what do you think of Cpl. Adam Kokesh - Page 3
Create Post
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    im not saying it does you arent allowed to even make any statements as you are Marine 24/7.

I dont agree with what he did personally i have the mentality that we dont choose the wars just fight them and will always have that mentality

jetdawgg
    Guest Free Member
    He is showing how patriotic he is to the USA. His love for our nation is strong. Marines are now displaying the leadership that the USA has lacked for sometime now.

Webb, Murtha, Kokesh, 10Z, etc. are changing the image of the 'dumb Marine'.

While at Fleet Week NYC a few weeks back most of the Marines that I spoke with were on point about the war. Most had been to Iraq.

As Marines we all understand our duty to the nation and to the Corps. We also should understand and display our honest feelings about our patriotism to the USA. To often this admin has wanted the citizens of this nation to display a loyalty to the administration itself

Rvillac2, Stand buy on that one I'll get back to you and find out what happend. I'm not going to post some BS because I don't know at this time.

well i read a bit more about this and i guess it means whiile still in the IRR you dont send a general a hateful email cuz learn everyone they you arent out of reach.

Personally im glad i did 8 years now.. LOL

Personally, I would have preferred he not have worn the digital cammies he and the others had on when they ran their little simulated patrol in NYC. But I also feel that Corps reaction was a bit over the top too. In understand they are now suggesting a general discharge. I can't think of anyone who has more right to protest, if they choose to, than someone who has put his ass on the line and his face in the sand. To raise this fuss over the fact that "he was in uniform" really just played into war oppositions' hand and floated this all further up and into the mainstream--and the media--than if they had just kept quiet and gone off muttering to themselves. I feel we, as Marines, do not give up our rights as American citizens when we are IRR or civilians. As I recall in the 60's there were plenty of anti war vets who protested and I don't recall anything ever being said about their being "in uniform", so what is the point of doing it now? Is is anymore disrespectful too if we, as we have frequently seen, for Iraq supporters to wear their uniforms? Seems this should cut both ways. Let it go and it will just vanish in 15 minutes anyway.

jetdawgg
    Guest Free Member
    Just another example of the jingoists here in the USA pushing their agenda.

Oh, freakin please. The "Jingoists". I need to get a bumper sticker made with that on it. "Jingoist and PROUD"! LOL.

FO, there were plenty of cases brought against those who protested in full uniform. Those wearing 'parts' of uniforms were generally not charged or messed with.

Also, there was no "IRR" in those days, so once you were 'out', you were 'out', unlike today.

Again, for the umpteenth time, the key words in the UCMJ are "bringing discredit". A pro war protestor, (or supporter, if you will) carrying a sign and using it to beat anti-war protestors, while in uniform, would be prosecuted. There have been high profile cases of Generals being prosecuted for wearing the uniform while endorsing certain political views (of the administration...the current admin). So, the knife DOES cut both ways.

Those who break the rules, pay the price, no matter what side of the political fence they are on. Personally, I think if you are going to protest/demonstrate, you shouldn't be wearing ANY kinda uniform or parts thereof. (That goes for both sides). There are plenty of T shirts and whatnot out there that can easily be purchased that proclaim your status as a veteran.....wear those instead!

You only give up certain rights as a member of the military (or the federal gummint, for that matter); the right to protest isn't one of them. However, you walk a dangerous line when you do so, in uniform, then disrespect an officer in writing, while you are still subject to the UCMJ. BTW, that also applies to retirees in the SMCR, who can (and have been) be reactivated and charged.

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    Him swearing at a Field Grade Officer was a bone head move. I personally don't know any Marine that would do that no matter how long they've been out.

jetdawgg
    Guest Free Member
    The war has divided the nation. People on both sides are irrational. When Marines become that way, it is severe.

The damage that this adminnistration has done will take a long time to heal.

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    leprechan, there certainly was a IIR in the 60s, it was a 6 year commitment unlike the current 8 year.

I stand corrected then. I didn't realize it was in existence that early. Interesting!

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    what's more interesting in 1972 or 73 a bunch of my buds got orders to show up at Ft McCoy Wisconsin. These guys had previously been drafted and had served their 2 years (still technically in the IRR).

Most of em told the army to blow it out their ass. They figured if they (the army)needed the bodies they should either draft more chumps or call up the active reserves (Dan Quale brigade).

Nothing happened to the no-shows.

Long before my IRR was over, I wore out my fatigues hunting and such; but I would never use them as a costume for a political stunt.

I bet he's planning on the attention for a future like Sheehan. I hope he likes it.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by ivalis
    leprechan, there certainly was a IIR in the 60s, it was a 6 year commitment unlike the current 8 year.
    The old Corps 6 years, 3-4 Active 2-3 inactive

I do believe the weekend warriors was eight years though...

Yeah, my first enlistment (which wasn't 'Old Corps' to some of you here LOL) was 4 AD and 2 IRR. Since I reenlisted, it didn't apply. I really didn't think that the IRR was in effect in the 60's, so thanks to all for educatin me on that!

Thread Information