Funeral protester charged as son steps on flag
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exclamation Funeral protester charged as son steps on flag

Funeral protester charged as son steps on flag
    By Oskar Garcia - The Associated Press
    Posted : Friday Jul 6, 2007 8:09:11 EDT

OMAHA, Neb. — A Kansas woman whose church protests at military funerals across the nation was charged Thursday with four misdemeanors after her son stomped on a U.S. flag during a demonstration in Bellevue.

Shirley Phelps-Roper, 49, of Topeka, Kan., was charged with negligent child abuse, contributing to the delinquency of a minor, flag mutilation and disturbing the peace.

“I have not failed to do my duty to my children, to my God or to my fellow countrymen, and I take my job dead serious,” Phelps-Roper said Thursday, vowing to aggressively fight the charges.

The charges were filed Thursday in Sarpy County Court by County Attorney Lee Polikov. A message left Thursday afternoon for Polikov was not immediately returned.

Phelps-Roper said Polikov “has pointed the big guns of government at my liberty and at my children.”

The American Civil Liberties Union will likely represent Phelps-Roper, and was waiting for official approval from its board, said Laurel Marsh, executive director of ACLU Nebraska.

Phelps-Roper acknowledged that she allowed her 10-year-old son, Jonah, to stand on the flag. She said the act qualifies as freedom of expression, and she promises to challenge the constitutionality of the flag-mutilation charge. She noted that the U.S. Supreme Court has struck down laws forbidding flag desecration.

According to Nebraska’s flag law, “a person commits the offense of mutilating a flag if such person intentionally casts contempt or ridicule upon a flag by mutilating, defacing, defiling, burning, or trampling upon such flag.”

Phelps-Roper is a member of the Westboro Baptist Church in Topeka and the daughter of the church’s founder, the Rev. Fred Phelps.

Phelps-Roper said church members have protested at hundreds of military funerals across the country for 17 years. Westboro’s message during funeral protests is that the soldier deaths are God’s punishment for the nation accepting homosexuals.

The Bellevue funeral was for Nebraska Army National Guard Spc. William “Bill” Bailey, who was killed May 25 when an explosive device struck his vehicle in Iraq.

Ellie

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    ph**k Phelps!

...Phelps-Roper is a member of the Westboro Baptist Church in Topeka and the daughter of the church’s founder, the Rev. Fred Phelps.

Phelps-Roper said church members have protested at hundreds of military funerals across the country for 17 years. Westboro’s message during funeral protests is that the soldier deaths are God’s punishment for the nation accepting homosexuals...
    Here is the Westboro Baptist Church's website. They need to learn something about the REAL JESUS CHRIST who taught about LOVE and NOT HATE!!!!

Don't bother charging these scumbags with things they can easily get out of. Just kill them. God help them if they are ever at the same funeral as me.

They're a disgrace to the State of Kansas and our country. I've been to a couple of PGR events where these morons have shown up and have even come face-to-face with this contemptable Bi*ch at, of all places, a Ron White performance at the Topeka Performing Arts Center; they were demonstrating on the front lawn. Their kids were running around with flags wrapped around them and she was holding a pole with the flag upside down. I swear I didn't see her when I bumped into her and stepped on her foot. (It was wearing sandals)

I can't wait to see what happens when these . . . whatever they are get to their judgement day when God sets them straight for putting their words in his mouth and assuming what He thinks.

Where's a runaway bus when you need one?

There's a bluecoat filter system on the network where I work. When I clicked on the link for the Westboro Baptist Church this is what came up on my screen...

RESTRICTED WEBSITE NOTICE

CATEGORY: (VIOLENCE/HATE/RACISM)

Says it all !

Quote Originally Posted by thedrifter

Phelps-Roper said church members have protested at hundreds of military funerals across the country for 17 years. Westboro’s message during funeral protests is that the soldier deaths are God’s punishment for the nation accepting homosexuals.

Ellie
    if this is true it makes me wonder how many cocks jesus took up the ass to be crucified..

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by killerinstinct
    if this is true it makes me wonder how many cocks jesus took up the ass to be crucified..

You gonna wake up in the morning completely ringed in by baptists! You Texans think Comanches were bad, just you wait!

They'll "heal" ya to death!

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    1 Carefully Aimed Round........3.5 cents
    1 Dry Cleaning American Flag.....Free
    1 Dumb B***H locked up for above charges.... Bail Set

1 Satisfied Marine...PRICELESS!!!!!

Sounds to me like Shirley needs a cick right in the kunt!
    drumcorpssnare

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    wow she sounds like a B***H!!!! since i'm aa kid, there are parental controls for me, and all the sites for that church posted ARE BLOCKED!!!! hmmm I wonder why??

She might find out appearing in the Sarpy County Courthouse on the wrong side of the law isn't exactly a stroll in the park.

Appearing in Sarpy County court for a speeding ticket was bad enough. The courthouse is a new, elaborate brick building--and they have to pay for it somehow.

crate

Unfortunately for those of us in Kansas, Nebraska probably won't keep her but I sincerely hope they'll squeeze the sh** out of her.

Quote Originally Posted by JinxJr
    Unfortunately for those of us in Kansas, Nebraska probably won't keep her but I sincerely hope they'll squeeze the sh** out of her.

You can't squeeze the s**t out of a TURD!

Thread Information