Stupid kid! - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stupid kid!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Well, I'm not trying to terrify people from joining the Corps, but there are ugly realities to war.

Saving Private Ryan was a pretty realistic movie, especially the opening scenes. However, as most combat veterans pointed out, while pretty good for a movie, it still wasn't as loud, confusing, or smelly as being there.

I knew an Army MSgt, a machine gunner by trade. He was a PFC on Hamburger Hill. I asked him what he thought of that movie when it came out. He said it was pretty good except for three things: 1)They didn't get as far up the hill in real life as the movie showed until the NVA pulled out. 2) It didn't smell like blood and sh*t, and 3) It wasn't bloody enough. Up to that point, Hamburger Hill was one of the bloodiest war movies made.

Credits
    Savings
    DaveIII strikes me as a kid who wants to be a Marine because it's SO COOL in the video games, but we should remember he is only 16. He might not be mature enough to understand that the picture is disrespectful and this is not the right place for it.

With age comes understanding, I hope.

I don't know it if it is maturity, or just lack of contact with real life veterans. I am immature as hell and I am 22. Just look at some of my posts and god if anyone looks at my myspace or something.

However, I took two years of my college career working with a professor who was working on different PTSD studies and the DSM-III. During this time we interviewed and spent time with countless veterans with countless stories. We met with some of the more famous authors/writers including Anthony Swafford, Michael Herr, Paul Fussel, and Tim O'Brien.

I couldn't wish upon anyone anything better than to have had this experience. You get a better sense on the realities of war and when I hear things like Zulu is saying some of these interviews come back so clear and if the explaination and imagination I had of their events was so vivid, I could only imagine being there.

My only problem is with the way that some on here seem to think war is some fun event. You see people that come here and are really concerned that they won't get to go kill Hajii if they don't have a particular MOS. While I understand why they want to do it (or at least my own reason which may or may not be theirs).

I think it is important to explain that it isn't like a video game when the bullets are real. On a video game when your best friend gets shot you laugh at him. In the real world you spend time cleaning his brain matter and blood out of your ears. It isn't fun, and the things that happen may haunt you for the rest of your life- or you may not come back.

I'm all for having an Ooh-Rah KILL attitude. But, you need to weigh that against reality from time to time.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Those are the ones who will yell CO when the $h!t hits the fan and splatters. Then they'll get Mama or Daddy to fight the fight to keep them here. It's a wonder the Corps is as strong as it is!

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Zulu 36
    Well, I'm not trying to terrify people from joining the Corps, but there are ugly realities to war.

Saving Private Ryan was a pretty realistic movie, especially the opening scenes. However, as most combat veterans pointed out, while pretty good for a movie, it still wasn't as loud, confusing, or smelly as being there.

I knew an Army MSgt, a machine gunner by trade. He was a PFC on Hamburger Hill. I asked him what he thought of that movie when it came out. He said it was pretty good except for three things: 1)They didn't get as far up the hill in real life as the movie showed until the NVA pulled out. 2) It didn't smell like blood and sh*t, and 3) It wasn't bloody enough. Up to that point, Hamburger Hill was one of the bloodiest war movies made.
    Hamburger Hill and Saving Private Ryan are two of my favorites. I don't like war movies that kinda give you the feeling that war is something fun to be a part of.

I think it is important to explain that it isn't like a video game when the bullets are real. On a video game when your best friend gets shot you laugh at him. In the real world you spend time cleaning his brain matter and blood out of your ears. It isn't fun, and the things that happen may haunt you for the rest of your life- or you may not come back.
    My mom works at a veterans hospital and I had an opportunity to meet a Canadian Soldier who served in Bosnia. He told me one story about how he had to kill a little boy who was carrying an AK47 and had explosives strapped to his chest... the Soldier was I think in his late 20's early 30's. Just looking into his eyes when he was telling me this, honestly, broke my heart.

I don't remember who said this but it goes something like "War is pleasant to those who have had no experience of it."

As much as I dislike war.. if I was ever needed I would pack my bags and leave.

Quote Originally Posted by USMC90
    I had an opportunity to meet a Canadian Soldier who served in Bosnia. He told me one story about how he had to kill a little boy who was carrying an AK47 and had explosives strapped to his chest... the Soldier was I think in his late 20's early 30's. Just looking into his eyes when he was telling me this, honestly, broke my heart.
    Damn.................. I'm having my own moment of silence for the little boy and the Solider.

I must agree w/ Zulu 110%. Dave sometimes there are thing you just don't brag about. Something happened over 21 years ago, and sometimes in my dreams its like it was only minutes ago. Do yourself a favor and add something else or remove it totally. Good luck pal....GOOSE

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Marine84
    talk about stupid kid................you come on a Marine site with a screen name with "army" in it?????

Sorry ma'am, I am in the army at the moment, but I am in the process of switching branches

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveXIII90
    See my singature? See the words "What was I thinkin?" ? I wonder if shes thinkin that right now.... lol
    You guyz won't scare me off that easily! Lol

It sounds as if you have PTSD. I beleve that you should find a good shrink. I did after 29 years. It was one of the best things I have done for myself. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by army17
    You guyz won't scare me off that easily! Lol
    Two questions.

1. Why switch?
    2. What process are you going through to switch branches?

Thread Information