Online Degree's and officer programs
Create Post

Online Degree's and officer programs

Hello, I was wondering if anyone knew anything about Online degree programs being accepted as "legitimate" by the USMC. And if they are would OSO's look down on candidates with an Online degree?

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cperschke
    Hello, I was wondering if anyone knew anything about Online degree programs being accepted as "legitimate" by the USMC. And if they are would OSO's look down on candidates with an Online degree?
    I can't speak to how an OSO will look at an on-line degree. Like any employer, the Marine Corps will determine if the on-line degree was offered by an accredited college or university, and if the on-line degree comports significantly to that of a bricks and mortar degree. On-line degrees are becoming more and more accepted as equal.

There are a number of legit colleges and universities offering on-line degrees at all levels. I took my MBA and my PhD on-line (I'm still working on my dissertation, actually). I know a former captain of the USS Saipan received an on-line doctorate from Capella University (my current school). I was in a class with the LtCol in charge of the Marine Corps Drum and Bugle Corps (and associated units), at 8th & I, while he was doing a masters degree (which he got).

On-line degrees, from a competent and academically/ethically strict school, can be every bit as demanding as a bricks and mortar school. Possibly harder, because of the extensive self-discipline required to do an on-line degree.

You have to discuss this with an OSO, but I'd suspect an on-line degree from a good school will be accepted.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I' gonna go shoot me an on-line gook, No offence.

If the college offering the degree is accredited by the US Department of Education- they are accepted. If it is some fly by night school or one of the degree mills, it won't work.

Thread Information