Question for older pooles 19+
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question for older pooles 19+

I was just curious as to what held you back from joining out of high school, or when you were 18. Ive been looking at people's profiles and although most of you poolies are 18, I do see some that are in the 19-22 range. You think being older than the others will have any benefit during recruit training..maturity,mental, physical, etc.

I was not given an option by my parents and I know everyone says "its my life" well my parents have both been in the military and my mom just retired as a Major. She had to join the military to go to college and damn if her kids were going to have to...I always had the "the Marine Corps will be here when you are done" My two cousins are Marines and we are like brothers. I chose enlisting over OCS for personal reasons, some say its a mistake...we'll see.

As well being older has made me more mature...for sure...that's the thing I'm most thankful for. However, being on my own for five years has given me certain freedoms that I are going to be a shock to lose...this is part of the mental aspect I should be able to overcome easily. Physically, I think I am more disciplined than I had been. I have learned to set specific goals, track the progress, and do it in a timely fashion not to mention I can suck up my pride and ask for help...a severe problem for many 17-18 year olds...I sure as hell was this kid. However, with knowledge, college has made me a sponge. I read things 3 or 4 times and I can committ them to memory. This has been the one thing I am glad for.

The experience won't be much different as long as I feel I am prepared...its the same hell for everyone, but how you deal with it is the key and this site has been a godsend of good information and tips to remember.

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    If I could join at 18 I would BUT yours truly got f***ed when he was born in Canada.

Come on now, at least the women look good in Toronto.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by HurricaneRJ
    Come on now, at least the women look good in Toronto.
    Have you been? I've never spent that much time in Toronto but I know for a fact downtown Montreal has some fine chicks I tell you what. The only two things I like about Canada is that the drinking age is 18 and most chicks downtown are easy... and did I mention hot?

Makes me kinda wish we had a Marine Corps.

I know there was some talk a few years back about having Marines, but it was suppose to model the Royal Marine Commandos not the U.S. Marine Corps.

Well I was very overweight and even though i had some buddies enlisting and I had the USMC in the back of my head, i had baisicly kept telling myself that I just couldn't do it. Then a few months later (despite having a $17/Hr job and being enrolled in community college) my parent's kicked me out of my house. The i moved in with a friend and him and his girlfriend told me i needed to lose weight. Once i dropped twenty pounds i remembered my desire to be a Marine and My friend came home on leave and took me to meet his recruiter. The rest is history.

I was immature and jaded towards military life because my family had PCSed about 2 years earlier and I felt I had lost all my best friends and I didn't want to go through it again. So I thought I would just be a regular guy and work a 9-to-5 the rest of my life.....until I realized I was going nowhere, and then a friend of mine enlisted and my girl broke up with me and I felt I wanted to do something important with my life and make my family proud by being the only grandchild on my dad's side to serve in the military.

Thanks for the replies. I wish like hell I can enlist now. I got into college and am excited for it but to be honest Id rather be a Marine now rather than wait another year or 2

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by USMC90
    most chicks downtown are easy... and did I mention hot?
    I think they're called hookers

Oh Montreal, that city brings back some memories. Mount Royal on a summer day when lots of people are there partying. The metro and La Ronde. OH and the summer fire works shows.

Damn I need to go back some time!

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by MKinney
    Oh Montreal, that city brings back some memories. Mount Royal on a summer day when lots of people are there partying. The metro and La Ronde. OH and the summer fire works shows.

Damn I need to go back some time!
    I haven't been to la ronde in a LONG a$$ time but it's sweet. Mount Royal.. what can I say? Frickin' awesome. I'd definitely recommend anyone regardless of what country you're from to come down on Canada day..If you've been here on Canada day you know what I'm talking about.

BTW are you by any chance Canadian? Most Americans aren't big fans of those places because most people there only speak French.

I think they're called hookers
    If hookers are free then you may be right.

I didn't even want to join the military until a few months after my 19th birthday. One day I got a rush of patriotism and started looking into it. A week later I was in the office signing up.

I chose the Marines because of their reputation, their uniform, and the chance to earn a shiny sword. I was sold on the Marines young. Those commercials they used to play portraying Marines as enduring Knights fighting molten dragons.... Awesome, if I ever was going to join the military I wanted to be apart of that, haha.

I am still a wannabe, but I know exactly what Dzoavits means!

Quote Originally Posted by Dzoavits
    I didn't even want to join the military until a few months after my 19th birthday. One day I got a rush of patriotism and started looking into it. A week later I was in the office signing up.

I chose the Marines because of their reputation, their uniform, and the chance to earn a shiny sword. I was sold on the Marines young. Those commercials they used to play portraying Marines as enduring Knights fighting molten dragons.... Awesome, if I ever was going to join the military I wanted to be apart of that, haha.
    Yea, the commercials the Marines are putting out now a days are Amazing. The "We dont accept Applications" one and "Pride of a Nation" are my favorites.

Thread Information