated (240).
    (2) Hypothyroidism, uncontrolled by medication (244).
    (3) Cretinism (243).
    (4) Hyperthyroidism (242).
    (5) Thyroiditis (245).

It seems that you may be able to get a waiver for it, but I would speak with a recruiter. Good luck, report back with your results.

Ok it never hurts to repeat the right answer I guess! Attention to detail folks...good job with the research though. Oh and I already punked Kurbs for ya.

Quote Originally Posted by bgsuwoody
    Ok it never hurts to repeat the right answer I guess! Attention to detail folks...good job with the research though. Oh and I already punked Kurbs for ya.
    Well, I just showed him a link where he can read for himself. Confirming the truth is never bad.

Credits
    Savings
    Hello. Talked with a recruiter. With my case being especially light he said that there is a very good chance I can waiver in. Also he said it really depends when I go to MEPS.

Good job Hussar, did he tell you that going to MEPs towards the end of the month would probably get you in? Because the MEPs folks tend to let stuff slide at the end of the month. I personally know someone who served in the Air Force with your same condition, of course that's the Air Force and not the Marine Corps but still, he was able to serve active duty in a branch of our Armed Forces. Do whatever you have to do to get the waiver or whatever it is that you need. Put in as much work as you possibly can to get your tail-end on those yellow footprints because I know there are thousands of individuals that would kill to have the chance to serve in the Marine Corps.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Try to get that waiver...................

Mine went beserk after I had been in for a little over a year - had a goiter - they took 1/2 my thyroid and put me on synthroid for a while until I quit taking it on my own. My point being, a thyroid problem that's being treated isn't a big deal - if they'll keep you when you develop one, having one that's being treated going in shouldn't be a hold up. You would just have to get your meds through medical. Wouldn't hurt to ask.................

Thread Information