Posted: 4/12/07
Marine goes back to Iraq for fourth tour of duty

By Dawn Slade
Mille Lacs County Times

Dean Beutz is headed to war - again. In June, he will begin his fourth deployment to Iraq.

Beutz, a 1992 graduate of Milaca High School, is a Gunnery Sergeant with the Charlie Battery 1st Battalion 11th Marines, stationed at Camp Pendleton, Calif.

The Gunnery Sergeant joined the Marines because he was told he couldn’t do it.

After 15 years, he’s long since proved them wrong.

Beutz said he stays in the military because, “I’m part of something bigger. I will stay as long as my corps needs me.”

The veteran soldier cannot discuss his prior duties in Iraq other than to say he was involved in the capture of insurgent leaders.

In California, Beutz is responsible for training the trainer in weapons and tactics.

“I train the NCOs [non-commissioned officers] in what they need to know to train the troops,” Beutz said.

He teaches soldiers not only how to fire their weapons, but how to assemble and disassemble the weapon until it becomes rote.

“Repetition, repetition, repetition,” Beutz said. “So, when they’re in the thick of it...it needs to be memory.”

Instruction also includes the ability to clear a weapon jam.

He is the unit’s expert in weapons and tactics and is responsible for the logistics that pertain to his unit.

With his military career, Beutz has traveled the globe - from Hawaii to Australia to the Persian Gulf.

Although he isn’t sure he’ll get time before he leaves for Iraq, he’s hoping to return to his hometown. His parents, Jim and Joann Beutz, reside in Foreston.

The Marine has two stepdaughters, but divorced after his third tour in Iraq.

“This war has taken my wife from me and my family,” Beutz said. “I’m not the only one. Families are getting ruined because of this war.”

But, the soldier admits he’s happier now than he’s ever been.

Having been to Iraq three times already, Beutz has seen some improvements.

“I’ve seen the people have warmed their way to trusting us,” he said.

But, he still sees insurgents paying off families and children.

“Just like Vietnam,” he added. “It’s still a big issue.”

As for the war itself, Beutz said, “Our mission is complete. A lot of Marines, soldiers, airmen are dying for no reason. Let them fight their own battle.”

Yet, Beutz believes there is still the mission of protecting the United States from another terrorist attack.

“Are we doing justice? Yes, we are. Do we have a mission? Yes, we do. To make sure 9/11 doesn’t happen again. I think we need a presence there, but not like now.”

Time in the Corps

Beutz joined the service shortly after graduating high school. He served in Okinawa, Japan and served as a Non Commissioned Officer In Charge at the Military Operations Urban Terrain facility.

In 1999, he became a drill instructor and was promoted to Staff Sergeant in 2000. He has served as a Section Chief and Platoon Sergeant and currently serves as the Battery Gunnery Sergeant.

The 33-year-old is prepared for his fourth tour, which is likely to last seven to nine months. His team will be replacing a National Guard unit.

And even though he knows where he’ll be stationed in Iraq, he’s not at liberty to share that information.

“I know what to expect over there,” Beutz said. “A lot of these young kids, they’re about to get introduced.”

Beutz read a Times article online about another soldier and posted a comment that said, in part, “I just want to say to the people of Milaca that we all appreciate the support that you provide to us when we are away from our families.

“Family is the most important thing to a serviceman while away from family and friends. Keep doing what your doing. It is greatly loved.”

Like many soldiers, Beutz advises people not listen to what they hear on the news. The soldiers watch television while in Iraq, but mostly to keep up on current events, he said.

When asked what civilians could do for the soldiers, he said simply, “Pray for us.”

“Don’t give up hope. We’re doing a job. We’re not the bad guys. We appreciate your support, appreciation and respect.” Then added, “We don’t ask for thanks. We get paid to do this job.”

And he definitely loves his job.

Beutz recently reenlisted for another four years. In five years, he’ll be able to retire after 20 years of service.

“My pride for the Marine Corps is that I get to defend my country,” Beutz said. “I take a lot of pride in what I do. To quote Ronald Reagan, ‘Most people spend a lifetime wondering if they’ve made a difference. Marines don’t have to worry about that.’”

Ellie