Rumors! - Page 4
Create Post
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Rumors!

Marine84, thanks for laughing at my post. I dont see why its wrong to set up the dates to where it would be possible that my 10 day leave would be on my anniversary. If I get hurt and am in boot longer than so be it but if I run the usual 13 weeks than I should be done 10 Oct, according to the schedule. Why would the Master Sgt, come to me and tell me that boot was getting shortened by a week? I never asked him about it. He could be misinformed but it does not make me wrong to post the information in this post. Thanks.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by firebrick
    Marine84, thanks for laughing at my post. I dont see why its wrong to set up the dates to where it would be possible that my 10 day leave would be on my anniversary. If I get hurt and am in boot longer than so be it but if I run the usual 13 weeks than I should be done 10 Oct, according to the schedule. Why would the Master Sgt, come to me and tell me that boot was getting shortened by a week? I never asked him about it. He could be misinformed but it does not make me wrong to post the information in this post. Thanks.
    Why Indeed?

As I've said, I have heard boot camp was going to be shorter for YEARS! I have heard that from fellow recruits when I was at MCRD, I heard it from NCO's in the fleet, i heard it from SNCOs, and once from a Major. Of course, it never changed. Until the graduation dates on the website change or you are told by your recruiter that you ship on X day and return on Y day, and those are shorter by a week, just assume that everyone is full of crap and that it is going to be the same length.

My Outlook to this situation is that, i believe bootcamp should be the entire 13 weeks. Why should new recruits deserve to get it easier? I'm a poolee and I want to become a Marine the same way everyone else has. I don't care if I get Dress Blues or not! My goal is to become a Marine, any Marine uniform will show who I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four_Bravo
    As I've said, I have heard boot camp was going to be shorter for YEARS! I have heard that from fellow recruits when I was at MCRD, I heard it from NCO's in the fleet, i heard it from SNCOs, and once from a Major. Of course, it never changed. Until the graduation dates on the website change or you are told by your recruiter that you ship on X day and return on Y day, and those are shorter by a week, just assume that everyone is full of crap and that it is going to be the same length.
    OK, here's what I (as an attendee at the 1stSgt/MSgt regional seminar last month) was BRIEFED on by the SgtMaj of TCOM (Training COMmand/SgtMaj Knox at the time). One of the options being considered at TCOM and higher is shortening recruit training by a week and giving that week to SOI (ITB/MCT) in order to enhance the Marines' tactical training. The thought process is that the SOIs (East and West) are much better suited to teach the tactical side of the house than the Depots. As of mid-March, no decision had been made either way on what would take place. Suffice it to say that the entry-level training time WILL NOT change, it'll just be redirected if this option is implemented, seeing as how EVERY Marine goes through either MCT or ITB upon completion of recruit training. You'd just be getting one less week of training as a recruit and one more week of training as a brand new Marine.

Bottom line, though, is that as of mid-March, any changes to recruit training were still in the proposal/staffing phase. Haven't heard anything more since then other than this thread and another thread regarding the same topic on here about a month ago that I also responded to.

S/F

MSgt, thanks for passing on the correct information. If there were changes to boot camp that is what I would have expected. People around here like to think team week will be eliminated- but we know that isn't a possibility. Those jobs have to be done and they aren't going to redirect Marines to do things Recruits should be doing.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MSgtSki
    OK, here's what I (as an attendee at the 1stSgt/MSgt regional seminar last month) was BRIEFED on by the SgtMaj of TCOM (Training COMmand/SgtMaj Knox at the time). One of the options being considered at TCOM and higher is shortening recruit training by a week and giving that week to SOI (ITB/MCT) in order to enhance the Marines' tactical training. The thought process is that the SOIs (East and West) are much better suited to teach the tactical side of the house than the Depots. As of mid-March, no decision had been made either way on what would take place. Suffice it to say that the entry-level training time WILL NOT change, it'll just be redirected if this option is implemented, seeing as how EVERY Marine goes through either MCT or ITB upon completion of recruit training. You'd just be getting one less week of training as a recruit and one more week of training as a brand new Marine.

Bottom line, though, is that as of mid-March, any changes to recruit training were still in the proposal/staffing phase. Haven't heard anything more since then other than this thread and another thread regarding the same topic on here about a month ago that I also responded to.

S/F

Thank you TOP, I highlighted the key phrases in your post!

Come on Poolees, lets hear some more!

I guess things have changed. I remember when my brother graduated in PI in 1990. I was only about 4 1/2, but I do remember him graduating in his Dress Blues and I have also seen pictures of his graduation afterwards. I brought this topic up to him and he was very surprised when I told him that you no longer graduate in your Blues. Either way, as long as I am able to leave there with mine, than that is all that matters to me.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Its acualy oct12 I have the same ship date and I went to mcrdsd site and check out my grad date and its oct 12

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan629
    I guess things have changed. I remember when my brother graduated in PI in 1990. I was only about 4 1/2, but I do remember him graduating in his Dress Blues and I have also seen pictures of his graduation afterwards. I brought this topic up to him and he was very surprised when I told him that you no longer graduate in your Blues. Either way, as long as I am able to leave there with mine, than that is all that matters to me.
    Please post that picture, of his platoon, right? All in Blues? We've got to see it!

What exactly goes on during team week?

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ItzAlex
    What exactly goes on during team week?
    Back in the day, we called it MESS AND MAINTAINANCE week!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Do you know how many Marines were told one thing by a Recruiter only to find out something different when you got past the gate? And the first thing that comes out of their mouthes is "well, my Recruiter told me..........." or "that's not what my Recruiter told me". It really was funny to read! MY Recruiter told me that I would be sitting in some big General's office, battin' my big pretty brown eyes and getting anything I wanted for the next four years. I got my first set of orders in bootcamp saying I was going to Millington, TN to be trained in Aviation Ordnance Armament Repair - my first thought and I even voiced it after I asked what Ordnance was..............................yep, you guessed it "THAT'S NOT WHAT MY RECRUITER TOLD ME" - this guy busted his gut laughing at me! Don't get me wrong, I'm NOT saying ALL Recruiters do it that way - there ARE some good ones out there. Maybe they're up to using "bootcamp will be shorter" as a recruiting tool? Who knows?

And, I'm being dead serious about train your wife early. Once you sign that contract you sign your rights AND your LIFE over to the Corps for 4 years (or however long you enlist for) - you'll be lucky if you get to keep any personal plans for that long.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Shame on you Kim! You almost took my wind away from my sails!

I know back in June of 89 We didnt get issued Blues. If you dont get them suck it up and move on. You will more than likely get a chance to purchase them at a later date. As for rumors haha those things fly around like condoms on an aircraft carrier, you will find out how long boot camp is when you get there.

Cantrell

Thread Information