Former DEP discharge trying to get back in: Fact or Fitction
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Former DEP discharge trying to get back in: Fact or Fitction

OK..I was in the DEP last year and got out because I decided I would like to be a medic rather than an ammo tech(the only reserve unit in my direct area). But now I have learned about an infantry unit not too far away and a Recon unit not far but out of state.

So the problem is, a recruiter(he wasn't my recruiter, but I knew him from around the office) stopped by tonight and said if I want to do it now I can go join up again if I'm serious about it. He said since it's the end of the month Gunny told him to go see me and that normally they won't let a discharge back in, but they will let me if I'm serious. But I have to do it now and go to MEPS Thursday.

This is all smells fishy to me, so anyone who might know how these things are normally handled I would love to hear about it.

I told him I'd like to wait about a month or so before making my decision since I know things can change.

That other recruiter wouldn't waste his time going to see you if there was no way that you could sign up again after having been discharged. If you still want to join, then go for it. And if you are very particular about what your MOS is going to be and consequently what reserve unit you'll be in and their location, then be sure to read the contract before you sign it. I'm not sure what you think is fishy. Good luck.

Either you want it or you don't. You already broke an oath once- so feel fortunate that they are giving you a second chance- I wouldn't if I were in their place. But, since you aren't willing to do it now, you won't be willing to do it in a month. You either want to do it or not- and it sounds like you don't.

That other recruiter wouldn't waste his time going to see you if there was no way that you could sign up again after having been discharged. If you still want to join, then go for it. And if you are very particular about what your MOS is going to be and consequently what reserve unit you'll be in and their location, then be sure to read the contract before you sign it. I'm not sure what you think is fishy. Good luck.
    They are saying I can sign up now, as in this week, if I want to, but I won't be able to after that. That's what sounds fishy to me.

Either you want it or you don't. You already broke an oath once- so feel fortunate that they are giving you a second chance- I wouldn't if I were in their place. But, since you aren't willing to do it now, you won't be willing to do it in a month. You either want to do it or not- and it sounds like you don't.
    The question isn't whether or not I want to join the military, the question is about the job I want. I wouldn't be the first person who would like some time to make a life changing decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Geezus
    They are saying I can sign up now, as in this week, if I want to, but I won't be able to after that. That's what sounds fishy to me.The question isn't whether or not I want to join the military, the question is about the job I want. I wouldn't be the first person who would like some time to make a life changing decision.
    There's nothing fishy about that.
    Sounds like you've already had alot of time. How long were you in the DEP before?

There's nothing fishy about that.
    Sounds like you've already had alot of time. How long were you in the DEP before?
    Well it was only 2 weeks ago when I started seriously thinking about this option. Before that I was looking at being a corpsman in the Navy or a medic in the Army. I was in the DEP for a while, about...5 months probably.

I think if you want this you should do it. Doesn't sound like your gonna get another shot at being a Marine.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Curt, you've had plenty of time to decide. Either you want to be a Marine or not. MOS choice is secondary.

The short time frame to sign is a test of your resolve. You're failing that test.

I don't think you really want to be a Marine.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    And you would rather be a Grunt than a Medic? Did you DEP into the Navy or the Army? Be quite honest, I don't think you got what it takes to be a Marine - you stepped off once, who's to say you'll have another day of confusion and change your mind again. It ain't rocket science - you either want to do it or not. Did the Medic idea get tossed? Just make a decision already!

If you REALLY want to be a Medic - call the Navy and/or Army Recruiters tomorrow and see which one offers you their best. My advice - go Navy then you could be stationed with a Grunt unit (I hear they LOVE their Docs) and everybody is happy!

Credits
    Savings
    Images

Curt Geezus

You are the one that sounds fishy to me. I know you didn't ask for opinions but here is mine anyway. I spent 20 years in my Marines Corps. ANy of the other Marines that have posted have said the very same thing. If I had a Marine like you in a platoon of mine I would have fired you from just about the start. I would have given you a few days to climitize and that's it. You are wishy washy at best and can't make up your mind don't join the Corps for any other reason than being a Marine.

Credits
    Savings
    I was in the Topeka Unit.. I have no regrets about that decision...

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I second that Gunny, besides he hasn't even changed his avitar, he still shows he's a poolee! He has known all this time he was out of the DEP and hasn't changed that!! Now that sounds fishy to me!

I would not have asked him to come back, we don't need anyone that bad! It ain't rocket science ya know?

Curt, you've had plenty of time to decide. Either you want to be a Marine or not. MOS choice is secondary.
    I'll try to explain this as easy as possible. I would love to be a Marine but that is not my only reason for joining the military. I want to fight for my country, if I can't do that as a Marine then I will do it as a soldier, airman, or sailor. I just want to fight my country the best way possible.

And you would rather be a Grunt than a Medic? Did you DEP into the Navy or the Army? Be quite honest, I don't think you got what it takes to be a Marine - you stepped off once, who's to say you'll have another day of confusion and change your mind again. It ain't rocket science - you either want to do it or not. Did the Medic idea get tossed? Just make a decision already!
    No I was never in any other DEP.

I second that Gunny, besides he hasn't even changed his avitar, he still shows he's a poolee! He has known all this time he was out of the DEP and hasn't changed that!! Now that sounds fishy to me!
    I made a request to the Mods to have it changed and they never did so.

I know what all of you are saying and I understand, but honestly, I am just trying to find out if I will be able to join if I don't do it right away.

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    I've got a good friend who was in Army-special forces training. While on leave, he did some stupid stuff, and got a dishonorable discharge for it. His recruiter calls him every month or two, and tells him that they're willing to 'make it all go away' if he'll sign back on.

But that's the Army. I'm surprised you're even getting a second shot from the Marines. They are always making past enlistment quota, it's not like they have to go looking for people to enlist.

It seems pretty simple. If a recruiter said you could join then he's not lying. He wouldn't waste his time if he knew you couldn't. So, it's up to you from here on out. If it were me, I would jump on it.

Thread Information