RE4 code but want back in.. - Page 3
Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    LISTEN NUMB-NUT'S IT'S ALL OVER BUT THE CRYIN'G,SUC-IT UP

Quote Originally Posted by Bushywag
    hey. I have the same problem as you. I do not know my discharge or code but a year has passed. Kinda getting screwed over. But I so want in.

I have been researching and the answer i found are these:

1. Request a waiver.
    2. Change your whole identity down to your fingerprints
    3. Speak with a recruiter about other options.

I feel the same. I can't do anything and I want to get back in. I would go to boot again. AHHHH!!! this sucks. at least you know your re code. so get back to me. talk about this more. later.

I've looked everywhere and researched everything possible and have finally gotten my ok to reenlist. I got my discharged changed and my RE code and am finally good to go. I'm am glad that I can try and help other motivated guys to change their status.

Here is what you need to do.

1. Request a copy of your dd-214. You can request it from here National Archives and Records Administration (NARA)
    2. Once you receive your dd214 look at what your Re code is, your type of discharge, and possibly your seperation code.
    3. Send a dd149 to BCNR for there review. You can get a dd 149 from there site. (http://www.hq.navy.mil/bcnr/bcnr.htm)
    4. Contact the Discharge Review Board. You would have to fill out a DD243. You can contact them at this site.
    Navy and USMC
    Navy Discharge Review Board
    801 N. Randolph St., Suite 905
    Arlington, VA 22203.
    5. You can also send a request to the Commadant of the Marine Corps. Go to there main website for his address. http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn20...epage?readform

The last thing you can do is pray and hope that it gets changed. Make your argument worthy because they look at everything. They look at not only your time in service and your discharge, but your scores your personality just everything. Good luck! hope it goes well for you.

hey. I have the same problem as you. I do not know my discharge or code but a year has passed. Kinda getting screwed over. But I so want in.

1. Request a waiver.

I feel the same. I can't do anything and I want to get back in. I would go to boot again. AHHHH!!! this sucks. at least you know your re code. so get back to me. talk about this more. later.
    I've looked everywhere and researched everything possible and have finally gotten my ok to reenlist. I got my discharged changed and my RE code and am finally good to go. I'm am glad that I can try and help other motivated guys to change their status.

Here is what you need to do.

1. Request a copy of your dd-214. You can request it from here National Archives and Records Administration (NARA)
    2. Once you receive your dd214 look at what your Re code is, your type of discharge, and possibly your seperation code.
    3. Send a dd149 to BCNR for there review. You can get a dd 149 from there site. (http://www.hq.navy.mil/bcnr/bcnr.htm)
    4. Contact the Discharge Review Board. You would have to fill out a DD243. You can contact them at this site.
    Navy and USMC
    Navy Discharge Review Board
    801 N. Randolph St., Suite 905
    Arlington, VA 22203.
    5. You can also send a request to the Commadant of the Marine Corps. Go to there main website for his address. http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn20...epage?readform

The last thing you can do is pray and hope that it gets changed. Make your argument worthy because they look at everything. They look at not only your time in service and your discharge, but your scores your personality just everything. Good luck! hope it goes well for you.

1. Request a waiver.

I noted the earlier thread on the other side, didn't get a chance to jump in (luckily for you at the time). How the hell do you NOT know your RE code? It's on your DD214...you know the little piece of paper that says "This is an important document, safeguard it"?

And..you don't know your discharge status, either? WTF, over?

Some good advice has been posted here by several Marines who have successfully gotten back in, something I wouldn't have thought possible. My hat's off to them, both for having the nads to take on the system and the patience to do so.

I suggest you take a page out of their book and go from there. AFTER you check your attitude. And take a hard look at WHY you want to come back, as well as if you could even hang if you were lucky enough to get back in. From your attitude, looks like you might have 'issues' in that regard.

Just my 2cents, but I'd suggest you pay the hell attention.

Oh, and don't bother with the 'change your identity' nonsense, since the Corps has your DNA on file.

Prior Service Question

Maybe someone can help me with me dilemma in this thread. I love the Corps it values, traditions, Camp Lejeune, and the Outer Banks, NC. And, I haven’t been happy for the last ten years that is professional. I graduated college did all the right things stayed clean have good credit. I have a loving wife and beautiful daughter. But I keep getting all these mediocre jobs that to be honest suck working shift work putting up with ignorant bosses. I have been considering reenlisting even though I have a college degree with a 40,000 student loan. I guess the one thing that keeps me from making the leap is that I want to be sure I can take care of my family financial if I reenlist. Because I’ll probably start at or near the bottom LCPL or CPL with minimal pay. I don’t worry about my wife Chinese-American and is very supportive and only wants what will make me happy. She is not concerned about the monetary value. But if I reenlisted in the Army I could go to OCS despite my age 33 and provide a good solid financial future for my family. It’s a tough call because I’m a Marine to the Core.

I hope someone could clear up some questions for me. My stats: MOS 0311 1993 to 1997 honorable discharge RE-A1 reenlistment code. 33 years old married with one child do I have any chance of reenlisting?

However, I do have one hang up. When I first graduated college in December 2004 I almost rejoined the Marine Corps. I had my reenlistment package in my hand and was at MEPS. When I found out the recruiter was an "S-Bird." Sorry if this offends anyone but he truly was a S-Bird. I was going over the package with the Gunny and things were wrong. He listed my Primary MOS incorrectly he put that I was in supply. He also pulled a fast one on me and none of my top three MOS choices were listed they were completely different. He did not include that I graduated college or mentioned my degree. I told the Gunny that I felt like I was stepping on my own foot - I change the wording to protect the innocent.

I understand that I'm not eligible for OCS because of my age even though the Marine Corps according to the new Order I read on the Marine Reserve website is allowing PFC's with 75 credit hours to transfer to active reserve and go to OCS. However, am eligible to reenlist even though I turned down the first reenlistment package? Would I be eligible for any bonus? Would I retain my rank of Corporal? What would be my average bring home pay with dependents? Also would I be able to stay 0311?

I love the Marine Corps. But, I'm finding that "Once a Marine Always a Marine." This seems to only apply to the Marine themselves not to the great Marine Corps. I'm a little disappointed with that fact. I love Camp Lejeune and the Marine Corps and I am trying to get a few answers before making any decisions. Because I have a wife and daughter now and this decision directly affects them.

I have also spoken with a Army Recruiter who was every help to me and indicated that I would be eligible for OCS. However, I can not put my arms around being in the army and I need to exhaust all of my avenues before weighing my options and making any decision. Because the most important thing to me right now is once again serving my country, being a good dad, and loving my wife. So, if anyone has any suggestions please give me some input because of my age I'm running out of time.

Your choices ARE limited...1. Reenlist USMC and probably go in as a PFC (you have been out too long, I doubt that you will keep your previous rank...BTDT); 2. Reenlist USMCR, might get back in and keep old rank with date of rank as date of enlistment, make a couple of drills and then request a augmentation to AD (back door method) and 3. go Army and OCS, get your commission from the Army, serve a year or so after commission, and request a transfer of service as an officer to the Marine Corps. If approved, you have got the whole enchalida... MC service and Officer rank. This can and has been done in the past. Good Luck with whatever road you choose. (I wouldn't tell the Army recruiter that you would eventually be interested in a change of service transfer after being commissioned for obvious reasons). If you choose the USMC / USMCR route, your pay would be based on whatever rank given with "over 8 years of service" .

Credits
    Savings
    Images

Question

Quote Originally Posted by oldtop
    Your choices ARE limited...1. Reenlist USMC and probably go in as a PFC (you have been out too long, I doubt that you will keep your previous rank...BTDT); 2. Reenlist USMCR, might get back in and keep old rank with date of rank as date of enlistment, make a couple of drills and then request a augmentation to AD (back door method) and 3. go Army and OCS, get your commission from the Army, serve a year or so after commission, and request a transfer of service as an officer to the Marine Corps. If approved, you have got the whole enchalida... MC service and Officer rank. This can and has been done in the past. Good Luck with whatever road you choose. (I wouldn't tell the Army recruiter that you would eventually be interested in a change of service transfer after being commissioned for obvious reasons). If you choose the USMC / USMCR route, your pay would be based on whatever rank given with "over 8 years of service" .
    Top:

I'm sorta in the same situation (and a little bitter, too.)

I just dropped to IRR from the SMCR two weeks ago.

I wanted to lat move into intel with another unit (who wouldn't sponsor me for a waiver for my mom's citizenship issue).

My old unit (while I was still there) never followed up with putting together a package for OCS under the new Reserve commissioning program (yes, I'm 39, but the prior service years in SMCR subtracted from the 'cut off' would still make me qualified). I guess I'd have to go to an OSO to see if he would work with me (I've been to OCS twice before, both times with a so-so history, so that may be a deal breaker.)

I'm considering going Navy or AF to get into intel (still have less than 2 years of IRR time), and maybe even for a commission. The Marine Corps wasn't quick to take me into intel - maybe the Nav or the AF can use me (though I don't really want to go Navy or AF blue.)

You're saying that if you went to another branch and got commissioned, it would be possible to take your commission to another branch after a year or so? (Moving over with a Navy commission to the Marine Corps would entail TBS, I'm assuming.)

I've been banging my head for ten years to obtain a Marine Corps officer commission but I'm thinking that train may have passed me by a long time ago. Since I'm working on my PhD now, I'm not sure if becoming an officer of Marines at this point is a good idea anymore (though I'd go through it again if I get the chance.)

Any guidance for an aging Sergeant?

Thanks Top..for the suggestions...I'll have to check out the interservice transfers. I have sent a e-mail, picture of myself, DD-214, and Resume to USMCR HQ because on an exceptional basis depending on education, professional careers, and personal record they will allow you to do a AD assignment. I figured it was worth a shot. But, other thing why would I start with 8 years because I only served 4 active and 4 inactive reserve. Does the inactive reserve count toward your years of service for pay?

gwladgarwr: yep..it IS possible to get your commission from another branch and request a transfer from one branch to another, BUT, like everything else..it depends on the NEEDS of the Corps if your transfer to the USMC is granted. For some reason, it seems that getting into intel is a major PITA for folks that were not originally assigned an intel MOS. I've known several that tried, but none that succeeded. You might want to consider another MOS. Also, the fact that you have had TWO prior attempts at OCS may well be a stumbling block that you will not be able to overcome as far as the Corps goes.
    Drew330: yep again.. your total service counts for pay purposes. You have completed your initial obligation of 8 years, so for pay purposes only, you're "over 8". Another thing for you to consider (and you too gwladgarwr) is that with prior enlisted service, unless there has been a change in MC policy in the last couple of years, you MUST be selected for Major by the time you have 17 years of qualifing service (years that count toward retirement, NOT IRR years unless you get 50 points for each of those IRR years) or you are OUT...No Active Duty Retirement..you revert to reserve status. And finally, your commission will be as USMCR not USMC..you will be allowed to serve 2 or 3 years of AD, then the CORPS will decide if you will be allowed to augment to the regular MC as a USMC officer, once again based on the needs of the Corps and your fitness reports, performance, MOS, etc. Good Luck to you both.
    Semper Fi

Thanks Top

Hey Tops

Thanks again, but I never applied to OCS as of yet. I have only called the OSO in my area when I graduated college in 2004. And, I'm sorry to say he was an a**. He said he would humor me and talk with me because I was a former Marine, but as far as putting in a package and age waiver he was not willing to do that. I tried to convince him that I was serious about this opportunity with the Corps. I even to a self PFT and gave him the results and told him that I would come to office right now and take a PFT.

However, I check out interservice transfers into the Marine Corps and in 2006 they allowed 150 interservice transfers. Here is the link to the story http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn20...2,Interservice . Thanks for the advice I think I getting closer to a decision with your help.

Another question for you Top

Do for interservice transfers are there any age requirements for the Marine Corps. I've been trying to find the answer online but I haven't been able to find a clear cut answer if there is any age requirements.

Drew330: I dont have any info on age requirements, so I cannot advise you on that one... If the OSO in your area is not willing to do your paperwork, you can (1) obtain the necessary paperwork from him and do it yourself, or try to locate an OSO in a neighboring area that is willing to help you. (BTW, the comment regarding prior OCS attempts was for gwladgarwr) It would appear that you should have a relatively good chance to get back in, just keep at it. If I had simply accepted the decision by a recruiter in 1976 when I tried to reenlist after being out for 4 years, I would never have been "Old Top", and never been able to retire from the Corps with almost 34 total years of service. To get back in, I had to do all of my own paperwork and waiver request, submit it to HQMC and wait for the answer. The entire process took about 6 weeks, but my request WAS granted. Good Luck
    Semper Fi

Thanks Top. I'm pushing...really hard to find someone willing to help. You have been the most help to me so far. I e-mailed Marine Reserve HQ about the age requirements for interservice transfers to see if I can get a straight answers. None of the ALMAR's I have read gave any indication of age restrictions. So, I'm hopeful. But, depending on a few feelers I have out there I'm waiting for their responses. I know the Marine is hurting for Junior Grade Officers in the Marine Corps Reserve.

My younger brother is a Staff Sergeant so I have him working a few angles to see what he can find out for me. My brother is amazed b/c I have good judgement when it comes to the Marine Corps. We get into these decussions about the Marine Corps and their needs and I'm dead on all the time. I told my brother after 9/11 that Marine Corps is Going to have to lean more toward SOC in coming years. What happens Marine combines Recon into MARSOC. After I graduated college I told him because of the age restrictions they place on incoming officers, plus the statics say 66% of the Marine Corps is under 25 years old, average career Officer is 11 years, and the strained placed on the Marine Corps they are going to be in need of Junior Grade officers. The article recent published by the Marine Reservice website indicates they are in need of officers. I think in 1-2 years in general the Marines are going to need active duty officers as well. I know if I get the chance for OCS I'll make make it. I have too, milk money.

Thanks again

Thanks Top. I'm pushing...really hard to find someone willing to help. You have been the most help to me so far. I e-mailed Marine Reserve HQ about the age requirements for interservice transfers to see if I can get a straight answers. None of the ALMAR's I have read gave any indication of age restrictions. So, I'm hopeful. But, depending on a few feelers I have out there I'm waiting for their responses. I know the Marine is hurting for Junior Grade Officers in the Marine Corps Reserve.

My younger brother is a Staff Sergeant so I have him working a few angles to see what he can find out for me. My brother is amazed b/c I have good judgement when it comes to the Marine Corps. We get into these decussions about the Marine Corps and their needs and I'm dead on all the time. I told my brother after 9/11 that Marine Corps is Going to have to lean more toward SOC in coming years. What happens Marine combines Recon into MARSOC. After I graduated college I told him because of the age restrictions they place on incoming officers, plus the statics say 66% of the Marine Corps is under 25 years old, average career Officer is 11 years, and the strained placed on the Marine Corps they are going to be in need of Junior Grade officers. The article recent published by the Marine Reservice website indicates they are in need of officers. I think in 1-2 years in general the Marines are going to need active duty officers as well. I know if I get the chance for OCS I'll make make it. I have too, milk money.

Thanks again

Thanks again

Thread Information