The meaning of 'Semper Fidelis' - Page 10
Create Post
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910
    Master/Sgt Mark
    Greetings & Thank You for posting that.....I knew most but still learned a little as is a part of life. Thank you for your service as well as your brothers,father & family. 1% of our Nation serves today to protect her freedoms. Your family goes over and above and you have our Thanks & respect for that. I read your info and see you were from Wisconsin. I went through your home town several times growing up. I have been all over Wisconsin in my youth camping, waterskiing & fishing on Lake Winnabago, Wolf River,Green Bay etc., We still to this day go to McNaughton, Wisconsin yearly to camp out for a week with friends & family. My 2 Uncles came from Wisconsin. One lived in Kimberly (Top Sgt US Army WWII) & another in Appleton (Pfc USMC WWII Okinawa Vet etc.,) so I spent summers in the Northwoods camping & hearing about Duty, Faithfulness, Honor, Code. My dad had polio as a kid so he was deemed 4F when WWII came around but still tried to join up but no go. So it must have leaked into us as my Dad surrounded his two sons with men who modeled the good thing about this country. We ended ip both being Eagle Scouts and my dad took his turn as Scout Master. Then onto High school to Collegiate sports and both sons into the Corps.
    My older brother Mike served active duty FMF WestPac -then Paris Is. USMCRD- Series CO- 1stLt USMC "75-79" then out & into the reserves finishing as a Capt USMCR. I enlisted in "76-79" did a year in FMF WesPac Okinawa then finished my time at MCB Pendleton in a Grunt Plt. Out in June "79" as Sgt USMC.

It was & is still what I think of everyday opening my eyes & at light out. My wife of 31+ years know who Chesty Puller is and all the words to the Marine Corps Hymn. My friends all know I was & still am a Marine. My cousins son joined the Corps a few years back & he did a tour in Afganastan then Okie & now out. My chest was popping several buttons when we saw him after Graduation PI. Yeah Semper Fi kinda grows on ya and gets into your pores really deep. So just thought I would take a minute to drop in & saw Hi, Thanks & God Bless You & Yours. We pray for all the Men & Women in the Service of our Country....but I have to admit that when we get to tne part of our prayer for Marines I stand a little taller & straighter as I say the word MARINES!

"Semper Fi"
    David SGTDDS
    "76-79" USMC

Semper Fi
    I was asked once what do we Marines mean when we say Semper Fi. I had to explain to this civilan that Semper
    fi is short for Semper Fidelis which means always faithful. and that means always faithful to God, Our Country, our Corps and our Fqamilies and friends. Semper fi to me is not just a Motto it's a way of life. And it's been that way since I earned the title on May 15th 1965 Plt. 1134 Pariss Isalnd S.C
    Semper fi

My son joined the Army some 15 years ago. He has 3 tours of Iraq duty behind him. He is E7 - Sgt 1st Class (same as GySgt). He was blown up in a convoy going to Baghdad airport. The convoy (Army) left him behind. The next day, a Marine patrol came upon him and his trashed vehicle. The Marines picked him up, and said "Soldier, you are going home with US"! My son was taken to Ramstein Germany and then Ft. Hood to recoup. In the Marines, EVERYONE goes home. Dead or alive, EVERYONE goes home. That's SEMPER FI !

Quote Originally Posted by Beck View Post
    My son joined the Army some 15 years ago. He has 3 tours of Iraq duty behind him. He is E7 - Sgt 1st Class (same as GySgt). He was blown up in a convoy going to Baghdad airport. The convoy (Army) left him behind. The next day, a Marine patrol came upon him and his trashed vehicle. The Marines picked him up, and said "Soldier, you are going home with US"! My son was taken to Ramstein Germany and then Ft. Hood to recoup. In the Marines, EVERYONE goes home. Dead or alive, EVERYONE goes home. That's SEMPER FI !
    Thats the true meaning of honour! The anceint warriors always brought the fallen home. Marines are a modern version of the old world warrior. To leave a man behind, suffering or dead on enemy territory is disrepectful. The commanding officer of that convoy should be ashamed.

Hi Beck. Thanks for the post, and welcome.

Thread Information