A Few Words About Gun Control
Create Post
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

A Few Words About Gun Control

A FEW WORDS ABOUT GUN CONTROL
    By Edward L. Daley
    April 18, 2007

It was only a matter of time before anti-gun nuts all over the country started calling for stiffer gun control measures in the wake of the recent Virginia Tech massacre. If there's one thing leftists are, it's predictable. If there's another thing they are, it's staggeringly foolish.

Yeah, we need more firearm restrictions because some nutbag went on a shooting spree on a college campus where nobody but criminals and psychopaths could have been expected to be packing iron. As it turns out, it wasn't so much a "gun-free" zone as it was a self-defense-free zone.

I know I'll be getting a slew of scornful emails over this article, but frankly, I don't give a sweet damn. Disparage me all you want, but keep in mind that if someone who thinks as I do had been in charge of that university prior to the 16th of April, the chances are good that one of those victims, or at least one of the people nearby who managed to avoid being shot, would have had a gun of his own with which to fend off the attack of Cho Seung-Hui. Instead, every student and professor there had little alternative but to run away or cower in fear as the 23-year-old South Korean took his time executing everyone who crossed his path.

Don't try to make people like John Kerry or Hillary Clinton appreciate the basic logic behind that statement, though. Common sense is as alien to liberal Democrats these days as the term 'safe sex' is to Sub-Saharan Africans. As usual, whenever somebody murders a bunch of innocent people in cold blood, the first thing leftists try to do is disarm everyone who didn't do it.

BRILLIANT!

Maybe next these mental giants will decide to ban writing utensils in elementary schools for the purpose of curbing incidents of poor grammar and misspelled words on homework papers.

Quick, somebody take Rosie O'Donnell's fork away from her before she eats herself to death!

I swear, if I hear one more jabbering nitwit say that the horrific events of Monday last never would have happened if owning handguns were against the law, I'm gonna go on a rampage of my own, swatting every liberal I can find across the head with a rolled-up copy of 'Guns & Ammo'!

If you really want to talk about effective gun control, I'm perfectly willing to discuss the issue. As a matter of fact, I'm all for it! I think every adult who isn't a convicted felon should practice gun control on a regular basis. With a little practice, there aren't too many folks out there who wouldn't be capable of controlling a gun well enough to drop a scumbag like Cho Seung-Hui from 50 yards away with a single shot!

-30-

AMEN!

Thanks, Top, Well Said

Just to let you know your thoughts are much appreciated. Gary Hall, Tyler, TX

Here Here. I agree with you all the way

Credits
    Savings
    I believe in a well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

That is, unless you kill me

Thank you for the article It still seems logical to me that when you prevent (by oppressive laws) people from owning and carrying guns, then the only ones who have them will be crazies, criminals, and terrorists.

The old saying is still true: People kill people, not the weapons. That being said if one the students or professors had been carrying, the killer would have probably been stopped sooner.

Amen brother, amen!

Affirmative fontman !!

OK I am gonna pizzzzzzzzzz some people off give me one good reason why any person needs a assault rifle other than Law enforcement or Military personnel. And dont give me no lame arse reason for hunting cause that aint flyin with me. I have killed alot of deer and other animals with a bolt action 308 or 06 my entire life..

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by semperfi170
    Thank you for the article It still seems logical to me that when you prevent (by oppressive laws) people from owning and carrying guns, then the only ones who have them will be crazies, criminals, and terrorists.

The old saying is still true: People kill people, not the weapons. That being said if one the students or professors had been carrying, the killer would have probably been stopped sooner.
    I couldn't have said it better!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hrscowboy
    OK I am gonna pizzzzzzzzzz some people off give me one good reason why any person needs a assault rifle other than Law enforcement or Military personnel. And dont give me no lame arse reason for hunting cause that aint flyin with me. I have killed alot of deer and other animals with a bolt action 308 or 06 my entire life..
    I can't wait to read the responses to this point!

Outside of Nashville, TN. Work in FOB Louisville
    Credits
    Savings

Effective Gun Control

As usual, whenever somebody murders a bunch of innocent people in cold blood, the first thing leftists try to do is disarm everyone who didn't do it.
    Copied from an article on AOL this morning.
    I've said for years, that this was a little town with open eyes, rational thought, and EFFECTIVE gun legislation.

http://news.aol.com/topnews/articles...00010000000001

Updated:2007-04-18 23:45:25
    U.S. Town Requires Residents to Own Guns
    By Matthew Bigg
    Reuters
    KENNESAW, Georgia (April 18) - The Virginia Tech killings have set off calls for tighter U.S. gun laws but anyone wanting to know why those demands likely will make little headway should visit Kennesaw, a town where owning a gun is both popular and mandatory.

The town north of Atlanta had little prominence until it passed a gun ordinance in 1982 that required all heads of a household to own a firearm and ammunition.

Kennesaw's law was a response to Morton Grove, Illinois, which had passed a gun ban earlier that year as a step to reduce crime.

But it also was an affirmation of what gun advocates say is a blanket U.S. constitutional right, under the Second Amendment, for citizens to keep and bear arms. Gun opponents challenge that right and say the language in the Constitution is open to interpretation.

The Kennesaw law has endured as the town's population has swelled to about 30,000 from 5,000 in 1982.

"When the law was passed in 1982 there was a substantial drop in crime ... and we have maintained a really low crime rate since then," said police Lt. Craig Graydon. "We are sure it is one of the lowest (crime) towns in the metro area.

Residents say they are comfortable with the image the gun law projects on the city as a bastion of gun freedom.

"There's been no move to get rid of the law . Why would you?" said Robert Jones, president of the Kennesaw Historical Society. "The law is a great tourist attraction. It's the town with the Gun Law .

"People in Europe feel they need to be protected by the government. People in the U.S. feel they need to be protected from the government," said Jones, the owner of a .357-caliber Magnum.

FAMILY TRADITION

Many U.S. citizens see gun ownership as an essential freedom on a par with free speech and the view is particularly strong in rural areas and the South where sport hunting is often a family tradition.

In a bid to expand gun rights, a bill was introduced in Georgia's state legislature to allow individuals with no criminal record or history of mental illness to conceal a weapon in their car.

The state Senate adjourned debate on the bill on Tuesday, fearing it would send the wrong message in the wake of the Virginia rampage.

Dent "Wildman" Myers, 76, styles himself as a keeper of the flame when it comes to Kennesaw's gun ordinance. His downtown shop contains a cornucopia of artifacts, including old uniforms and dozens of flags of the Confederacy that fought the Union in part in defense of slavery in the Civil War. At the back is a Ku Klux Klan outfit with a noose and a hood.

There also are posters praising defenders of the white race, White Power CDs and a sign that reads: "No Dogs Allowed, No Negroes, No Mexicans." Someone had crossed out the first part of the sign and added "Dogs Allowed."

Myers said he wanted to protect the values that made the town and the South distinct from other parts of the United States.

GUNS AS TOOLS

"They destroyed anything historic and replaced it with the PC (politically correct) stuff. It's become a cookie cutter town," Myers said, his hands resting lightly on two .45-caliber guns at his hips. He said he considered his guns to be tools, much like a rake or a shovel.

Since the Virginia Tech shootings, some conservative U.S. talk radio hosts have rejected attempts to link the massacre to the availability of guns, arguing that had students been allowed to carry weapons on campus someone might have been able to shoot the killer.

Without guns the students of Virginia Tech were "26,000 sitting ducks," said Chris Krok of Atlanta 's WSB radio in a view echoed by many residents of Kennesaw.

When the town's gun law was passed, about 70 percent of households likely owned a gun , Graydon said. But Atlanta commuters have since swelled the town's population and gun ownership now is about 50 percent.

An amendment to the gun ownership law grants exceptions to convicted felons, conscientious objectors and those who cannot afford a gun . No one has ever been prosecuted for failure to own a firearm, Graydon said.

The law may deter criminals but proactive policing and close police liaison with community and business groups were the main reasons why crime has stayed low, he said.

Some residents said they found the law objectionable or silly and simply ignored it.

But Linda Warman, who works in a Kennesaw shop, said she lived alone and was taking no chances.

"I wouldn't hesitate to use it," she said of the gun she keeps loaded with hollow-point bullets. "My little .22. It'll do whatever I want it to."

Terry

Come on you guys where is my responses

If your son or daughter had been in one of those classrooms at VT, would you, as a loving parent, rather have them cowering under a desk waiting to be executed, or legally armed and capable of saving themself and others?

Can't wait to hear someone with a "Dukakis" response to this question...

Credits
    Savings

Exclamation No one is going to take my guns from me without a fight

Quote Originally Posted by hrscowboy
    Come on you guys where is my responses
    hrscowboyOK I am gonna pizzzzzzzzzz some people off give me one good reason why any person needs a assault rifle other than Law enforcement or Military personnel. And dont give me no lame arse reason for hunting cause that aint flyin with me. I have killed alot of deer and other animals with a bolt action 308 or 06 my entire life..

About one in four U.S. Marines would be willing to fire upon American citizens in a government gun confiscation program, according to the results of a survey undertaken nearly a year ago at a Marine Corps base in southern California. http://www.ssrsi.org/os1/BBStext/shootus.htm

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    10Z, this "survey" was done in 1994 and the article you linked is dated 1995. Without reading the actual survey instrument I can't give an informed opinion as to it's validity. In any event, it is old and more recent events will have affected the data. You've cited this survey previously and I've brought up these same objections.

I also don't know how the instrument was administered. If a uniformed Navy commander suddenly shows up and starts telling groups of Marines to fill out his form, I would call that a serious case of sampling bias.

Also not broken down, either intentionally by the article author or not sampled by the investigator, were the ranks of the Marines willing to confiscate firearms and the ranks of those not willing to do so. This is an important factor is this kind of survey. If the majority of the willing to confiscate guns or swear allegience to the UN were non-rates, but the majority of the un-willing were NCOs, SNCOs, and officers, what does this survey really mean?

Nothing except he was trying to get his master's degree.

Thread Information