Being dropped
Create Post

Thread: Being dropped

Being dropped

So I have left quit a few posts about having stress fractures or leg problems and what I should do about them on this websit. All I ever hear is it will most likely hurt your chances of making it throught recruit training with stress fractures. Although my question is how do you get dropped. I mean like do the DI's just look at your condition and say "your out" or is it just that the recruits cant take the work out. It just intreges me on how they get kicked out....like what gets them kicked out? Im not to sure if I worded this right so if you have any questions just let me know....but otherwise and response would be awesome

Credits
    Savings
    Images

bigfoot1188,

You have had several answers to your questions. I am not sure whay you can't read them.

Good luck and here is thelink within this forum.

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=44119

Let us know if this is not what you are looking for. The Marines that responded to you were very to the point.

For your condition, chances are you physically would not be able to continue, would go to medical, and they would send you to MRP. If it became obvious that you were having problems, the DI may send you to medical so they could drop you.

Here's how it happened to a guy when I was in boot camp...
    Even though the guy ran about a thousand miles a day before boot camp, he had never experienced running like we do in boot camp. Coupled with that fact, he had never run in boots and utes either, and the combined stresses on his shins and feet proved to be too much to handle. He went to sickbay, got diagnosed with stress fractures, and we never saw him again. That is a very serious condition, and you will NOT be able to "work through it." Get this condition addressed BEFORE you attempt to go to boot camp or you will just end up as some guy with bad bones and a shaved head.

After reading the thread linked above about stress fractures, It dawned on me that I do not know what one is. Does any one want to explain what it is. I would like to avoid it since it does sound like it will mess you up before shipping and also while your in bootcamp.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Here's what webmd has to say:

Stress Fractures
    Stress fractures can be caused by such things as over training, a shortage of calcium, or by some basic biomechanical flaw -- either in your running style in or your body structure, says sports podiatrist Stephen Pribut, DPM, clinical assistant professor of surgery at the George Washington University Medical Center in Washington, D.C. Common stress fractures in runners occur in the tibia (the inner and larger bone of the leg below the knee), the femur (thigh bone) and in the sacrum (triangular bone at the base of the spine) and the metatarsal (toe) bones in the foot.
    "The more the miles, the greater the stress," says Maharam. And this is one injury you should not ignore. "Stress fractures are like a hardboiled egg," he explains. "The shell is cracked and next stop is a full-fledged fracture." See a doctor who specializes in treating running injuries, Maharam advises. "We only tell runners to stop when they have a fracture or a stress fracture and then we put them in a pool for water running because stopping exercise is unacceptable to (most) runners."

What Is a Stress Fracture?

Stress fractures are some of the most common sports injuries. They are tiny breaks in the bone, usually caused by repetitive stress from activities like running. Although they can be quite painful, they usually heal themselves if rested for a few months.
    Many different sports raise the risk of stress fractures. Activities that require running and jumping may cause fractures in the legs or feet. More than half of all adult and adolescent stress fractures occur in the lower leg bones. 25% of adult fractures are in the metatarsal bones of the feet (the middle bones).
    Other sports that require repetitive movements -- like pitching or rowing -- can result in stress fractures in other parts of the body.
    Stress fractures are much more likely to develop in people who have just started a new exercise or abruptly stepped up the intensity of their work out. When the muscles aren’t conditioned, they tire easily and can’t support and cushion the bones as well. Increased pressure is exerted directly on the bones, which can lead to a fracture.
    Stress fractures seem to be more common in women, especially in women who do not have regular menstrual cycles. A reduction in estrogen can cause osteoporosis, or weakening of the bones. Teenagers may also be at higher risk, since their bones aren’t fully hardened.
    Any anatomical abnormalities -- like fallen arches -- can distribute stress unequally through the feet and legs. This raises the risk of stress fractures. So can poor-quality equipment, like worn-out running shoes.
    Unfortunately, stress fractures tend to recur. About 60% of people who have a stress fracture have also had one previously.

Prevention

Stress fractures commonly develop in people who have just dramatically increased their level of physical activity. So take it slowly. Experts recommend that you never increase your exercise intensity by more than 10% per week. Make sure to warm up and stretch for a few minutes before exercising. Take frequent breaks to give your body a rest. And if you feel pain during exercise, stop. Don’t push through it.
    Also, make sure that you’re using good equipment. Don’t wear worn out running shoes. People who have fallen arches or other anatomical problems may benefit from custom orthotics or arch supports in their shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Marine84
    Here's what webmd has to say:

Prevention

Stress fractures commonly develop in people who have just dramatically increased their level of physical activity. So take it slowly. Experts recommend that you never increase your exercise intensity by more than 10% per week. Make sure to warm up and stretch for a few minutes before exercising. Take frequent breaks to give your body a rest. And if you feel pain during exercise, stop. Don’t push through it.
    Also, make sure that you’re using good equipment. Don’t wear worn out running shoes. People who have fallen arches or other anatomical problems may benefit from custom orthotics or arch supports in their shoes.

I'll be sure to let my Drill Instructor know that.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    If you think you may have one, get it looked and and don't mess around. I'm sure your Recruiter isn't dishing out more than you can take - you're being tested already because you're a girl. It's going to hurt every time you run - hell, later in life there will be a lot of things that will start to hurt ALL the time - don't give in and NEVER give up.

When you're older you'll be able to take pills for it.

Alright thanks for the info. Ya I can not say I have ever had any, I'll call myself fortunate.

Thread Information