How can recruits earn PFC during Boot Camp - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    tennyson why would that be?

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    I got my 2 referrals and got the promotion to PFC.

Quote Originally Posted by Marine84
    I hope THIS is an attempt at a joke because if you REALLY can't swim......................
    I can't swim..but I was told the Corps will teach us how to swim anyway?
    I figured that's better than nothing...all I can do right now is float.

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    You should probably start learning. I don't think you'll want to go in with zero knowledge, especially with the Drill Instructors prowling around...

I would have said "Best Get Learnin'" but I see you leave in 3 days...However I don't know what the expectations are, but as a person who has taught swimming for 3 summer before this, I doubt they have the effective amount of time if they were to have to train an entire platoon.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultimawpnx
    I can't swim..but I was told the Corps will teach us how to swim anyway?
    They did for my dad. He said he couldn't swim a foot, but when he got to Boot Camp they pushed him in and made him swim. It's what he told me so it may not be the whole truth, and this was back in mid 80's, so things could have changed. But not knowing how to swim could be a problem.

They did my uncle the same way two months ago. He nearly died during OCS.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Huh. Didn't think they did that anymore. I thought with all the new regulations and BS that it would change. When my dad was in, they technically couldn't hit you, but they could "re-adjust their position".

From what I heard, he was in full gear and was pushed because he waited too long or something.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    That's the same thing my dad told me. He said they were in full gear and they were told to jump off a diving tower or something and he didn't because he couldn't swim. One of his Drill Instructors came over, told him to get his skinny little f**king @$$ in the water and then pushed him in. My dad can swim like a fish now.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    True story with no embellishment.
    I hit the fleet as a pvt. We spent almost a month in the field and then went straight to the rifle range. Admin couldn't keep up with us so I got promoted about 2 months after it was due. My staff sergeant said I was going up for meritorious Lance the next day in Charlies. Because there was no way in hell I was gonna be able to show up to a board wearing PFC chevrons the gunny's wife brought her sewing machine to work and while I stood in line for the board she sewed chevrons on my charlie shirt. I made it to the board in uniform and took it. When I walked out she had sewn Lcpl chevrons on a second shirt. I actually wore PFC for about 1 hour.

Thread Information