Did anyone take NJROTC in high school?
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Credits
    Savings
    Images

Did anyone take NJROTC in high school?

I wasn't thinking about joining NJROTC, until I got in DEP and thought about all the stuff that I will go through in the recruit training. haha, If I join I'll be the only senior in the first year of NJROTC class!

Would anything that you learn in first year of NJROTC help me with getting more knowledge about the recruit training? I mean it's not MCJROTC, so I don't know if I will be learning only Navy history and knowldge stuff, and that wouldn't really help me learn stuff about Marine Corps.

Also I am worried about the rifle training and qualification exam at the recruit training, I've never touched any gun/rifle before and I am afraid it will be hard for me to learn how to shoot. I heard about air rifle team stuff in JROTC, but I don't know anything else except that there is one.

If any of you had NJROTC, or any JROTC, could you please help me out with some info about these? Thanks!

I was in NJROTC or four years and It is what gave me the moto to join the Marines. I would recommend doing the year that you can, you won't get Pfc off of 1 year, but you will learn the 11 general orders and basic marching also if you get involved with drill competitoins you will get a small taste of what Marine DIs can do. If you have any mor questions or ned help with it feel free and ask

I took 4 years of it, and i came out Executive Officer my senior year. Now im shipping to PI in August. but yes, they teach you discipline, attention to detail, close order drill, and LOADS of other stuff your first year. ESPECIALLY how to wear the uniform. you will learn loads of stuff about your uniform. they will teach you Military Customs and Courtisies(sorry if thats spelled wrong), General Orders to the Sentry, and lots of other stuff. and about the Air Rifle team, they will teach you how to position yourself, teach you how to breathe when you shoot, and lots of other stuff. but not all of it is the same as the Marine Corps. my instructor told me that in the Marine Corps they have 4 shooting positions, instead of 3 like in NJROTC. but yes, NJROTC is a very good way to get self-discipline, attention to detail, and lots of other stuff you can use in the Military. If you have any other questions feel free to Private Message me here, or if you have myspace add me there... www.myspace.com/big_blue_devil

I graduated as 3rd in command as an O-5 and with Leadership Academy.(If you get inask one of the people with the silver cords how to make a rack). Again it was probibly the best thing I did in high school. Get involved with Drill teams definatly Color Guard is good. You learn basic rifle regulation.

Yea, i forgot about basic rifle stuff. and if your in, and you are drilling with rifles, never, i mean NEVER call it a gun. its always "Rifle"....and i graduated Executive Officer....i was an O-3 because we had a Company Sized Unit.

my advice is do it. it is a great experience

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Thanks a lot everyone! I'll be heading down to my counselor soon and get my schedule changed!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jungholee90
    Also I am worried about the rifle training and qualification exam at the recruit training, I've never touched any gun/rifle before and I am afraid it will be hard for me to learn how to shoot.
    In my experience in the Military, the best shooters are then ones that know nothing about weapons! Pay attention to your PMI and do your best! You'll do fine at the Range!

If you are smart you will say away from JROTC as all you will get there are bad habits which you Drill Instructor will have fun taking away from you. In the Marine Corps drill is different, Rifle qualification is different making a head call is different, and eating chow is different. Get my drift.

the drill we do in MCJROTC is by the Marine Corps Manual and is run by Marines

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Thanks, seeing that now there are 2 different view, All of the poolees are saying it's good and Marines are saying it's not necessary haha. Did you (davblay and Old Marine) take NJROTC also? It would also help me if any Marine recently out of Recruit Training who took NJROTC before could help me on this.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I took AROTC in high school - it teaches you a lot of the basic stuff but it's not necessary to have that under your belt going in. And Dave is right - the Corps would much rather have to teach someone to use a weapon than trying to break someone of "bad habits".

Quote Originally Posted by fraser
    the drill we do in MCJROTC is by the Marine Corps Manual and is run by Marines
    same here. when i took it, we did drill by the "Marine Corps Drill and Ceremonies Manual", and when we were at Drill Comps., the only Judges there were Marines. So ours was by their regs. too.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Thanks, well, Even if I get in JROTC, I am not going to be joining Drill Team because I don't really have time to practice every single day afterschool, I was just thinking about the class and air rifle. But from what I am hearing there is no need to learn things that I will basically have to correct or relearn at boot camp. I guess I will just master all the knowledge here and PT regularly, and just learn things fast and get them right the first time. Thank you for your inputs everyone!

MCJROTC may teach drill by the Marine Corps Drill Manual, but when I was on I&I Duty I used to judge these supposed drill competitions. Some of the worst excuses for drill I have ever seen.

There is only one person who can teach Drill and that is a Marine Corps Drill Instructor. No one else even comes close. I spent from 1966 to 1973 as a Drill Instructor and trained a lot of recruits, so I have a pretty good knowledge of the right and wrong was to teach Drill. The manual of arms that we taught then was with the M-14 Rifle and I do not know about any Rifles since then. I do know how to drill with the M1 as that is what I learned with in boot camp, and carried in Korea.

Thread Information