Women Warriors: 'These Girls are 100 Percent Marine' - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Talking They never know!

It was great seeing the look on peoples faces when I told them I was in the Marines. I had been a model before I joined the Corps so I looked nothing like what they pictured as a Marine. It was even better when the male Marines found out that not only was I a Marine, but I shot a better score at the rifle range than them! I loved it! I can rub it in my husbands face still today!! LOL He was also in the Corps so when our little boys grow up I can tell them too!! LOL

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    I shot a better score at the rifle range than them! I loved it! I can rub it in my husbands face still today!!
    That's funny as hell!

Quote Originally Posted by Pialphamu
    It was great seeing the look on peoples faces when I told them I was in the Marines. I had been a model before I joined the Corps so I looked nothing like what they pictured as a Marine. It was even better when the male Marines found out that not only was I a Marine, but I shot a better score at the rifle range than them! I loved it! I can rub it in my husbands face still today!! LOL He was also in the Corps so when our little boys grow up I can tell them too!! LOL
    I am a Women Marine Veteran and I know what your talking about. All is shocked when I tell people that I am a former Marine. I now am a single mother of four because I married the wrong Marine, but heah life happens.

beakerless
    Guest Free Member
    It was even better when the male Marines found out that not only was I a Marine, but I shot a better score at the rifle range than them!
    I begged the Lt.Col. I worked for to let me go the the range for six months in 1978. Back in those days we didn't qualify at all. He resisted letting me go until one day I walked into his office and took him up on his "my door is always open" policy. I said, "Sir can you please call my dad and my uncle and explain to them why I am not qualified with the M16." I can still see the confused look on his face as he asked me to explain. When I told him my father was a gunsmith and that I got my first 22 at age 9 and spent two years in NRA sanctioned competitions before I got a 12 guage and learned to shoot trap and that my uncle was a retired USMCR Colonel who thought it was about time women in the Corps became riflemen, he picked up the phone and called the training Gunny. I was one of three WMs at the range two weeks later. Sad to say my M16 took a dump on me on pre-qual day and I missed expert by 6 points. My dad really rubbed that in since my brother got the highest score in his platoon during Army basic.

Some of us fought litle battles trying to change things for women but we still fought. I am so proud of today's female Marines that I could just bust.

By the way hi Mary Ann and Arlene. Angel let me know when you get to Milwaukee. I am nearby and can't wait to meet Arlene too. I don't usually drive too far because I never know when I am going to have a migraine but maybe I can get up there to meet both of you.

I've Always Been Proud To Have Earned The Title Of United States Marine.and I've Been So Very Proud Of Our Sisters In Marine Green. We Are Bound Together By History,forged In The Fire Of Battle,and Quenched In Blood.God Bless Our Corps And All That Have Served It With Honor.. SEMPER FI

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    You all who have made a difference for us now are the BEST!!! Without you there would be no me. And beakerless, thank you for helping in getting us be marksman, Every Marine is a Marksman, right?? I love my rifle and I love to shoot!!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Semper Fi Devil Dogs! So glad to have found you!

How sweet the memories. The old days back when WM's were just getting into schools. I was the eighth woman to be in Microwave Radio class (2532). #7 was from my squadron and we went to school together.

Jaxson

That was a great article. Thank you to the WM's of the past for paving the way for me. It's nice to see us getting the recognition that we so rightly deserve. We do have some great stories! Semper Fidelis Marines.

AHHHHHHn I love women all of them.......

I am only being curious about this but I have seen numerous referrals about Women Marines not having a nickname.
    My question is this why not???
    Also this is probably ilrevelant but this is addressed to WM's only (know the mens view): what effect did the actress that played the LtCol have on helping real WM's
    role in the real Marine Corps? This is not a trick question as I have heard many women remark that until they had watched the tv show JAG that they didn't realize that WM's were treated the same as the men Marines.
    I only ask these questions because for the almost ten years I spent on active duty I very seldom saw a WM (probably my loss)
    Again this is not in any way to be construed as any sort of put down or to be derogatory to any WM I just am being nosy I guess.

well I never watched JAG. As far as us being caled by nicknames I have never minded being called a Jarhead. Now as far as some of the names some deided to hang on us that were less than pleasant why should be put up with them. I was one of the first electricians in the Corps in 1975. I am, as far as I have been able to find out, the only woman to hold the MOS 1143. I was a high voltage electrician/ It was a long road but I was determined not let them prove that a woman could not handle what they had termed a "male" MOS. Now I am a jouneyman pipefitter.
    So why should we put up with derogatory nicknames, and yes nearly 100% of those so called designed for us are not nice in nature. We work hard to uphold the traditions of our Corps, we live by the values and we are Marines.

Exclamation Nick names

I am a Marine. I do not need a nickname to set me apart from my brothers, we are all family, and we all got the title through hard work and determination. Cloud, you served a lot earlier than I did, so maybe that is why you never saw a WM. I was in a male dominated mos, in a male dominated camp and I saw plenty of women. Maybe your eyes were not truly open. That being said if you call me a Jarhead, a Leatherneck, a Lady Leatherneck, etc, we have no problem but if you call me a BAM or any other derogatory name you will see me in your face, and fast. I would not let some civilian call me a name and I would not let a Marine either. After all some of the finest traditions of the Marine Corps include getting drunk and beating the hell out of someone! LOL

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    The nicknames never bothered me - even BAM - my a$$ IS broad so it fits.

Smile "old days in the Marine Corps"

It is always so interesting to read about some of the outstanding jobs being performed today by Woman Marines, as well as learning about the "new" boot camp training. When I was at Parris Island in July 1952 there was nothing like what the new recruits are doing. We didn't have any long and exhausting "runs", no training on the rifle range, no marching with full packs and no "Crucible" or anything even resembling any part of today's training. We learned about "Customs & Courtesies", UCMJ, Marine Corps history and spent lots of time marching down the streets in front of our barracks...no grinder. We "majored" in field days...had the cleanest barracks. Spent time "spit shining" our "Boondockers", marking our uniform clothing and personal gear and some free time to write letters home. Our Drill Instructors were mainly female with one male Drill Instructor who did the majority of drill and teaching us about the early Marine Corps. The language was not "fierce & foul" and in fact, it was thouroughly discouraged. We were told that we represented the Marine Corps and we were expected to conduct ourselves as ladies, at all times. Sexual "hijinks" were firmly dealt with..."Remember, if you mess up, they won't say 'That Woman Marine' but they will say 'those Woman Marines'.... We were taught how to apply makeup, do our hair in a military manner and how to sit and stand "like ladies". We sure were a bunch of cream puffs!

Thumbs up cream puffs

If it weren't for you "cream puffs" we would not be the Marines we are today. Thank you for blazing the path... like a "lady." LOL

Thread Information