Dealing with Homesickness
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Dealing with Homesickness

I joined the corps last July. Ever since I have pretty much excelled in everything I have done. My only problem is that I cant adjust to being away from home. I have a girlfriend, a big family and alot of good friends back at home and I just cant quit thinking about them. Im in 29 Palms for Com school right now, which is all the way on the other side of the country from my home state. My question is, how did you guys over come homesickness when you were new marines?

Thanks in advance.

PFC Davis

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by BobbyDWV
    I joined the corps last July. Ever since I have pretty much excelled in everything I have done. My only problem is that I cant adjust to being away from home. I have a girlfriend, a big family and alot of good friends back at home and I just cant quit thinking about them. Im in 29 Palms for Com school right now, which is all the way on the other side of the country from my home state. My question is, how did you guys over come homesickness when you were new marines?

Thanks in advance.

PFC Davis
    I just had me one good cry !

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Ignore 10Z; his family sold him to the Corps when he was 16 and the gypsys nor the circus would take him! It's just part of growing up and getting used to being out on your own. They used to tell us to get involved in church or youth groups (little league, stuff like that). I never tried it but I didn't come from a close family. You're a Marine for cripes sakes, you'll adapt and overcome!

Credits
    Savings
    If you think I was bad, we had this kid in Okinawa that cried his-self to sleep every night. The guys use to throw those cheap flimsy 3RD MARDIV mattresses on top of him to muffle the crying so they could sleep.

Just when you thought you seen (heard) everything...

Homesickness is a common occurrence.

However, some individuals have more of a time of it than others. It can get bad enough that it effects a Marine's performance of duties and can require a psychological assessment. If the conditions is bad enough, an individual could be diagnosed with an adjustment disorder. Severe cases involve depression, substance abuse, and suicidal ideations or attempts.

Write home frequently, but don't call home frequently. Call your girlfriend no more than once a week and your folks once every two weeks. If you want to write them every day, then write them. Don't focus on how homesick you are, but rather focus on how much you love them and how excited you are about your new experience in the Corps.

Keep yourself busy with healthy activities during your off duty hours with sports, hobbies, working out, off duty education, church attendance, writing, reading, praying, drawing, playing a musical instrument, etc., etc.

You need to adjust to being away from your family and you will over time. Just focus on your job as a Marine and participate in healthy off duty activities. It'll get better.

Just be thankful that you are homesick. Some Marines came into the Corps with no family to be homesick for.

Hey bobby i was in the stumps for my whole 4 years except deployments around the world. I've got some advice I was in your position i'm from the east coast and it was a big change. I don't wanna be harsh but i'm going to be because i lived what you're going through.1st get rid of the girlfriend I had the same g/f since middle school allthe way through high school I missed out on alot in my 1st year in the corps because she didn't want me going out drinking what a stupid move. Get together with some other jarheads take a ride to laughlin nevada or LA or Vegas and party like marines know how to with out having to put up with nagging. You will get used to being out of mommy's nest when you are having a great time on the weekends and 72's and 96's with your fellow marines. Keep in touch with your friends and family but try not to be the kid crying on the phone at the barracks. It helps if you study hard at your mos school and party on the weekends get out and see all the places besides that **** hole of a town 29 palms. Don't mope around because you're there for a year addapt and overcome don't let the bastards grind you down I know it's hot and depressing there. Ileft there 2 years ago and will never go back. Just remeber this is proboly going to be the most fun part of the corps if you get out. It changed for me when I got invited to go to lake havasu for spring break after that i couldn't be found on or near the base any weekend in the next 4 years. I hope I helped a little. Stick in there and try and take a cab and some marines out this weekend things will change for the better.Let me know how things are going.

Credits
    Savings
    Tijuana use to work for me

Loved Okinawa, I could fall in love with five different women in one night for ten bucks thata make you forget about being homesick !

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyDWV

Thanks in advance.

PFC Davis
    Read lots of books, spend more time learning your MOS, Lift weights, tip back a few with your school buddies, Meet a Girl out in town, Read more books, Stay away from negative Marines, buy an Ipod, go running....

ANYTHING you can do to keep a positive outlook and take your mind away from being away helps. You will be in the fleet soon, and it will begin to get better eventually.

Here are things you SHOULD NOT DO! Buy tons of useless junk, Hang out in town where the druggies are, eat nasty food, waste ALL of your libo getting smashed, get attached to a girl out in town, dwell on how much you miss home, or hate the Marine Corps... Remember, you are the low man on the totem pole right now. You are SUPPOSED to hate it. As time goes by you will have done more and rate more, and it all becomes gravy. Next thing you know you will be old and grey with a red USMC hat, posting messages on leatherneck.com about how much you miss the Corps, and how "back in your day......"

If you get stationed out in Camp Pendleton and need someone to show you the good spots, or a ride or anything, hit me up, and Ill see what I can do.

Good luck Marine

Credits
    Savings
    Good post SkilletsUSMC

I just PMed Bobby, but would like to share this with all of you too.

You are normal

Bobby,

You are lucky, I didn't have the girl back home or much family or friends that really cared.

I had my [breakdown] cry, right after I realized I was stuck in a world of s-hit and my former girlfriend was going to marry a classmate (Marine in Hawaii) and I couldn't get home to stop her because they were sending me Comm school again (2531/2511).

They lasted 4 years and two boys. She's a multi-millionaire in Hawaii now and recently told me if I left my wife of 42 years and got back with her she'd give me the best sex I ever had

Oh yeah, good thing they sent me to school, she was pregnant !

Stay low,

SF

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by 10thzodiac
    She's a multi-millionaire in Hawaii now and recently told me if I left my wife of 42 years and got back with her she'd give me the best sex I ever had
    wife of 42 years.... multi milionare

Damn... BIG delema...

10th zodiac is right .Remeber buy me drinkie how bout the banana show that made me forget about home for sure.Oki was great it was great at gate 2 street and fujiyamas and (sinville)kinville.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by SkilletsUSMC
    wife of 42 years....http://images.google.com/images?q=tb...tephensesq.com....multi milionare

Damn... BIG delema...
    No, not really !
    check the date:

02-04-07, 11:38 AM #12
    10thzodiac
    Marine
    Gold Member

S-hit happens ! (reminds me of my 1st love)

Quote Originally Posted by SkilletsUSMC
    Next thing you know you will be old and grey with a red USMC hat, posting messages on leatherneck.com about how much you miss the Corps, and how "back in your day......"
    Skillets, you got me pegged.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    One common thread in all these posts-every damn one of us was homesick at some point and to some degree! It is normal (sometimes even 10Z is right-damn rarely, but sometimes) Just hang in there!

Thread Information