I need some help with choosing my MOS
Create Post
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Credits
    Savings
    Images

Arrow I need some help with choosing my MOS

Hello, I am currently in DEP and I am waiting until August 1st when the job slots open. I've done some research on the jobs that I am interested in, but I needed some more information and advice from you all.

Just to let you know what I am mainly interested in, I am currently looking into job fields related to: Computer/Data Programming, Electronics, and Aerospace Engineering. It would be great to get some advice or stories from Marines who are working in those MOS fields.

I've read the descriptions and requirements of the jobs of my interest, but there seems to be no hope for me to go into fields: 5900, 4000, and 2800, since many jobs in those fields require that I have to be U.S. Citizen to have those jobs. (I will be able to apply for U.S. Citizenship after 20080604--The day I will have lived in US for 5 years--but I am sure that I won't be getting it by the time I ship out which is only about 20 days after that date, or even by the time I go to job school - If I make it through recruit training and then finish MCT, that is.)

Now then it narrows down to Aviation field and Air Traffic Control field.
    If my final choice be aviation field, I would like to work somewhere I can learn the structure and engine of jet/plane in detail. With that in mind, I saw that there was an aircraft maintenence field and avionics field. I saw the description and requirements for each job, but I am still confused about what the difference is between those two fields. Is maintenence for body of the aircraft and avionics for electronics? Which field would fit my interest better as for learning the structure and engine of an aircraft?
    Also in that field, I saw that each job is assigned to a specific aircraft. Does it matter which one I would work with? If it does, which one would be best for me, to maybe work in NASA afterwards handeling rockets and space shuttles?
    But if my choice be Air Traffic Controller, I don't exactly know what I will be doing for the course of four years. Does anyone work in this field and would like to give me some information?
    Lastly, If there is any possibility I can change my MOS after 2 years, (this I heard from somewhere..) what would be the case and the procedure? If this is possible I'd like to transfer to one of those jobs after I get my citizenship.

I am sorry for writing this long for just few questions, I am really not sure about what I would do for 4 years and I thought it'd be better to give more information to help you help me choose what would be the best for me and also get some great detailed advice.

Your advice, story of your experience, suggestion, or anything would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Hi Jung,

To answer the aviation portion of your question I will give you my former MOS. 6017 (F/A-18 Mechanic/Plane Captain) You would work in the "Power Line" division of a squadron. There you would repair/service/inspect the engines, secondary power systems, and fuel systems. Each of those are related to other systems (and MOS's) such as electrical, hydraulics, and airframes. Additionally you would become a Plane Captain, which involves inspecting the aircraft, setting the aircraft up for launch, assisting the Pilots with the preflight and performing the post flight inspection. Very rewarding and demanding job, and you would be working very closely to the other fields within the squadron. I'm pretty sure the other aircraft fields are pretty much the same. Hope this helps
    Semper Fi

Lonnie, lets not forget being able to spend some quality time on a cruise ship such as the USS Neverdock, lol.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Thank you! So basically that sounds like I'll be working with not just one but several aspects overall, that'd be nice. Did it change to something else? I can't find it in the Job list although i'm not sure if this is a complete list. (http://usmilitary.about.com/od/enlis...marinejobs.htm)

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jetdoc
    Lonnie, lets not forget being able to spend some quality time on a cruise ship such as the USS Neverdock, lol.
    LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by jungholee90
    Thank you! So basically that sounds like I'll be working with not just one but several aspects overall, that'd be nice. Did it change to something else? I can't find it in the Job list although i'm not sure if this is a complete list. (http://usmilitary.about.com/od/enlis...arinejobs.htm)
    Jung, GunnyMax retired around 01, so the MOS number may have changed. Not sure if you clicked the 60/61/62 link but its for Aircraft Maintenanceand it shows all of the MOS's for each field, and it looks as if the Gunny's prior number 6017, may now be a 6217, Fixed-Wing Aircraft Mechanic, F/A-18, and a Plane Capt.

http://usmilitary.about.com/library/...obs/bl6217.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Marine84
    LOL!
    Gotta let them know about shipboard duty, you know what I mean Kim? Its soooo fun. Before I was ever on the Midway or Niagra Falls I used to just take it for granted that the Navy had it so easy, then I went on the USS Midway...dang. I was on it for only about half of a cruise as I was "beach det" in the Philippines, (thats another story, lol). I then realized that these Navy folks are on this freaken ship cruise after cruise, year after year...I gained some respect for the Navy after that.

Kim, I see you were in Iwakuni and El Toro, (among other stations)....me too. What did you think of Iwakuni? Did you go to a great BLT mom and pops place called, Sakos? Found this on the web:

"Sako: This place is located out the main gate, at the first intersection, known as 4 Corners. It is well-known for it's BLT sandwiches... billed as the world's best! They have other stuff, too, but you have to try the BLT's while you're here. And check out the useless napkins." http://www.geocities.com/tokyo/towers/2060/eatout.html

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Kim, I see you were in Iwakuni and El Toro, (among other stations)....me too. What did you think of Iwakuni? Did you go to a great BLT mom and pops place called, Sakos?
    OMG!!!! Are those things AWESOME or WHAT???? My mouth is watering for one NOW! Sakos and The Poem (you could get a big a$$ plate of steamed clams for like 500 yen). I had a BLAST in Iwakuni! Bought a little Toyota Corolla for $100 and drove the hell out of it! I left it outside the back gate at the sea wall when I left - when I checked out, the MPs asked me about it and what was I planning on doing with it - I told him he could go get and keep it if he wanted to cause I was going back to the US. I think the battery died in it or something and I just left it where it sat.

AHHHH....Memories of the Stinkin Lincoln, wind through my hair, watching the sunset while drinking a mai tai, kicking back in a lounge chair, Air Boss wispering in my ear .......... OOPS, Sorry, I was in my happy place, but I'm back now.

Quote Originally Posted by Marine84
    OMG!!!! Are those things AWESOME or WHAT???? My mouth is watering for one NOW! Sakos and The Poem (you could get a big a$$ plate of steamed clams for like 500 yen). I had a BLAST in Iwakuni! Bought a little Toyota Corolla for $100 and drove the hell out of it! I left it outside the back gate at the sea wall when I left - when I checked out, the MPs asked me about it and what was I planning on doing with it - I told him he could go get and keep it if he wanted to cause I was going back to the US. I think the battery died in it or something and I just left it where it sat.
    Too funny. I can picture you driving that car around Japan, was it a trip or what?

We were not perm there per se but kept a perm. detachment there and just rotated every 6 months or so. Iwakuni was our home base while overseas and we deployed from there. What I was trying to point out is none of us were there long enough to warrant a car, but we did ride those bicycles....remember the name, binjo bombers (slang for the japanese sewage system). I can assure you that more than one of us on any given night would prove the name "binjo" fit...lol.

Also the crime was so low in Japan, at least while I was there. I rode the Bullet train on a few occasions and didn't have a lock for the bike, so I had to just leave it outside the train station. It was ALWAYS there when I got back.

Quote Originally Posted by GUNNY MAX
    AHHHH....Memories of the Stinkin Lincoln, wind through my hair, watching the sunset while drinking a mai tai, kicking back in a lounge chair, Air Boss wispering in my ear .......... OOPS, Sorry, I was in my happy place, but I'm back now.
    Hey Lonnie, I was surprised to see the USS Lincoln was put in around 84? I thought it was newer than that.

I tell you the Midway was an old bucket, and they put us Jarheads in this open squadbay thing, under the cats. The racks were like what you see in WWII movies, no storage area or anything. Jet fuel in the drinking water, etc.

No, the Lincoln is much newer than that. I think around 91 or 92. I was on it in 93. It was a pretty nice "boat" (note to Poolees, Sailors hate their ships being called boats) I guess compared to the Kitty Hawk, which is the only old carrier I've been on, it was nice. You don't get so much deisel in the drinking water, but you might glow from the reactors (lol). I mostly worked with the flight deck crew and our fellow squadron's Flight Deck Coordinators (FDC) and you're right. They have one tough job to do.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Jung, GunnyMax retired around 01, so the MOS number may have changed. Not sure if you clicked the 60/61/62 link but its for Aircraft Maintenanceand it shows all of the MOS's for each field, and it looks as if the Gunny's prior number 6017, may now be a 6217, Fixed-Wing Aircraft Mechanic, F/A-18, and a Plane Capt.

http://usmilitary.about.com/library/...obs/bl6217.htm
    Oh i see, thank you. So If I go to the school for this, how long would it be?

I'm not sure how long that particular class is Jung, a recruiter may help out a bit on that one..I know I was an AMS, (aircraft structures mech). Back then you didn't have a fixed or rotor designation. My school was general pretty much, I then was sent to MCAS New River, HMM-264, to train on helocopters. Of course after that training I was sent to MCAS EL Toro to work on RF-4B fixed wing aircraft. Being versitile is important to the Marines.

My school was from Sept till Dec and it was in Millington Tn..a real crap hole. I think it was about that long, have to doubel check however.

They now go to Pensacola Fla, which of course isn't a crap hole, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by GUNNY MAX
    No, the Lincoln is much newer than that. I think around 91 or 92. I was on it in 93. It was a pretty nice "boat" (note to Poolees, Sailors hate their ships being called boats) I guess compared to the Kitty Hawk, which is the only old carrier I've been on, it was nice. You don't get so much deisel in the drinking water, but you might glow from the reactors (lol). I mostly worked with the flight deck crew and our fellow squadron's Flight Deck Coordinators (FDC) and you're right. They have one tough job to do.

We always called it a "boat", probably to pi$$ them off? Thats all I ever heard the ships being called by Marines in our unit. BTW Gunny, I found the following on Wikipedia. I have to split for a nice mexican dinner, umm, not sure how long between being commissioned and the first cruise?

Oh yea, the glow from the drinking water on a "nuke"...I thought it was just your normal cheery "glow" Gunny, lol.

Wikipedia: "Abe's contract was awarded to Newport News Shipbuilding on 27 December 1982; her keel was laid down 3 November 1984 at Newport News, Virginia. The ship was launched on 13 February 1988 and commissioned on 11 November 1989. Its cost is $4.5 billion dollars in 2007 dollars".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Abr...incoln_(CVN-72)

Thread Information