03XX field full? - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    you have to remember all Marines no matter what their MOS is are basic rifleman. Any time your unit is combat you could be called upon to fill a space on the line somewhere. I was an assultman as well as an instructor at SOI for the Assultmans course. I think it was on of the best MOS in the o3 field. We carried the SMAW, Dragon which was replaced with the Javelin. We also learn explosives and how to make IED. Demolition is also part of the MOS. Being a poge would be an alright job for awhile. Remeber in office you are exposed to more Staff NCOS and officers. Making friends with these Marines can get you places you would want to be. LAVs would also be a good spot to be. Have you ever seen what the main gun on that vehicle can do. Every infantryman will tell you also riding is better than humping any day. Take what the Corps gives you and be proud of it. If the Marines gave everyone what they wanted then everyone would join. You have to earn what you get from the Corps never forget that. Stay motivated

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Poolee Kane
    When I went to MEPS, right before I enlisted the Marines there told me that there were no 0311 slots open in any reserve stations near me. But, they were nice enough to offer me an enlistment as a 2147 (LAV mechanic) until an 0311 opened up and they promised me they would switch me to that when it opened up. Yeah okay. So I said thanks but no thanks, I won't enlist unless I have my MOS guaranteed on paper. Two minutes later, they conveniently managed to find an 0311 for me. Coincidence my butt. They wouldn't get my soul unless I could be an infantryman, so they gave it to me.

But now it's a problem again, as my former recruiter conveniently switched my MOS to something else without telling me. Now they've been saying since January that 0300s are full EVERYWHERE (which they've been saying sine three months after the jobs reset, even though when I enlisted I managed to get an 0311 ELEVEN months after the jobs reset). Now I'm supposed to ship in five days but unless I get an 03XX back I'll just wait until the jobs reset, which would mean I would have to get a discharge from the DEP and enlist again because I would be in for over a year. Awesome.

No offense to any recruiters here, but indy, just because your recruiter said so doesn't always make it the truth. If they can get you to ship out without having to fill up another spot on an in-demand job (infantry), then they'll try to do that come hell or high waters.
    Sounds like you got the WEDDING BELL BLUES! I know you are scared and tense right now about shipping in 5 days and even trying to find a way to get out and blame some one else for it, but settle down, relax, take a deep breath! Rethink the situation after all you have been preparing for this for 11 months now, don't abandon ship now! Things will work out, you'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by davblay
    Sounds like you got the WEDDING BELL BLUES! I know you are scared and tense right now about shipping in 5 days and even trying to find a way to get out and blame some one else for it, but settle down, relax, take a deep breath! Rethink the situation after all you have been preparing for this for 11 months now, don't abandon ship now! Things will work out, you'll see.
    I'm many things right now, but scared is hardly one of them. I've been trying to get my 0311 back since January and the only reason I didn't try to get out then was because they swore up and down that they'd find a slot. I wouldn't have enlisted if they wouldn't have given me 03XX in the first place. The idea of getting discharged and going through everything all over again ****es me off, but I'm not going to set my life goal to something lower so I can be convenient to my recruiter or because I'll be labeled a quitter. Think what you want, but come October 1st you'll see me at MEPS again.

indysoccer16---You will just have to wait till October like the rest of us. Yeah its not the best possible outcome, but if you want it bad you will wait. im sure it will be worth it.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I went to MEPS 3 times to fight and get my infantry spot. If you want it bad enough, you can get it. They tried to keep me from doing it telling me it was full, and that I scored really high on the ASVAB so I could do anything else. I said no. I joined to serve in the field as a grunt, and dammit I did it. You can wait it out or you can be a POG. Its your choice. Just make sure you do what you want to do and not what someone else says you should do because its your job for the next 4-5 years.

Semper Fi, Seeley.

Well I ship in 12 days and I won't be going in as on 03XX But im not going to back out of my enlistment and wait to get in that field come October. I am to excited for the chance to be a Marine. So I'm going to keep the 08XX field that im signed up for now as a Fire control man and see where that takes me. Right now since artillery is kind of a lost art in this urban war some artillery units are serving as infantry so hopefully I will be one of them. But My NCOIC said that he will keep an eye open for 1812 and 03XX for me. I take his word because he got me the artillery job with a nice bonus attached to it. and he has been around me for a couple months now and knows how much I want it. Since my last NCOIC was left last month and his last month here he didn't do anything he said for anyone. Ohhh well, people will be people.

I've also been trying to get into an 03xx, and my recruiter told me that the new slots don't open back up until October. He also, though, that he may be able go get me in there anyway.

Nothing wrong with being a cannon cocker, and you'll get to visit Oklahoma- which is the best thing that could happen to anyone.

ive heard all about the wonderfull trip to OK. and how crappy and rundown that base is and how bad the quarters are. and I get to be there for two months.

Wait until you get in fights with the Army counterparts.

I've heard way too many stories.

Thread Information