I Did A Pull-Up!
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Talking I Did A Pull-Up!

Hooray for out-of-shape-me! Some kids in the gym today didn't think I could do a pull-up, and I didn't think I could do a pull-up, but then one of them started bickering about my "joke" to enlist in the Corps because I probably couldn't do a pull-up. But then, I lept up, hung there, and then went up... It took forever, I thought my muscles were going to come out of my skin. I finally got my chin above the bar but then I fell off and whacked my chin against the bar and it was all bloody. Oh well. I did a pull-up! I am probably not going to attempt that again until I lose some serious weight.

You don't need to lose weight to get your pullups up, but it will help. Do pushups to develop your shoulder muscles then once you can do about 10 Marine Corps pushups you should be able to do at least 2 pullups. There's no guarantees but it's a start. Good luck and keep up the good work.

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Make it 2 tomorrow!

Get out there and git 'r done!

Brooks++++++++++++Keep trying, everyday try for one more if you don't make it on a day try harder the next, Keep a pos. atatued(sp) One otherthing is some peoples bodys are not bult for some typs of excersizes. I am one of them. It was damn hard for me to do pull-ups and clime the slick rope. But I had some strong points too. Like running. The DIs could never run me down. I run for 2 years before going in. This was done at high alttitudes (5580 ft. to 10,000 ft. in the sumer. The DIs respeced me for that. Keep up your good work. Let us know every week.

Brooks, a month or two back i was in your shoes, just keep getting up on that bar and do those pushups and youll be amazed how far you'll go.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    I'm finishing up my sophmore year in high school. I am 6'2" and 235lbs. I am a grade A+ lardass. I have no idea how I made it up that bar. I'll stick with pushups for awhile, I can do like 20 on average. Some days the area around my collar just kill and I can only do like 15.

No need to wait until you lose weight, that's just wasting time. Find the program by Stew Smith that is outlined on this forum and follow it. You'll be doing pull ups easily as you lose weight. By the time you enlist, 20 should be easy.

Quote Originally Posted by grodunt
    You don't need to lose weight to get your pullups up, but it will help. Do pushups to develop your shoulder muscles then once you can do about 10 Marine Corps pushups you should be able to do at least 2 pullups. There's no guarantees but it's a start. Good luck and keep up the good work.
    How does one do a Marine Corps push-up? Because I also need to put some serious work into my pull ups. I am pretty much in Books' shoes (heavy guy, suck at pull ups), I weighed in at 213.5 when I went to the gym today, and have never been able to do pull ups. Any advice?

A Marine Corps pushup is just 2 regular pushups. They are 4 count where normal pushups are 2 count.

Honestly, the above comment is incorrect. To do pullups the primary muscles used are the back and biceps. To do pushups you use your chest and shoulders.

There are tons of programs on this forum. I prefer the Stew Smith program for anyone that can't do pullups or can just do a few. Recon Ron is great once you have that under control.

Or the Armstrong Program.

I started off being able to do 2 dead hang pullups. I began on the Armstrong Pullup Program and in just 6 weeks I was up to 10. I plateaued at that point and then began doing the Recon Ron Program (from recommendation from my recruiter) and got to about 14 before I plateaued again. Then I began doing the Stew Smith Program (which I absolutely love by the way) and in 2 weeks I reached 17.

Now I filter my two programs. I do a day/night program with interchanges between Recon Ron and Stew Smith...

For example Monday I would do The Stew Smith program with palms facing me and in the evening would do the Recon Ron Program with palms facing away from me. Then on Tuesday I would switch the arm directions, but not the programs...then each week I switch up which program is morning and which is evening...this seems to give me more endurance and continues to confuse the hell out of my muscles. I use Sunday mornings/nights as a time to do a PFT and see where my progression is.

Oh and I am a semi-scrawny fella...I'm 6'1" 160 on a good day

Armstrong pullup program.

however do pushups until you can get a few, and run, and lift.

Books, read Accords article for "Fat Bodies". It's very motivating, even though I am a twig.

JesseR

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Shoulder press and lat pulldowns. That will get it done.

Lat Pulls and Shoulder Press helped me get to 3 for now. I'm planning on trying to atleast gain 1-2 pull-ups a week.

Thread Information