Why marksmanship is so important - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Stay relaxed! That's what I recommend most. If you start getting upset, it'll just make your shooting suffer even more.

jetdawgg
    Guest Free Member
    Follow that Front Sight Post. You won't miss. Heed all of what the Marines here are saying. It will work.

I finished 2nd in my CLNC Platoon with a 236. The high was a Marine from GA with a 238. NYC Marines generally don't shoot that well as we don't grow up around rifles. I listened a learned from the instructors.

I shot a 195 in Boot Camp. My trouble was the 200 and 300 yard line there. While in the Fleet I corrected those mistakes by listening to the instructors

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Ya'll have missed the very reason WHY MARKSMANSHIP IS SO IMPORTANT.........................because it makes it MUCH easier to kill your enemy!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    BRASS
    that's All You Need To Remember When Shooting!

Tap/Rack/Bang!

Better remember that for MCT when you're running around shooting blanks, you'll need it.

You dont have to shoot expert or anything else to do the job the Marine Corps gives you to do. I went unq and still was able to graduate and still survive in the Corps. Just do your best and the rest will follow. I qaulified marksman later on and was able to attain rank and also reenlist with just a marksman score. I was one who never cared to shoot but still did my job .

Quote Originally Posted by TazMatt
    You dont have to shoot expert or anything else to do the job the Marine Corps gives you to do. I went unq and still was able to graduate and still survive in the Corps. Just do your best and the rest will follow. I qaulified marksman later on and was able to attain rank and also reenlist with just a marksman score. I was one who never cared to shoot but still did my job .
    I wanna make a good impression thats all. And Ive been good at this my whole life.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    WOW, I went thru MCRDSD in May-July 1969 and we dropped three for not qualifying with the M-14! I guess PI was easier then!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    " The Most Deadlist Weapon In The World Is A Marine And His Rifle "

SEMPER FI

davblay,I was dropped back for a week and picked up with another platoon and was still able to graduate. Hollywood will never be harder than P.I. As I said you do your job and everything else will come about.Even though I didn't qualify during boot camp I later scored marksman and still earned my Sgt stripes in less than three years by doing my job to the best of my ability.I guess I was fortunate that I only had to requalify once during the whole six years I was in. I had a supply mos in case you were wondering,not taking anything away from supply people but I was'nt required to shoot but the one time.As I was saying qualifying is important if you are a grunt or where you have to fire your weapons all the time but you can still do your job without ever firing a weapon.I am not a C.O. but firing a rifle just wasn't one of my things and I guess I was very fortunate that I didn't have to go to combat,I would have if given orders to but as stated I didn't have to make the choice.Every Marine is important in what they do for without one you can't do the other.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    davblay,I was dropped back for a week and picked up with another platoon and was still able to graduate. Hollywood will never be harder than P.I. As I said you do your job and everything else will come about.Even though I didn't qualify during boot camp I later scored marksman and still earned my Sgt stripes in less than three years by doing my job to the best of my ability.I guess I was fortunate that I only had to requalify once during the whole six years I was in. I had a supply mos in case you were wondering,not taking anything away from supply people but I was'nt required to shoot but the one time.As I was saying qualifying is important if you are a grunt or where you have to fire your weapons all the time but you can still do your job without ever firing a weapon.I am not a C.O. but firing a rifle just wasn't one of my things and I guess I was very fortunate that I didn't have to go to combat,I would have if given orders to but as stated I didn't have to make the choice.Every Marine is important in what they do for without one you can't do the other.
    Thanks for clearing that up, but the way you posted it, it looked fishy:

"You dont have to shoot expert or anything else to do the job the Marine Corps gives you to do. I went unq and still was able to graduate and still survive in the Corps. Just do your best and the rest will follow. I qaulified marksman later on and was able to attain rank and also reenlist with just a marksman score. I was one who never cared to shoot but still did my job."

Again SGT thanks for clearing that up, I knew it wasn't easier on the Island, just trying ot rattle your chain, ok?

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    In the days before the Legendary Assault of Belleau Wood, we impressed the Fag Frenchmen by killing the Kaiser's boys from 700 yards. One shot one kill.

But then came the day when our Grandfathers had to race across open ground under heavy machinegun fire to close with and finally destroy our enemy.

Its the hard and tested Never Quit heart of an indivdual Marine that wins the battle.

jetdawgg
    Guest Free Member
    Its the hard and tested Never Quit heart of an indivdual Marine that wins the battle
    Michael, that is a quote for all time....

Listen to your PMI, that's all you have to do. Don't think about shooting, just enjoy it. Trust me, you're going to love that tiny little bit of freedom you get on the rifle range.

Also, since when do Poolees tell Sergeants...or any Marine for that matter to lock it up....haha...dude if you said that to me. Oh man.

Quote Originally Posted by killerinstinct
    never heard of getting a promotion for shooting a higher score.
    hey clarifying something you wont get a merirtorious for simply shooting a better score, BUT a rifle score is probably one of the biggest things in determining your cutting score. This is how important the Corps mputs being a rifleman over any thing else

Thread Information