AND HOW WE'D RAISE YOU RIGHT
    WHILE WE CRIED AND PRAYED TO JESUS
    TO MAKE IT THROUGH THE NIGHT.

Credits
    Savings
    Images

Boot Camp. . . through the eyes of a recruit

by: Don J. Flickinger Sgt. USMC

Recruit Training, United States Marine Corps, officially comprises three definitive phases. First Phase concentrates on orientation, study of military subjects and physical training. Second Phase includes marksmanship training, combat exercises and long hikes. Third Phase is service week, final polishing and, finally, graduation.

Three phases also exist in the mind of the recruit. These are not, however, the same three phases measured by exact dates in the drill instructor's schedule.

Phase one begins in the small, dark hours of the morning. The former happy civilian steps off the bus into a world of disorientation. His mind is snapped into abject shock. Cardiac arrest is a distinct possibility.

The drill instructor is absolutely the most sadistic, maniacal tyrant he has ever encountered. It is beyond comprehension that one human being could treat another in such fashion. In his daily struggle to survive, the recruit becomes psychoneurotic wondering if the psychopath in charge will allow him to live another day.

The days pass. The crying in the sack at night subsides as the mind becomes numb and the spent, weary body literally dies. Forgotten are the lofty principles and goals that fired enlistment. Graduation is not a word in the vocabulary. The recruit lives in limbo, a lethean existence.

One night after lights out, the recruit lies on his rack contemplating "the worst mistake I ever made in my life." The body and the mind have reached the limits of endurance. Slowly, he begins to make a decision.

Initially, his thoughts are that he cannot continue another day. If that is the end of the thinking process, he sinks into despair will soon be released to return home.

Continued thinking, however, brings the drill instructor into focus. Anger begins to rage within the recruit. Further thought heightens the wrath within to a frenzy. The irrevocable decision is made, "I will not let that son-of-a ***** defeat me."

Second phase begins the next morning at roll call. The recruit responds in a voice that is sharp and quick, loud and distinct, and permeated with a tone of defiance. On the parade deck his movements suddenly become snappy, displaying a newly found arrogance. Despite the aching body, his physical training scores shoot upwardly.

The recruit has engaged the drill instructor in a mental duel. He is determined that he will excel and that the drill instructor will never again single him out. Yet, as he struggles it seems that the drill instructor is answering the challenge and singles him out with continuously accelerating the demands ever increasing expectations. With grim determination, the recruit rises to the challenge.

One day the recruit is astonished with the sudden realization that he has executed a command, perfectly and with relative ease. His mind engages in further introspection. He notices the transformation of mind and body. Gone is the deep-seated defiance, replaced with absolute confidence. He has achieved the "can do!" attitude, which he will have for the rest of his life.

Third Phase has begun. The recruit now struts, proud and tall. Graduation, wearing the Eagle, Globe and Anchor, and being awarded the title "Marine" are realities.

He minimizes his own participation. All credit is given to the drill instructor. All earlier attitudes give way to one of genuine deep respect and hero worship. "If I ever go into combat, I want him as the leader."

The former civilian will be forever a Marine and the drill instructor will live within his mind.

On 16 April 1954, I proudly strutted across the Parade Deck, Marine Corps Recruit Depot, Parris Island, South Carolina, having earned the title, "United States Marine." Again, on 20 May 1994, I strutted, with even greater pride, across the Parade Deck, Marine Corps Recruit Depot, San Diego, California, coming from the reviewing stand, in uniform, after the ceremonies, to welcome my son to the "Band of Brothers."

The mental phases of training as perceived in the mind of the recruit are based upon my own impressions and reflections from the time. They were confirmed by my son's Senior Drill Instructor. He further indicated that the phases are imposed by design and that the drill instructor is acutely aware of the current mental phase of each recruit.

Credits
    Savings
    Images

"THE BREED"

By Bob Holtzer

Look at them...who are they??
    I'd really like to know.

These gallant young men that stand
    ready to defend and challenge our nations foe.

You may ask this question when you come upon this scene,

When there is a crisis in our world and all seems dim, just call
    on any
    "MARINE."

It was "1775" when they formed into the Corps.

to fight and defend our country on many a distant shore.

The fought in actions around the world and they earned a new
    respect,

they served with pride and honor to become known as "LEATHERNECK!"

In World War one at "Belleau Wood" with a courage that few had
    seen,

they painted our history with valor,
    "DEVIL DOG!! "
    a name for a "MARINE."

In World War two in the pacific they planted their courageous
    seed,

Then again in Korea and Vietnam to become known as "THE BREED!"

It doesn't matter what action in which they may have served,

they are Marines..."THE BREED!"
    an honor well deserved.

In peace they carry the legacy of those that have gone before,

These young men are "THE BREED!"
    "The heart of the Corps!!"

Credits
    Savings
    Images

No True Glory

by Cpl. DeJohn

No true glory was given to the men,
    who fought in Fallujah, a terrorist den.

A cauldron of hatred and evil lived here,
    and Marines were again at the tip of the spear.

Zarqawi's base camp was Fallujah's cancer,
    and rooting it out was the only answer.

Neither politics nor patience could change this course,
    so the order was given to eliminate the source.

Both Marines and Army fought side by side,
    to crush a cruel enemy and to turn the tide.

Battalions 1/8, 1/3, 3/1, and 3/5,
    the Army's 2-7, and 2-2 went into the hive.

Brave heroes were made as the battle did unfold,
    but due to media bias, these tales were not told.

Casualties and Abu Ghraib was instead the news du jour,
    with very few exceptions the reporting of valor was poor.

Many were wounded and many did die,
    Brothers in arms, they won't be denied.

For warriors of the past there was no true glory,
    if there were no songs or poems to tell their brave story.

Unsung, the noblest deeds will surely die.
    To the men who fought this historic battle, we salute you - Semper Fi.

Last year I read the book "No True Glory - A Frontline Account of the Battle for Fallujah" by retired Marine Corps General Bing West. What a truly stirring retelling of the latest of many epic battles executed by the Marine Corps. It was a story that needs to be told and retold. The last paragraph of this great piece of work deeply moved me; "In The Illiad a warrior in the front ranks turned to his companion and said, "let us win glory for ourselves, or yield it to others." For Greek warriors, there was no true glory if they were not remembered afterward in poem or in song. There will be no true glory for our soldiers in Iraq until they are recognized not as victims, but as aggressive warriors. Stories of their bravery deserve to be recorded and read by the next generation. Unsung, the noblest deed will die." A chill literally went down my spine when I read that and immediately after putting the book down I wrote the following poem summerizing the story:

No True Glory

This was my way to ensure that these brave warriors are never forgotten. I understand that Bing West has plans to make his book into a movie that he will be overseeing. That way Hollywood hopefully won't butcher it by twisting the facts. I also understand that his plans for this movie are under attack from those who would rather criticize the military and the heroism attached to it. I hope that this is not true and if it is that this movie is made regardless. I'm sure that it will be comperable to other great movies that capture the spirit or heoism, patriotism and sacrifice such as "Black Hawk Down" and "We Were Soldiers". Pass the word for this story to be told. Semper Fi.

Cpl. Daniel P. DeJohn
    Wpns. Co. Dragons Plt. 1/6
    Operation Desert Storm
    '89-'93

Credits
    Savings
    Images

This Is Who I Am

Sgt. Raymond Plouhar USMC

This is me this is who I am
    I am a Marine to the very end
    I live by the motto that is Semperi Fi

I come to countries in far off lands
    to fight for freedom for which most are to scared to stand

Do not judge me for what I do
    for what I do I do for you

I will kill for those who cannot kill
    I will die for those to scared to

I will leave my loved ones, my kids, my wife
    I will leave them all behind to give you a better life

I have seen and done things that will haunt my dreams
    I have given up many things for you to be free

Do not feel pity for me, for this is my choice
    I chose this life so people like you can have a voice

I will die on my feet, I will not live on my knees
    I will do this so America can stay free

This is me this is who I am
    I am a Marine to the very end

Credits
    Savings
    Images

Parris Island

by Cpl. Robert L. Cook USMC

Parris Island is a place
    That’s known to all and sundry,
    From here they turn out
    New Marines
    Be it Monday or a Sunday.

I stood with others on the deck
    As they marched
    In perfect step
    To positions at attention on the field.
    The band, it played a marching tune,
    With piccolo and big bassoon,
    And drums that would not be quiet.

The troops all marched in perfect time
    And halted in a perfect line
    Across the parade deck,
    They did fine
    Before the people
    That were gathered there.

The colors were all unfurled,
    Our banners told
    The whole world
    That these men and women were Marines
    And members of the greatest team
    That ever set a foot
    On mother earth.

I stood with eyes that held a tear,
    I saw them all standing there
    And knew that once
    There stood I.
    I envied them their rank and file
    But inside I had to smile
    In knowing that I was looking
    At the best.

Their movements were
    All smart and sharp
    From hand salute

To “Attention!”
    They were so perfect
    At their trade
    I really had to mention.

So let’s be grateful,
    One and all,
    That men and women like these
    Are standing tall,

Taking their place
    In the ranks.
    For this I give
    A heartfelt “Thanks.”

Semper Fi!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    This graphic is one of the most motivating to me personally, and its courtesy of the Fontman.

Jim

The Title

Credits
    Savings
    Images

FREEDOM

By: Sergeant Aaron M. Gilbert USMC

In my life, I have had wanted nothing more than what I now am, a Marine. A single 6-letter word that speaks volumes to multitudes. Just the name, Marine, carries pride, honor and courage. Many men join for many different reasons, but they all start off with the same goal along the way, to become a Marine. To be one of the few, the proud. Proud, pride, strength when united. Every background, every creed and every color. All come together under the same promise. The promise to protect this country against all enemies, foreign and domestic. All who join have accepted this price, this calling. The price of having to leave all behind, to journey to a country where people hate you, and all you stand for.

The American Dream, Martin Luther King Jr's Dream and the Dream of our Forefathers. This dream of freedom and the right to preserve it. And who is called upon to undertake this task, the United States Marines. We rise to the call to lay down our lives. We fight and die for the freedom that some people cherish, some people spit upon and the very freedom that most people think they deserve. But who really deserves this freedom, the People or the Patriot.

Thomas Jefferson said it best when he said, "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the bloodshed of patriots and tyrants."

But how many really understand and believe that statement. How many know what it is like to sleep alone, cold, humbled and unappreciated. How many know what it is like to lose a friend or loved one who fought and died for the freedoms you were given. And how many have received a folded American flag, followed by a 21 Gun Salute. How many, we don't know. But whatever the number, they are the ones who gave so much for their Country and freedom that they lost it all.

Our Nation will see our conflicts on T.V., they will see our men and women, our sons and daughters who have openly accepted the possibility of death, and they will turn the channel without a second thought.

But you remember this. While you sleep at night with your parents, your wife, your children, there are always men out there awaiting the call to lay their lives down, and as J.F.K. said in his Inaugural Speech, "I do not cower from this responsibility, I welcome it."

Credits
    Savings
    Images

THE MARINE

by Corporal Aaron M. Gilbert USMC

We all came together, Both young and old. To fight for our freedom, To stand and be bold.

In the midst of all evil, We stand our ground, And we protect our country From all terror around.

Peace and not war, Is what some people say. But I'll give my life, So you can live the American way.

I give you the right To talk of your peace, To stand in your groups, And protest in our streets.

But still I fight on. I don't *****, I don't whine. I'm just one of the men Who is doing your time.

I'm harder than nails, Stronger than any machine, I'm the immortal soldier, I'm a U.S. MARINE!

So stand in my shoes, And leave from your home. Fight for the people who hate you, With the protests they've shown.

Fight for the stranger, Fight for the young, So they all may have, The great freedom you've won.

Fight for the sick, Fight for the poor. Fight for the cripple, Who lives next door.

But when your time comes, Do what I've done. For if you stand up for freedom You'll stand when the fight's done.

Credits
    Savings
    Images

The Rusty Marine

Author Unknown

The rusty Marine, born gallant and brave
    To his country, his allegiance raised.
    He served in war to honor and protect
    In battle he did not defect.

Through foxholes, trenches, gunfire and hell
    His honor and pride never fell.
    For in his heart, his faith was strong
    Yet for home he did long.

Now he sits, tired, forlorn
    For his youth he does mourn.
    Because it ran so quickly by
    He often thinks, "How time did fly."

Then he dons his old dress blues
    And in his spirit, a change of hues.
    He straightens up and stands with pride
    His great honor, he can not hide.

Then he begins to gently weep
    The memories come, pile upon heap.
    A single tear falls from his eye
    As he whispers, "Semper Fi."

Quote Originally Posted by jinelson View Post

GySgt Mortimer. Now C Co 1/9 Company Gunny.

Thanks for sharing these SSGT! They are truly motivating.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I know this about a soldier, but a friend sent it to me and I thought it was motivating as hell so I thought I'd share it with you guys.

Some of you may have already read this.

Semper Fi,

Dave
    -----------------------------

Deck of Cards

It was quiet that day, the guns and the mortars, and land mines for some reason hadn't been heard.

The young soldier knew it was Sunday, the holiest day of the week.

As he was sitting there, he got out an old deck of cards and laid them out across his bunk.

Just then an army sergeant came in and said, 'Why aren't you with the rest of the platoon?'

The soldier replied, 'I thought I would stay behind and spend some time with the Lord.'

The sergeant said, 'Looks to me like you're going to play cards.'

The soldier said, 'No, sir. You see, since we are not allowed to have Bibles or other spiritual books in this country,

I've decided to talk to the Lord by studying this deck of cards.'

The sergeant asked in disbelief, 'How will you do that?'

'You see the Ace, Sergeant? It reminds me that there is only one God.

The Two represents the two parts of the Bible, Old and New Testaments

The Three represents the Father, Son, and the Holy Ghost.

The Four stands for the Four Gospels: Matthew, Mark, Luke and John .

The Five is for the five virgins there were ten but only five of them were glorified.

The Six is for the six days it took God to create the Heavens and Earth.

The Seven is for the day God rested after making His Creation.

The Eight is for the family of Noah and his wife, their three sons and their wives -- the eight people God spared from the flood that destroyed the Earth.

The Nine is for the lepers that Jesus cleansed of leprosy He cleansed ten, but nine never thanked Him.

The Ten represents the Ten Commandments that God handed down to Moses on tablets made of stone.

The Jack is a reminder of Satan, one of God's first angels, but he got kicked out of heaven for his sly and wicked ways and is now the joker of eternal hell.

The Queen stands for the Virgin Mary.

The King stands for Jesus, for he is the King of all kings.

When I count the dots on all the cards, I come up with 365 total, one for every day of the year.

There are a total of 52 cards in a deck; each is a week - 52 weeks in a year.

The four suits represent the four seasons: Spring, Summer, Fall and Winter.

Each suit has thirteen cards -- there are exactly thirteen weeks in a quarter.

So when I want to talk to God and thank Him, I just pull out this old deck of cards and they remind me of all that I have to be thankful for.'

The sergeant just stood there. After a minute, with tears in his eyes and pain in his heart, he said, 'Soldier, can I borrow that deck of cards?'

Please let this be a reminder and take time to pray for all of our soldiers who are being sent away, putting their lives on the line fighting

Prayer for the Military.

Please keep the wheel rolling. It will only take a few seconds of your time, but it'll be worth it to read on....

Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands.

Protect them.

Bless them and their families.

I ask this in the name of Jesus, our Lord and Savior.

Amen.

Thread Information