MOS question - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MOS question

I think I presented my father in a bad light. to answer your question, cplbrooks, he is an Air Battle Manager. His flying days were spent on the AWACS. He has limited experience with any infantry as most of his experience has been command and control of air assets and some time at STRATCOM.
    Really it is not my MOS choice that concerns him but that I chose enlistment when I could have gone through college and ROTC to becoem a commissioned officer. I should mention that I dropped out of college to enlist.
    Still, he supports me so long as I do what I chose to do "well and with a sense of purpose" He gave me my oath of enlistment himself.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    What does that mean to you to be a commissioned officer? Why is that important to him. Being a commissioned officer is a lot different as a Marine Officer than as an Air Force officer. What do you think the difference is?

Bearing in mind that his field is centered around command and control, I think his experience with good junior enlisted personel is limited. From his experiences, I think enlisting might have seemed a waste of the potential he believes i possess. As for me, had I had the maturity and discipline to succeed when I went to college, I'm sure i would still be pursuing a commission. That said, I want to be a Marine and it doesnt matter to me whether I wear stripes or bars. I don't believe either path to be easier.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    you still didnt answer the question...

recruit, I know plenty of outstanding airmen that have been and are a part of the AWACS program at Tinker. I'm not sure that excuse works too well.

I don't know why he thought I had more to offer as an officer. There is really no point asking him now. I am leaving for boot camp on April 2nd

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by recruit0107
    I don't know why he thought I had more to offer as an officer. There is really no point asking him now. I am leaving for boot camp on April 2nd
    There is no point in a good relationship where you hit a stone wall. Of course your Pops has good input on who you really are. The Old Man has known you all your life.

Recon? Dang, that is a hard road. Very few even in our Beloved Corps want such a life. Take a good look at your life, have you ever taken the easy route? Do you like a constant challenge? Then perhaps Recon would suit you.

Truth be told, anything in my life that isn't as I would like it to be is the result of me taking the easy road. It's high time that stopped. That's part of the reason I chose the Corps. I have already stated the other reasons.

As for the Ol' Man, he supports me now which is all that matters. I did speak to him recently concerning enlistmen versus commissioning by the way. If I understand him, he has known many great enlisted troops. many of them, he wishes had stayedi n school and taken the (forgive me) greater responsibility of a commission where he feels their ability to lead would be better utilized. Why he thinks the same of me is beyond me.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    There is nothing wrong with being a Marine Officer. It is something that you should aspire to become. My point was that when i read your first post is implied that somehow enlisted are mere peasants or uneducated dupes in your fathers eyes.

I sometimes detect this attitude in some that are connected to officers who have never been enlisted. Usually it means that whoever the officer spoke to either misunderstood or doesnt understand what the difference between officers and enlisted actually is and what the function of both are.

That is why i asked you if you knew what the difference is. If you are an outstanding Marine then you should finish your education and apply to officer candidate school when you are ready for it. In my opinion, the best officers are former enlisted Marines.

My little brother joined heading for communications...half way through his primary school he shot over to recon. He served the remainder of his enlistment with 1st Recon Bn, Bravo Co. A good book was written covering their journey through Iraq...Generation Kill.

Just being a U.S.Marine is good enuff(sp) for most Marines. Just remember that Mother Green will put you were they want you. Do your best and you will be happy.

I've read Generation Kill as well as a book by the commander of the platoon that Generation Kill follows. I got a call from my recruiter today. I think I'll be taking the infantry slot which is awesome. Like I said before, I just want to be a Marine and preferably get in the fight. Anyway, whatever the case, I'll be working on my PT now. At the moment, I'm nothing spectacular which is going to have to change. I really appreciate all the response I got on this board. I'll be around here some more looking for advice about boot camp and when I'm done there I'll have questions about SOI.

Recruit is you dad by any chance John Kerry?

Thread Information