American Legion Questions
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

American Legion Questions

Does anyone have any experiences with the American Legion? I've gotten offers to join, but don't know if it's useful. I remember some older people in it, but haven't heard anygthing of the Legion recently. Is it worth joining or a waste?

The American Legion in many places has a pretty strong presence. They're heavily involved in protecting the rights of Veterans and support a wide range of community service programs. It's always a good idea to thoroughly check out an organization before committing to it but this is an excellent Veterans Organization that has been in business since 1919. Check 'em out.

http://www.legion.org/

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Local posts may be fine. Nationally the American Legion is an adjuct to the Republican National Committee.

I was a member for over 20 years, served as a post commander for five. I finally had to quit for reasons of concience.

Credits
    Savings
    Images

Thumbs up American Brewski??????????????????????????????

WELL NO-CHIT I'VALIS WHO WOULD EVER GUESSED MY MARINE BROTHER,YOU WERE A'PART TIME POLITICIAL.STOP BY SOMETIME,LET'S GET DRUNK!!!

Any veterans organization, for the most part, will be made up of individuals with a political leaning rightwards. The Legion is no different in that regard.

Check out your local post, or hit them on the net. All service organizations nowadays are really hurting for members. I belong to the local VFW, which has a strong presence in my community. I used to belong to the legion, but don't now because there isn't a local post, and I can only commit so much time.

Thanks for the info, guys. I'll give them a look; see what my local post is like. I'll have to figure out if there's a real difference between the Legion, the Amvets, and VFW.

I would like to recommend that you look for a local Marine Corps League detachment. Similar yo the American Legion, VFW, etc. but membership is limited to Marines and FMF corpsmen.

thanks, i'll go to their site now.

Credits
    Savings
    The so called "American Legion" has deep ties with many Masonic organiszations..

AIPAC...

Quote Originally Posted by obxmarines
    I would like to recommend that you look for a local Marine Corps League detachment. Similar yo the American Legion, VFW, etc. but membership is limited to Marines and FMF corpsmen.

+1

Credits
    Savings
    I would recommend the Marine Corps League over most others. I had been involved with the Semper Marine Detachment 205 for a few years now. I don't know how they chose but I was Marine of the year for 2005.
    I have not been too involved the past year due to the murder of my daughter and two grandchildren.
    I will be going back. It is always great to be with your brothers when having these problems. They make me feel a lot better

Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    The only experience that I had with the American Legion was when I was a weebutt and went to American Legion Christmas Banquets with the family.
    The one instance that stays in my mind was when they handed out Christmas presents to the tots (my twin brother and I included). Naturally, since we were twins, they had both presents tied together maybe just to see the ruckus that followed between my brother and I to see which had the bigger toy etc.
    Well, once everything settled down we both discovered that we each got the same present, that being a toy submarine that shot little plastic torpedoes. My dad emphasized to us that we weren't to start firing torpedoes around the banquet area, or any place else other than home.
    At our age we took baths with our parents. It was nothing out of the ordinary in those days. Anyway, on one memorable occasion I snuck my submarine with me into the bath tub. I know that I went in with four torpedoes and only came out of the bath tub with two. What happened to the other two? You guessed it. I fired two torpedoes, point blank, into the direction of my mother and father. To this day I don't know why they didn't sink! I never asked them what happened to the torpedoes either. LOL
    I think it was right after this occasion that my parents finally decided that that were old enough to take baths by ourselves.
    I have nothing but good memories related to the American Legion as well as, later on in my life, The Marine Corps League.

American Legion/Marine Corps League

I looked at the Marine Corps League's site; looks good. I had never heard of it, strangely enough. I think I'll contact them; I see there is a somewhat local chapter. I see they have a Young Marines program. I may have my 9-year-old get involved. Looks like a great program.
    Thanks for all the info, everyone.

Bbearmills: Sadly, many folks know nothing about the Marine Corps League (MCL), so you are not alone. I have belonged to the American Legion but I did not realate to them too much. Recently, I was asked to join a Marine Corps League detachment that was forming in my area. I joined right away and am not sorry I did. When we get together, we can all talk "Marine." The MCL also places an emphasis on service to the community rather than sitting around drinking and telling war stories. The best part is that when you go to meetings, you will wear the Marine Corps emblem on your cover. Let me know if you have any questions. I strongly encourage all Marines to check out the MCL: http://www.mcleague.com/mdp/

I to have been a member in the VFW, DAV, American Legion and the MCL. They can all be great groups and it is all in the area and the members also. I have been lucky the American Legion in my home area is the ones that place flags down the street and do have home less veterans in and get them fed clothed and many other things to help them through the winter. We put on a Loyalty Day Parade. The VFW has there bar and the DAV has there bingo. I have been active with the AL for 10 years and also the MCL and now the Young Marines.
    Yes they all can be good but check them in your area ask around you will find out.

Thread Information