Military recruiters shouldn't have so much access to kids
Create Post
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

I had a request by snowpaint078 to place this article for you poolee's to to state your opinions on this subject...

I'm giving You a chance to responsible...So don't disappoint me...

Ellie

Star-Gazette - Jun 09

With the ever-increasing war dead and wounded in Iraq, I was glad to hear that local peace activists wish to talk about military recruiters in our schools. While I realize that the military offers opportunities for students who may not be otherwise college-bound, it is my personal opinion that there needs to be more balance and integrity to the process by which recruiters gain access to and influence over our children.

It has been my personal experience that against my often expressed and written objections, the school provided a sheltered environment for the recruiter to plan my son's future with him, without my involvement or oversight. Requests in writing that my child's information not be shared with the military did not deter them. Even though I expressed to our principal, school counselor and the recruiter that a career in the Marines was not an acceptable plan, my son was given the ASFAB and still met regularly with the recruiter at school.

Military recruiters are visibly present in schools more prominently than any job or college recruiters. While students are sold on the many different and educational opportunities available through the military, they are not completely made aware of the realities of their eight-year obligation. Some students have told me they likely won't be deployed or likely won't have to fight because of their chosen job path.

Young people who are in the unfortunate position of needing to support themselves independently upon high school graduation have told me that the military is their only viable option.

PAT BREUX

Elmira

Quote Originally Posted by thedrifter
    It has been my personal experience that against my often expressed and written objections, the school provided a sheltered environment for the recruiter to plan my son's future with him, without my involvement or oversight. Requests in writing that my child's information not be shared with the military did not deter them. Even though I expressed to our principal, school counselor and the recruiter that a career in the Marines was not an acceptable plan, my son was given the ASFAB and still met regularly with the recruiter at school.
    This is the only paragraph that I feel like commenting on. The author of this editorial seems to have a problem with letting go. Her son is no longer a child that needs to consult her or have her permission to do as he pleases. It doesn't matter if she believes that a career in the Marines is unacceptable- my dad felt the same way. He was wrong. I needed the Marines, and her son knows if he needs what I needed.

It is time to let go and let her "child" become a man. She exemplifies everything that is wrong with our nation- scared to let men be men.

Of equal importance is the fact that, whether she objects or not, schools that receive federal funds cannot prohibit recruiters from visiting the school.

Well EB4 said what I had in mind sooo...................

People like that are the reason why recruiters only come to my school once in a blue moon. I was sitting in my guidance counselor's office (nice quiet place to eat lunch) and the first thing I heard one of the counselor say was "Damn it, I don't want to invite the Marines over."

Oh well... College sells more here than the Military.

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    A lot of kids I've talked to who have enlisted plan to go to college. And the Marine Corps recruiters I talked to don't like people thinking the Marines is a last resort. Or even an alternative to college. Kids who could go to college join the Marines (and other branches of the military) because they want to serve their country and develop the confidence that comes with serving in the military. These kids have their heads on straight and maybe even more so than a lot of kids who go to college because their parents want them to, only to drift along with no direction.
    This parent clearly needs to be educated about what the military and the Marine Corps in particular are all about. I see a closed minded person here.

There's a tag line from a newer Marine Corps commercial that sums up the kind of young people they want:
    "We don't accept applications. Only committments."

That woman is a god damn idiot and needs to take a step back from trying to control her son's life. I think there's a reason why her son is meeting with his recruiter regularly, BECAUSE HE WANTS TO! Even if the recruiter didn't come to his school I'm sure her son would find a way to get in contect with him if he wanted to, which it appears he does. After I took the ASVAB my senior year I had a Navy recruiter calling my house regularly for months and I told him time after time I wasn't interested, and that's all it takes. It's not like recruiter's have absolute control over young people's minds for christ's sake, we choose to seek them out and see what they have to say and if we don't like it, we walk away, end of story.

Young people in these times know more than ever what we are getting ourselves into and what might happen by doing it. Ask any young Airmen, Soldier, Marine, or Sailor if they thought they would be sent to war by joining the military, and I'm sure they will tell you that they knew there was a 99.9% chance that they would be deployed to a war zone. That's why there is a United States Military, to go to war when we are called to do so, and young people have joined up to fight for our country since it's birth hundreds of years ago. She doesn't realize that the military is probably one of the best, if not the best, ways for a young person who can not afford to go to college to succeed and make something of themself, rather than working a dead-end 9-to-5 for the rest of their lives and never learning any marketable trade skills. I wish she could tell me of a 9-to-5 that provided a young person with money to attend college, full health and dental care and disability pay for getting injured on the job.

Credits
    Savings
    I'd like to back up what E4B said. So this parent thinks that enlisting in the Marines is 'unacceptable' does she? Well, if her child is 17, then it's her call. However, assuming he's 18, what right does she have to make every effort to hinder his aspirations to enlist? Sure, she can knock herself out being the 'concerned parent' but to actively try and stop her son and other potential servicemen/women from serving in the Armed Forces is too far and an encroachment on their freedom as adults to make their own decisions. Time to let go mom, the decision ain't yours to make and no student is forced into speaking to a recruiter, if they join it's because they have made a concious and adult decision to join.

I will attempt to cover this, however I am a long-winded speaker. The first part of this that I have a problem with is that the future of the child at the high school graduation age is just that....his/her future. What they desire to do sheltered or otherwise is their decision. Therefore, if your plan was to then "shelter" your child from the reality of life and some of the jobs out there as you had a problem with "buisness recruiters" not being so offered a place for sheltered recruitment then you are no better than the recruiters for which you place blame.

As well, I must then ask why the family is seeming to be overinvolved when in fact I believe they were underinvolved. The shelter is only there because the families are often not. Many feel ineptly unopen to speaking to their son about his desires, needs, and wants. Where were they when he signed the contract, went to MEPS, when the recruiter called the house? Were they open to hearing her son's opinion? Questions that must be asked. Did they listen to her son or the recruiter (if they talked to him) when discussing the 8 year contract because as I figure she is talking about an IRR contract in which 4 years is relatively inactive and much can be taken off as part of the DEP. (The very shortened version I know)

As well, she calls young people who must support themselves as "unfortunate." Well I apologize for being relatively unfortunate for ages. I know many of young men and women who make decisions from getting a job, having a family, going to college, and going into the military, who all MUST support themselves as their parents have neither the means or often the desire to protect them much further than the absolute necessity.

I however did not come out of high school, though I so desired to. I felt that the recruiters were given just as much access to us as the "job fairs," "college fairs" etc. But none more than my parents who discussed the acceptance for such an action which at the time was unnacceptable and I accepted it as so. I was told the military would be there after college and I accepted that 5 year detour. No pressure was more than my family.

However, when you agree to speak to a recruiter, or go to their office, or whatever contact you have with them, you make a small or absolute decision in your mind that you desire to join the military. Others do not speak to these individuals at all, because there is no desire. Therefore, it is a RESPONSIBILITY of the recruiters to either foster, enhance, or decipher that desire and your ability to be a member of their branch. If you meet the requirements and their standards they may offer you things or otherwise. You make the ultimate decision for what you want.

The problem lies with the fact that these are state institutions funded by the tax dollars of its people, protected and authorized by its government, put in place and protected by the men and women serving in our military and spilling their blood for the security of the nation to allow others (often MORE fortunate) to go to college, get a job, have a family, and sleep peacefully at night. Therefore the least these schools can do is be a gateway for recruiters to find the next generation of individuals willing to answer the call of service.

How dare we shelter our children so much from the realities of a righteous and acceptable life because it is not college. Most days I would trade my little piece of diploma paper for the EGA anyday. I find these individuals once again painting a pretty little picture of society in which we don't understand the true reality of human existence anymore. Living securely is important, but the understanding of security is different for many. I mean we are fed things much differently. Our fathers were not even alive for the last World War, many of our parents and our teachers actively protested Vietnam, and our history books and biased teachers show military/war history in a passing glance rather than a necessity because of the proximity to each and every individual in the nation. The functions of the school system are swaying daily and detrimentaly.

One of my favorite quotes for our generation reads: "If anybody is wondering: Where are the young idealists? Where are the people willing to devote themselves to causes larger than themselves? They are in uniform in Iraq straddling the divide between insanity and order." --David Brooks

I spent 5 years in college and I failed to find those idealists...
    My life will always be bigger than myself.

I apologize for length and lack of brevity and for the occassion rants, but I'm glad I got that out.

2-points.

Like everyone is saying, I think this mother is being a little too overprotective. Honestly the choice on wether or not to join the military is a choice made by a 17-18 year (or older) old adult. His mom is lucky he even told her about his plans because it does'nt matter what she thinks. Ultimatley it's the guy's life not his mothers.

And honestly it's not like recruiters are wondering in and out of classrooms, interupting class and salespitching.
    Recruiter: "Son I got a job for you."
    Student: "I'm in the middle of learning about Japan."
    Recruiter: "How would you like to see Japan?"
    Student: "I can't enlist, I want to be a rapper."
    Recruiter: "Ever heard of Shaggy?"

and so forth and so on

I know alot of people need the military and the military needs alot of people so why keep recruiters out?

Quote Originally Posted by bgsuwoody
    ...however I am a long-winded speaker.

Understatement of the freaking year!

lol.

But I concur!

Credits
    Savings
    I hear that some people on this site talk to recruiters at thhe young age of 16. Can you really start seriously talking to the recruiter at that age? Also how can you get the Marines to come to my school because only airforce and national gurd come lol... Only once a Marine came and I missed it (damnit!)

Quote Originally Posted by rickfjr74
    I hear that some people on this site talk to recruiters at thhe young age of 16. Can you really start seriously talking to the recruiter at that age? Also how can you get the Marines to come to my school because only airforce and national gurd come lol... Only once a Marine came and I missed it (damnit!)
    You can talk to a recruiter anytime. The closer you are to the 17 and a half mark the better, but a recruiter will allways give you advice if you express the desire to become a Marine. Also don't worry about getting the recruiters to come to you, they don't make it to every school. Just go to www.marines.com and fill out the request for information and the RS nearest you will get your info. Or you can do it the old fashion way and find the nearest RS and hoof it or bus it on down there and check it out for yourself.

Students are fed the "Get good grades, go to college" talk all through out there entire grade school carrer, when have you ever heard of your teacher saying; "get good grades, join the Military" by the time young persons are old enough to join the Military, they are old enough to make there own descisions of theire carrer paths or educational choices

The other day, my recruiter told me he had to sleep in his government issued car after working with a potential poolee. He was at the kids house until 3:00 AM, trying to convince his anti-military parents the experience their son will gain from the Marines. My recruiter told him, "call back in the morning if you want to join". The kid never called back. However, my recruiter still managed to pick me up for Saturday morning PT and bring me to IHOP for breakfast.

Marine Corps recruiters are some of the most mature, responsible and dedicated Marines out there. Ordinary civilians do not realize this and assume they just try to fill a quota.

If we let illegal immigrants work as janitors at our schools, why can't we let recruiters have that same access?

Thread Information