Question about PT night at recruiter's office. - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Ya dude I understand you being nervous....alot of things you'll do will make you nervous, you just gotta suck it up and do them anyAnyways. I'm exactly like you, I'm still nervous going to the PT's. But it turned out to be actually really cool when I went. I'm not sure if by your clumsy, you meant that your scores aren't so good, but mine aren't either. As for self-confidence, you'll gain it. I ran my first mile and a half ever next to the guy who recruited me and halfway through I kept slowing down to walk and he kept yelling at me to stop being a pu$$y and I just kept screaming back I don't give a **** I am a pu$$y. Obviously that wasn't smart to say, but we're really good friends now and he calls me from Okinawa Japan (where he's stationed) now. Anyways long story short. I was nervous about PT nights, but just do your best, being nervous around the other Marines/poolees actually helped my scores. The benefits are def worth it

Quote Originally Posted by PerXes
    Being scared or nervous doesn't make you a pussy. Great men are the ones who overcome their apprehensions and do what is necessary.
    Well said. Rise above that fear and you'll be better for it. Because if you think you're scared know.... boot, with its drill instructors and their fun games, still looms on the horizon.

Don't be worried!!! We played football for hours and it was a riot! Of course we ran, did crunches, and pull ups first! It helps being around the recruiters and other poolees moto helps.

Well thanks for the motivating posts everyone, however, I am afraid I am not able to go to the PT night tonight. Although I do have a legitimate reason (or what I think is one anyway). I found out that the recruiter at my local recruiter's office has been screwing people over. I already knew he tried to screw my friend over but I though it was an isolated incidend. However, today I talked to another friend of mine and he mentioned that he knew a few people that that particular recruiter had tried to screw over, although I'm not exactly sure how. Now I wouldn't blame you if you don't believe me because I probably wouldn't either but what can I say. Anyways I am going to get the number of a different recruiter to call instead, and then, I promise you, I will go down there and PT my f****** heart out.

Here you go! Maybe this is more suited for you than a little bit of running with your recruiter!! I mean, I know it's hard and stuff to run in a laxed environment like poolee night.

(I got the flowers and the teddy bears in one!)

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HurricaneRJ
    Try being 250 lbs. It's not easy and if that disgust you just wait.

My brother lost 50lbs in the Infantry OSUT at Ft. Benning and he can't do a single pull-up. He weighs 205lbs, but aced the Army PFT.

I'm working on the crunches and Pull-ups.
    Don't base anything on Army standards. I went to an Army school while in the Marines and we had to run the Army PT test as a grad requirement. The five Marines did the 1.5 mile run backwards. We got a solid pass and still beat at least half of the Army guys in the class.

The five Green Berets in our class wanted to run backwards with us, but being Army, the PT score was important to their record so they had to do their best. They were the top five finishers running forward.

I know its two totally different things.

Push-Ups - Pull-ups
    Situps - Crunches
    2 Miles - 3 Miles.

When my cousin graduated OCS at Benning, an ABN class was rolling along and all the Marines were in front and in step. The Army had a seperate formation all dragging along.

I won't say the Army is not as a physical demanding force like the Marines, but there are a few PT nuts out here.

I only run the Army PFT, only when my brother wants to do some PT.

I do an IST everyweekend.

Quote Originally Posted by SamJohnston
    Well thanks for the motivating posts everyone, however, I am afraid I am not able to go to the PT night tonight. Although I do have a legitimate reason (or what I think is one anyway). I found out that the recruiter at my local recruiter's office has been screwing people over. I already knew he tried to screw my friend over but I though it was an isolated incidend. However, today I talked to another friend of mine and he mentioned that he knew a few people that that particular recruiter had tried to screw over, although I'm not exactly sure how. Now I wouldn't blame you if you don't believe me because I probably wouldn't either but what can I say. Anyways I am going to get the number of a different recruiter to call instead, and then, I promise you, I will go down there and PT my f****** heart out.
    How do YOU know that he is screwing people? Maybe little "jimmy" didn't get what he wanted because of his background or didn't score well enough. In turn he didn't qualify for something, hence his recruiter "screwing" him. Why don't you just man up and go? I mean really whats the worst he can do at a poolee function? If you're not liking what hes giving then go somewhere else by all means, but you aren't giving the guy a chance. See for yourself!!

I was nervous the first time I went to PT at the RSS. I got over it, went to PT and got totally destroyed. That was a over a year ago. I kept going and kept getting destroyed, but every time it gets a little easier. Never gets easy just gets easier. lol. My recruiter has a goal, making everyone that is PTing break and die, no matter what shape you are in. It works though, my 1.5 mile is 9:19, 21 pullups, and 140 crunches, started at 6 pullups, 64 crunches, and like a 11:20 1.5 mile. The stupid thing is that my 3 mile is 19:37, still need that to get down and it is really ****ing me off, running every day, Im getting down there.

Question:

Is it a bad idea to leave your recruiter for another? What I mean is, will the recruiter you left try to make life hell for you? Will you have to redo MEPS? I only ask because I really like my recruiter and respect him but he is just not returning my phone calls or doing much to help me at the moment. I know he's a busy guy but its frustrating when every morning I call him and here "I'll call ya right back" and never recieve a phone call. It makes me feel like I am up his ass having to call him all day long while getting no answer. Just curious.

Well the story my friend told me is that he tried to get him to sign his enlistment contract by telling him it was something else. When my friend read it before he signed and mentioned that it was his enlistment contract, the recruiter told him it was okay and that if he signed it now he would disregard it and not hold him to it until he was ready. Now I realize that this may just be a misunderstanding but I doubt that because I have heard that he had tried to screw other people over as well. Don't get me wrong though, he is still a Marine and I still have a ton of respect for him, I just don't want to get in too deep and then find out that he really is screwing people over because by then it will be much harder to swich recruiters because I will feel like a huge d*ck telling him I found another recruiter who is better than him because thats pretty much like telling him to go f*** himself, and I would never, ever say that to a Marine, even if he did try to screw me over.

Every morning recruiters have to pick a book of a local high school they're assigned to and make alot of phone calls or there in a meeting discussing something. They have to make appointments, they have to recruit new people, by 1100 they're out the door going somewhere trying to recruit. Its a very busy job, around in the afternoon when school is out they report back to the RSS or PCS and give numbers to the guy in the back room who never comes out and who you never see.

My recruiters are all friendly, I goto the gym with two of them and the other two are real cool people, they're not *******s either. If you visit they won't mind talking. I keep my ass up there just to bide the time before going to the gym.

I don't advise you leave your recruiter, his job is to get you in and thats it. If you quit on him because he dosen't return your phone calls, then how are you going to like it when your SDI will make you play Nascar around the squad bay?

Just concentrate on PT and if you have questions, just go up there and talk, its the best way to get information.

Why don't you just PT every day by yourself rather than only going one night at the recruiting office? I find I always get a better workout when I do my own thing anyway, personally.

Him not returning phone calls is seriously not the only reason.. its way more complicated than that and I honestly do not want to leave my recruiter.. I think he is a cool guy and I have nothing but respect for him. I do not plan on leaving him. I am still not sworn in yet tho and everyday that goes by without any answers or direction feels like a waste. If I can I will ship the same night I swear in. I have been trying to get this done for months now and I just want answers thats all. I know he is busy but I also know it is his job to keep his recruits motivated and up to date on their position. I'm not trying to sound like a ass here but shouldn't I be a part of his busy day? Or should I just be left hanging for days at a time because he knows I am determined to become a Marine and I'm not going anywhere?

Quote Originally Posted by SamJohnston
    Well the story my friend told me is that he tried to get him to sign his enlistment contract by telling him it was something else. When my friend read it before he signed and mentioned that it was his enlistment contract, the recruiter told him it was okay and that if he signed it now he would disregard it and not hold him to it until he was ready. Now I realize that this may just be a misunderstanding but I doubt that because I have heard that he had tried to screw other people over as well. Don't get me wrong though, he is still a Marine and I still have a ton of respect for him, I just don't want to get in too deep and then find out that he really is screwing people over because by then it will be much harder to swich recruiters because I will feel like a huge d*ck telling him I found another recruiter who is better than him because thats pretty much like telling him to go f*** himself, and I would never, ever say that to a Marine, even if he did try to screw me over.
    Give him a chance with you. Be sharp, tell him to explain every detail and what exactly is entailed. Tell him to SHOW you! If you have a problem work up the chain of command!

Thread Information