Awards. - Page 3
Create Post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Awards.

Zodiac, shouldn't you also have an RVN Service medal on there with that Cross of Gallantry w/Palm?

Credits
    Savings

Exclamation Top Secret

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Leprechaun
    Zodiac, shouldn't you also have an RVN Service medal on there with that Cross of Gallantry w/Palm?
    Jason, you know your medals ! At the time I was awarded the AFEB for Vietnam, there was no RVN.

When the 9th MEB went to Vietnam Aug '64 we [peons] didn't even know where we were going (TOP SECRET), let alone having a special medal for it. Now, retroactively, I can exchange one for the other, but I like controversy and wanted to see if anyone was sharp enough to pick up on it

SF

10thz

P.S. And here I was waiting to frag someone calling me a "wannabe", shucks !

Ha! No such luck. I do know em , but I also knew that the AFEM was awarded for a certain time period there early on...but was just too lazy to look it up LOL.

Figured it was something along those lines, based on the stories I've heard you tell.

Kay...then, also, shouldn't there be the "Rep of Vietnam" campaign medal (the green/white one with the no end date on the bar tab) as well? I would have thought you rated that one for sure

Did you get a star on the AFEM for DomRep? Maybe you should have asked for a MCEM for that one to add to the rack LOL. Always wished I had one of those.

Quote Originally Posted by ErikHeiker
    AWARDS AND DECORATIONSDEVICES
    1. Air Force Commendation Medal0
    2. Air Force Achievement Medal1
    3. Joint Meritorious Unit Award0
    4. AF Outstanding Unit Award2
    5. Combat Readiness Medal6
    6. Marine Corps Good Conduct Medal1
    7. Air Reserve Forces Meritorious Service Medal6
    8. National Defense Service Medal2
    9. Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal0
    10. Afghanistan Campaign Medal0
    11. Global War on Terrorism Service Medal0
    12. Humanitarian Service Medal1
    13. Air Force Expeditionary Service Ribbon with Gold Border1
    14. AF Longevity Service5
    15. Armed Forces Reserve Medal with 1 'M' Device1
    16. Small Arms Expert Marksmanship Ribbon (Rifle)0
    17. AF Training Ribbon0

I'll also be adding the Air Medal with 2 OLC and the NATO medal for duty in Afghanistan. But those will take forever to get awarded.
    I just got awarded my first Air Medal. Now for the two OLCs to come through!

Congrats!

Out of professional curiousity (as a military collector), is the back engraved?

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Leprechaun
    Congrats!

Out of professional curiousity (as a military collector), is the back engraved?
    I have no idea. All I have at this time is vMPF confirmation that I have been awarded the Air Medal. I don't know if the Marine Corps has a similar system, but vMPF is an online way of checking personnel data including awards and decs. So while I have not received the award in a formation, I have been officially awarded the medal and I am expected to update my ribbon rack. But I'd be surprised if the back is engraved.

1. good conduct medal
    2. rifle markmanship badge (sharpshooter)
    3.letter of apperciation (3)
    4.certificate of apperciation

Joint Meritorious Unit Commendation
    Meritorious Unit Commendation with bronze star
    Good Conduct Medal with bronze star
    National Defense Service Medal
    Humanitarian Service Medal
    Sea Service Deployment Ribbon with bronze star
    Artic Service Ribbon
    Rifle Expert 2nd Award
    Pistol Marksman

Plus an Antartic Service Medal if you look at my DD214 - I had my record reviewed a couple of years ago to add some unit awards that were awarded after my discharge and they messed up an added the Antartic Service Medal - guess they didn't realize that there is a difference between Norway and the Antartic! I do not display this award in my shadow box!

Quote Originally Posted by Bulkyker
    I had heard of it before but really didn't pay much attention to it. Here you go http://www.foxfall.com/cwm.htm

there are a whole slew of commerative medals that you can purchase - but they are not authorized for wear so I've never bothered.

Quote Originally Posted by ErikHeiker
    I have no idea. All I have at this time is vMPF confirmation that I have been awarded the Air Medal. I don't know if the Marine Corps has a similar system, but vMPF is an online way of checking personnel data including awards and decs. So while I have not received the award in a formation, I have been officially awarded the medal and I am expected to update my ribbon rack. But I'd be surprised if the back is engraved.

Yeah, I actually would as well, that is not something that is done anymore as far as I am aware, but I could be wrong.

And, it's kinda weird to ask guys wearing awards "Hey, did you get that medal engraved?" LOL.

But, since you had mentioned it once already, was just curious.

Engraving the backs of awards was once common practice (even the lowly GCM was engraved on the first award) that was pretty much stopped during WWII with the PH, but continued with valor awards.

It def. adds a touch of class, and some long term meaning, to have the valor awards with your name on em.

Just my opinion, mind you

Credits
    Savings
    RESPONSE IN RED
    [quote=Sgt Leprechaun]Ha! No such luck. I do know em , but I also knew that the AFEM was awarded for a certain time period there early on...but was just too lazy to look it up LOL.

Figured it was something along those lines, based on the stories I've heard you tell.

Kay...then, also, shouldn't there be the "Rep of Vietnam" campaign medal (the green/white one with the no end date on the bar tab) as well? I would have thought you rated that one for sure

No, only WIA, KIA got'em less than six months.

Did you get a star on the AFEM for DomRep? Maybe you should have asked for a MCEM for that one to add to the rack LOL.

Lucky again, refused to sign 'too short wavier' to go. The other Marine (2 of us ) from ServBn 2nd MarDiv that had orders to go was killed there.

Always wished I had one of those.

LMAO, lie down, maybe the notion will pass ! I wish I had one too
    This should go good with my white bell bottoms, buttons, bows and sailor boy cap.

"A SQUID MEDAL"

(3) At present, there is a supply of Marine Corps Expeditionary Medals on hand which will be awarded to Marine Corps personnel participating in authorized expeditions. After this supply is exhausted, the Navy Expeditionary Medal will be the only medal awarded to either Navy or Marine Corps personnel for participation in expeditions.

Source: 1948, 1953 U.S. Navy Awards Manual

Ph With 2 Gold Star;s
    Good Conduct Medal With 1 Bronze Star
    National Defense Service Medal
    Puc.with 1 Bronze Star
    Vsc 3 Bronze Star's
    Vcm With 1960 Device
    Vmuc Gallantry Cross Metal Color With Palm
    Expert Pistol Badge
    Sharpshooter Rifle Badge

Thread Information