1972, HMM-165, USS Tripoli LPH-10
Create Post

1972, HMM-165, USS Tripoli LPH-10

1972, USS TRIPOLI / LPH-10, Kobe, Japan .

Were you onboard the USS TRIPOLI / LPH-10, March 11,1972 thru March 20,1972 , while the TRIPOLI was at KOBE, Japan.
    If you were please call or write or E-mail me.
    I was hit by a taxi cab. In Kobe,Japan during the daylight. (They drive on the wrong side of the road) And have had AMNISIA up until 2003 because of that. And know I only have BRAIN DAMAGE !! ONLY!! I have had a V.A. claim for the past 3 years. I have 7 or 8 letters from people that remember it happening, but , I need a letter from some of the people that saw it happen or the Marines that helped me back to the ship. And letters from the Marines and sailors that knew me after it happened. I was flown off the ship in April, May or June 1972 (I don’t know for sure) . And went to the Hospital in Subic Bay ( Cubi Point ). Then was sent to Fatema, Okinawa. Then sent to Treasure Island, San Francisco, Calif., and discharged.
    At Treasure Island they told me that they were going to give me a Medical Discharge. (I’d only heard of a Honorable discharge and a Dishonorable discharge). So I asked if I qualified for a Honorable discharge, and he said ,“yes”! And I said I wanted a Honorable Discharge. That’s what I got.
    My Brain was broken, I didn’t know that I should have gotten a Medical discharge…
    The Squadrons of helicopters that were onboard was HMM-165, HML-367, HMH-463, VMO-06. I think I have the HMH and VMO numbers right. We had Huey's, Cobera's, 46's, 53's, and OV-10's.
    But, I was the only one that was hit by a taxi !!!
    Please contact me . If you call, I’ll get your phone number and CALL YOU BACK SO YOU WON”T HAVE A BIG PHONE CALL BILL.
    I was in Flight Equipment shop, Paraloft, Squadron Barber shop.
    I was CPL. (E-4) AL (tim) HALSETH. From Minnesota, Wisconsin .
    E-mail , A3L@centurytel.net
    Phone home 1 870 424 3074
    Phone cell 1 870 405 1969
    Present home address
    AL Halseth
    885 C.R. 486
    Mountain Home, Arkansas, 72653
    Also if you know of or the were abouts of any of the following people please let me know. Lt. Commander McDaniels USN Squadron Flight Surgeon.
    Maj. D.M.Griffary, Maj. C.R. Upshaw, 1st Sgt. H.E. Cowan, Maj. T.A. Goldsborough, 1st Lt. T.C. Guarinot, 1st Lt. Jim Byrd, 1st Lt. Steve Ward, CWO Charlie Whitaker, MGySgt. H.C. Chaffin, MSgt. J.B.Harvey, SSgt. R.O. Jacks, Sgt. W.E. Ford, Sgt. Miner, Sgt. B.K. Thompson, Sgt. W.E. Westerfield, Sgt. N.G. Spiewak, Sgt. R.A. Newcom, Sgt. S.W. Gordon, Cpl. R.W. Thompson, Cpl. R.D. Miller, Cpl. S.A. Napierkoski, Cpl. P.D. Lewis, Cpl. M.O. Blackstone, Cpl. L.R. Thomason, Cpl. J.C. Griffin, Cpl. J. Mullinex, Cpl/ M. Morman, Cpl. W.G. Ford, Cpl. J.B. Gwen, Cpl. A.D. Costello, Cpl. C.S. Williamson, L/Cpl. T.E. Duncan, L/Cpl’s R.H.Good, G.C. Guardiola, D. Isler, A.T. Roy, J.M. Taylor, R.M. Languwski, W.B. King, J.D. Niven, Sampay, PFC’s L.J. Whitney, D.B. Moody, S.D. Bowen, 1st Class Gary Hensell USN

I Have letters from, 1st Lt. Phil Berkerich, 1st Lt. Mike Stanton, Sgt, William (VAN) VanEtten, L/Cpl. J.J. Chlebus, and family members and friends, saying I didn’t know my freinds and my wife. I left my wife 3 days after I saw her. I just didn’t know her. It was weird. I have one V.A. Doctor that says I’ve had Amnias for 30 plus years, he’s the one that told me I should put in a claim. A private Doctor. That says the same thing. The Tests show I’ve had brain damage to the right front temperal lobe of my brain. The VA just wants more letters saying they ,( saw, know of, heard of, saw me after, anything will help ). I’m losing my train of thought. Thanks Marines and sailors. AL

What I need is even a letter, saying you know of it , Heard of it, Remember hearing of it. All letters will help. Thanks Marines

Dear Al, I was on the same ship and you slept under me . I remember you were bleeding and someone said you were hit by a car. I though you were dead. I just remember them taking you to the ship hospital, after that i never hear any more about. I do remember that the japanese were not happy that we were pulling R&R. My name Don Stevens LCP USMC

Greetings Don,
    my email is , A3L@centurytel.net
    don if you let me have your phone no. I'd like to call you.
    my number is 870 424 3074.
    i'm living in Mountain Home, Arkansas now.
    thanks for writing.
    Semper Fi, AL

Hi Al ....
    Long long time... Don't Rember much. Ran into this posting just out by chance.. Looking to remember what ships I was on and where when I hit onto HMS165 and saw your posting. Yes. I Rember the incident though not much of the details of what happened. Need a picture of you to jog my memory much of my time in Kobe was being "married" for four days to a girl named Diane... No it was not legal. And another girl don't Rember her name.. But some guy told me she was great. We both ended up seeing the doc.
    was worth it! So hope I can help!

Robert Roberts

Looking for Marine Robert Roberts who served at Cherry Point HSM 20 in and around 1975 age now around 62-63 plus or minus
    John Mullinex

Thread Information