Basic training gone soft? - Page 6
Create Post
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    Did Army bootcamp at Ft Ord in 1957, had a good time much like a picnic was a lot of fun. When I joined the Marine Corps and went to Dego a whole new ball game no fun to be had. Never should have told the DI that I had been in the army he never let me forget it in his gental way. Had to bark like a dog for him every day, until the last day when he gave me my Globe and called me a Marine said he would kick my @ss if I ever barked again. Sgt Abeta you don't have to look me up I have never barked again. The Corps made me who I am today. Retired Chief of Police, former Mayor and now High School Teacher. Thanks for good Marine Corp boot camp.

when were you on the rock ? i was in and out of sukeran with the 12th marines mar. 62 to may 63. i dont remember which airborne unit was there then . but i thought it was the 82nd i could be wrong. they seemed ok

Army Strong Grammatically Weak

"Sgt. 1st Class Mike Behkendorf went through basic training at Fort Leonard Wood, Mo., in 1996, and said he remembers arriving at his unit packed into a cattle car with the other new soldiers."

This guy made the equivalent of Gunnery Sergeant in less than 11 years??

is this guy just hot stuff or does the Army promote fast? Anybody (an unbiased answer please)

Quote Originally Posted by RLeon
    Wow, your right...I never realized that. Dang, what a bunch of chumps the Marines are, stressing discipline, when all along they could have lowered their standards and still have elite outfits like the Army...gee I wasted my time, I should have just joined the Army...

Seriousy, yes the Army has elite units and the Corps pogues, but our pogues are tougher and more disciplined than their pogues...
    I've seen Marines who run 30 minute 3 miles and can't do 2 pullups

they exist in every branch or service.

And those Marines should look for the nearest exit, but I've seen them as well.

And the army does promote some MOS's faster than others, just like we do.

When I was In Iraq our platoon set up a platoon sized patrol base. We established and maintained this patrol base for about four months. About a month before we were to head back to the states we had started turning over the PB to the army. After we left we found out that the patrol base had been overan by insurgents... We had three other patrol bases throughout our Batallion like ours and all within 1 month were overan because the army was to scared to sling some F**king lead.

Not a surprise, really. The army discourages independent thought, reason, and action. Soldiers are micromanaged to the nth degree, most can't even walk across the street without an order from an "E-7" or above. Poorly trained, generally poorly led, and lack of motivation all take a toll.

Now, that doesn't hold true in all units to be sure. Delta, the Rangers, SF, are the general exceptions to that rule. But, for the most part, from what I've seen and experienced in my dealings with the army on a daily basis (thank god, as a civilian), they are more an "army of one" than "strong", unless you count the gym rats that is.

bailesrj

"...... i dont remember which airborne unit was there then . but i thought it was the 82nd i could be wrong. they seemed ok"

I believe it was the 173rd Airborne Brigrade which I think now bases out of Italy. Right now I think they, or parts of them are in Iraq

Yep. They are out of Vincenza, Italy, I believe.

Anyone else think we need to Massively improve MCT before we worry about boot camp? When I went through in 2000, it wasn't very intense. The Marine Corps made a wise decision to overhaul the ITB/MCT a few years ago, so I kind of envy Marines who came afterward. Wouldn't it be nice to train each support Marine to a level well above 11b's?
    I'm sure the cost, time, and TO problems associated with extending and intensifying MCT prohibit it, but it would be nice.

i got into this discussion late.my ex-son-in-law graduated from benning and his was tough(about 3 yrs ago)ive been to MCRDSD several times the last few years and im very proud the way the Corps has kept its standards.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Leprechaun
    And those Marines should look for the nearest exit, but I've seen them as well.

And the army does promote some MOS's faster than others, just like we do.
    When I was a poolee, our RS Sergeant Major was a 19 year Sergeant Major. Was former Force Reconnaissance and had his Navy Gold Wings and scuba badge.

At 40+ years old he still ran 300 PFTs

what a stud

so I guess I can see how a 10 year Gunny/SFC is feasible.

Quote Originally Posted by rheinmark187
    Anyone else think we need to Massively improve MCT before we worry about boot camp? When I went through in 2000, it wasn't very intense. The Marine Corps made a wise decision to overhaul the ITB/MCT a few years ago, so I kind of envy Marines who came afterward. Wouldn't it be nice to train each support Marine to a level well above 11b's?
    I'm sure the cost, time, and TO problems associated with extending and intensifying MCT prohibit it, but it would be nice.
    If I had it my way -

Every Marine should have to go through the 8 week ITB course. 0311s need to go through an extended infantryman's course. Perhaps some of the stuff taught at TBS.

Every Marine must run a 225 PFT or higher. Anything lower than a first class will get your counseled and will affect your pros/cons

Quote Originally Posted by JCam0331
    "Sgt. 1st Class Mike Behkendorf went through basic training at Fort Leonard Wood, Mo., in 1996, and said he remembers arriving at his unit packed into a cattle car with the other new soldiers."

This guy made the equivalent of Gunnery Sergeant in less than 11 years??

is this guy just hot stuff or does the Army promote fast? Anybody (an unbiased answer please)
    I made SSGT (E-6) in less than six years and was on the GYSGT (E-7) list when I got out in 74---would have picked up E7 in 73 but refused to extend my enlistment to go to the drill field

Thread Information