Changing Status from Poolee to Marine Friend
Create Post
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Changing Status from Poolee to Marine Friend

I've stayed away from this site for a while now...somewhat out of bitterness...but mostly shame. I will not be shipping on July 9, like I was supposed to be. When people tell you to be honest on your enlistment they are not just giving you good advice...it's something you really should do. About a month ago I had 2 problems addressed to me that resulted in my DQ. I had been convinced by one of the recruiters on an issue about childhood asthma, that I really didn't have it since I never used the inhaler that they gave me...maybe once or twice I did. He said that if I didn't use the inhaler then I obviously never had it. Well I was convinced on this issue. Then when i was talking to him about my concerns about ever have run ins with the police he said again that he checked and I was fine. Well as he kept telling me this I was still concerned because about a year ago when I had 1 friend arrested the cop stated that on all of our records we'd have a charge of underage possesion of alcohol on our records. Well when they pulled me in about a month ago they said that they knew of 2 instances at least where I lied during my enlistment. They brought up the asthma first and very quickly it got heated when I told them that I told them I did and they convinced me I didn't. Well that went on for a while before they finally mentioned the 2nd situation about the police record check. Well by then we were arguing because he was p***ed that I was quoting him on everything he said to me. Basically how it ended was that he said that he "Possibly could've made things work", but since I said that bull**** he wasn't gonna help me at all. Long story short...I got DQ'ed. I still am close with my original recruiter who's in Okinawa right now...we talk on the phone about once or twice a month and online a lot. Then the guy who was gonna be my new recruiter (the one who let me use his mustang for prom) has talked to me a few times. And we're pretty good. But my old recruiter...changed so much on me in 3 seconds. It's been a rough month after that, but I'm managing I guess

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    It's a hard lesson to learn. Sorry sweetie - wait a while, try again and tell EVERYTHING!

I know. I honestly was tricked into thinking the asthma thing, but I was always nervous about the police thing. I want to clear up with you guys that I do take full responsibility to what I did. I just wanted people to also realize that you may have to be honest about things that recruiters won't want you to be honest about.

Sucks, I for one have a history of Asthma and my brother got passed thorugh MEPS without it ever coming up. I've told my recruiters that I have asthma and they know but I'm just like you, never used an inhaler in about 14 years. Never needed it and I don't weeze unless I have a real bad allergey attack. Get a waiver and come back in, or the Army won't be as bad.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Some of you poolees ahve read my posts more than once where I said "Tell the Recruiters everything" yet some of you still try the sneaky wany to try to get around it! Ashma is not something to play with! Iw ill show up in some of you and not others, but some manage to get thru Boot without a episode of ashma!

BE HONEST WITH THE RECRUITER AND ABOVE ALL ELSE NE HONEST WITH MEPS, AND THEN OYU WTILL HAVE THE MOMENT OF TRUTH AT MCRD WHERE YOU CAN TELL THE TRUTH THERE, before they spend mega bucks on your training to loose you because of a pre existing condition!

If I were you, i'd be looking real hard at an Option 40 contract with the Army. Go for it man, you've got nothing to lose.

the Army will let you in

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Dont end up like me. I had an asthma attack at MCRD SD, and got a fraud enlistment uncharacterized discharge. I now have that on my record and it wont go away. Its not going to hurt me getting a job, because they wont know why i got discharged. Just states i was in the military for 28 days.

PEOPLE IF YOU HAVE ASTHMA, GO GET TESTED BEFORE YOU SHIP. I didnt have asthma for 10 years, and i get there and i had an asthma attack on the IST. It's still possible to have an asthma attack.

there is a "test" for asthma? i didnt know that.

i used to use an inhaler when i was in 6,7th grade for soccer but i was never diagnosed with asthma ( told the recruiter this dont worry) but since i dont need one now he said its fine.maybe ill get tested just to be safe...

My brother went and got tested for Asthma and the doctor diagnosed him with ERD (Early Respitroy Disease) which means that we were exposed to smoking at a very young age (Around 5 or 6). Now I had three asthma attacks in 1 week while I was 10. I didn't realize at the time what it was but I sucked it up and carried on. Never had one since, I do take Advair that will stop you from weezing for 3 months at a time. My brother took it while he did BCT during the winter. He said it worked like a charm and if he has an asthma attack, he won't get discharged and the Army will pay for his treatment. Like Cpl. Davblay said, tell your recruiters everything.

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Yes there is a test.. They test your lungs, you breath into a machine. From what i was told its kinda expensive. But they induce an asthma attack. But slowly. IF you have asthma you will have an attack, if you dont you wont.

Man all this stuff worries me, first, if you do get an asthma test and you fail can you still get a waiver for it? For me its like everyone else here, I havent had an attack in a REALLY long time, but at times I can feel something in my chest you know? Not that it ever really slows me down or anything...But I asked my recruiter bout it yesterday and he said that it was fine, as a matter a fact he went on to state that hes had 3 or 4 poolees that have gone through boot with asthma and even farther to say that one of them was on an inhaler up to the last day and he got through boot just fine, I dont know if its just me but does anybody else think that that sounds like some recruiter b.s.? I would be very upset if I couldnt make it into the USMC because of that.

Quote Originally Posted by davblay
    Some of you poolees ahve read my posts more than once where I said "Tell the Recruiters everything" yet some of you still try the sneaky wany to try to get around it! Ashma is not something to play with! Iw ill show up in some of you and not others, but some manage to get thru Boot without a episode of ashma!

BE HONEST WITH THE RECRUITER AND ABOVE ALL ELSE NE HONEST WITH MEPS, AND THEN OYU WTILL HAVE THE MOMENT OF TRUTH AT MCRD WHERE YOU CAN TELL THE TRUTH THERE, before they spend mega bucks on your training to loose you because of a pre existing condition!
    LET ME JUST SOLVE ALL THESE QUESTIONS AND POST THIS AGAIN!!! FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO HAVEN'T READ THIS THE FIRST, SECOND, OR THE HUNDRED TIMES BEFORE THIS IS THE ONLY ANSWER YOU NEED. YOU HAVE NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT IF YOU TELL THE TRUTH!

some of you are worrying a little too much....some of you might have something they call "sports asthma" which is,you have trouble breathing after strenous activity...which is what they think i had when i was younger.6 out of 10 cases of this simply need to EXCERISE MORE! you build up your lung capacity and your stamina so you dont use an inhaler.

hell when i first started working out i couldn't run a half a mile before i was wheezing and coughing,a mile? forget about it.But i slowly built up my lungs by running at a slower pace coupled with increasing the distance every 3rd day or so,now i can do almost 2 miles with only the slightest of wheezing at the end.

No I highly disagree that they are "worrying too much." Ask Motorola07 if he wishes he would have worried a little more about it. Or everyone else who has gotten booted for not getting it checked on. They key point here is that people are getting their dreams of being a Marine crushed because they lied about having not having asthma even though it was as a kid. If you don't want to fall in that trap, don't lie, get the tests!

Thread Information