Any D.I.s out there?
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Post Any D.I.s out there?

I am shipping in less than a month, and I was wondering if you had any advice for me when I get to boot camp? Or if I will see any of you out there. Also is it an insult to be called a 'Hollywood' marine? or is it just another name given to distinguish where you became a man at? sorry Marine at...

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Hollywood Marines are the ones who went to MCRDSD.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    I got that much, but is it considered a deragatory name? or just a 'pet' name?

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I'd go with nickname or pet name.

It is just some inter-service rivalry crap. It doesn't really matter where you go to boot camp, but east coast and west coast Marines like to poke fun at each other. You have a lot of other things to worry about, being Hollywood should be the least of your concerns. And, if you ever have problems, remember that all WM's are trained at PI, that alone gives you more than enough ammo to fight back with.

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four_Bravo
    It is just some inter-service rivalry crap. It doesn't really matter where you go to boot camp, but east coast and west coast Marines like to poke fun at each other. You have a lot of other things to worry about, being Hollywood should be the least of your concerns. And, if you ever have problems, remember that all WM's are trained at PI, that alone gives you more than enough ammo to fight back with.
    I never been there so I have no rite to say this but....Parris Island has sand fleas....San Diego doesn't lol......

EDIT: Sorry, I just woke up and I'm a little groggy so I misread something.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Hollywood Marine is a term that pre-dates WWII. MCRD San Diego provided locations for shooting several Naval and/or Marine Corps-themed movies, and often recruits, DIs, or other locally stationed Marines were used as extras. Parris Island didn't have the "luxury" of having major movie studios reasonably close by and traveling across country wasn't as easy then as now.

So, anyone stationed on the West Coast, and particularly at MCRD San Diego, were called Hollywood Marines by those station on the East Coast or trained at PI.

"Hollywood Marine" then, is an insult among Marines, but a mild one.

Quote Originally Posted by rickfjr74
    I never been there so I have no rite to say this but....Parris Island has sand fleas....San Diego doesn't lol......

On Parris Island it's the sand fleas.

In San Diego it's the hills.

Quote Originally Posted by rickfjr74
    You are correct, you don't have the RIGHT to say it. Climb a mountain with a pack on your back then come talk to me ma'am.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurby494

Actually, MCRD San Diego is basically flat as a billiard table (or like PI). It is doing your combat training, Crucible, and SOI at Camp Pendleton that gets hilly.

The main torture at SD is the airport right next door. Not only do you have to watch people going when and where they will, you also have a certain amount of jet noise to contend with when Drill Instructors are giving commands. The fact you can't hear them is your problem.

I understand that with new jet engines and noise reduction take-offs, SD isn't as loud now as it was in 1971. But still loud enough to be annoying.

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    You are correct, you don't have the RIGHT to say it. Climb a mountain with a pack on your back then come talk to me ma'am.
    sorry sir it was just a joke.....I didn't mean it it was just that I heard it before and it was just to lightin up the mode....not to be a smart a$$ but I can't go to run the hills because I live on the east coast......once again sry....shouldn't of said it....

Quote Originally Posted by Kurby494

Only someone who hasn't humped them with a pack, on the little end, in August would call them "hills".

Them be some mo fo mountains.

And, if you ever have problems, remember that all WM's are trained at PI, that alone gives you more than enough ammo to fight back with.
    What about Marine 84??

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Ill be at MCRDSD 20070716

Thread Information