Nervous
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nervous

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Nervous

I know this is going to sound dumb, but I am nervous. I am suppose to fly down to meps on the 21st for my physical and I am nervous about the whole process. I am nervous for boot. It is a excited nervous. I just got done watching those wonderful motivating videos and they were great. Maybe I am a bit nervous about my age. I am 28, will be going thru boot with guys alot younger than me. I just will be happy to become a Marine. My dad, uncle and grandfather are marines. I know I will be fine. Just alot to take in.

Rob

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Nervous is good, you should be nervous-you are about to become part of something that will change your whole life experience. But hell, figure if all of us old farts made it, why shouldn't you. Besides, you're going to the Club Med of the Marine Corps; San Diego! It's not like the land God forsook, Parris Island!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Relax we had a Poolee here that went this time last year and he was 28. He drank like a fish and smoked like a chimney and wasent in PT Stud shape and he graduated as a Squad Leader Pfc and today he is a Corporol of Marines. Physically the young dogs will have you but you will take with you your knowlege and maturity which they will never be able to match.

OORAH!!!

Jim

Credits
    Savings
    Thanks, I really appreciate the words of wisdom. When I embarked on this endeavor on August 17, I weighed 243lbs, right now I am 210lbs. So I have been getting better. I wake up everyday at 4am to workout. Today I was able to run 2 miles without walking.

meps is nothing to be nervous about, if anything it is actually quite boring

Now, shipping out, that should make you so nervous you wanna puke!

When you get to boot camp, the main thing the Drill Instructors will be looking for immediately is, instant obedience to order and MOTIVATION (a positive, can do attitude, coupled with high energy).

Do everything as fast as you can without making mistakes, sound off, and demonstrate to your Drill Instructors throught your attitude and behavior, that you want to be an excellent recruit and Marine.

They will be looking for leaders among the the platoon. Be first, stand at attentions correctly, sound off, execute facing movements with snap, stay in step when marching.... etc. Believe me, you will be noticed.

When it's appropriate, help your fellow recruits, especially your bunky. This will demonstrate leadership ability and it builds teamwork. Your platoon is a team and your family for twelve weeks... help them out when you can, especially the slower lesser capable members.

He drank like a fish and smoked like a chimney and wasent in PT Stud shape and he graduated as a Squad Leader Pfc and today he is a Corporol of Marines.
    Haaa... wow Jim what a way to put it. I had to laugh. My lifestyle never sounded so bad until you just described it... haaaaa. Good times though!

No seriously rob there's nothing wrong with nervous excitement. It's just the unknown that's bugging you. After a couple weeks you'll fall into a nice groove. The age thing can easily be turned into a positive if you carry yourself with a consistant maturity that usually comes with that age. I joined at 28 in early '05 and found it easy to advance (easy is a relative term here) just by being myself, displaying confidence, maturity and stepping it up where I could.

Strangely enough I wasn't even the oldest in my boot camp platoon. There was this Asian kid Lee who was 29 at the time. Just bumped into him at one of our chowhalls out here and he's doing fine. He was actually a college math professor who like me just wanted to step out of his comfort zone and find that inner warrior. He struggled for a while becuase the environment demanded behavior that just was not him at all. He found his groove eventually though.

Good luck and don't sweat it. Get back to me if you've got any specific concerns. I'm here on the site alot.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    LMFAO Joe I didnt use any names but your were the Poolee that came to mind.

Jim

Rob, I have a hearing issue right now that the doctors tell me is fixable in 3-5 years, and I will be 22-25 when that occurs so I will be in the same boat as you, thanks for enlisting even despite your age. Prove to them you can do it. I hear from Marines that the young guys look up to older guys at boot -- even though you're all the same worthless to the Drill Instructors.

Credits
    Savings
    Don't be Nervous... Brother be Proud!!!

Credits
    Savings
    Thanks guys, it really helps out alot. Just cant wait to get in there and do it.

Quote Originally Posted by The1stSgt
    When you get to boot camp, the main thing the Drill Instructors will be looking for immediately is, instant obedience to order and MOTIVATION (a positive, can do attitude, coupled with high energy).

Do everything as fast as you can without making mistakes, sound off, and demonstrate to your Drill Instructors throught your attitude and behavior, that you want to be an excellent recruit and Marine.

They will be looking for leaders among the the platoon. Be first, stand at attentions correctly, sound off, execute facing movements with snap, stay in step when marching.... etc. Believe me, you will be noticed.

When it's appropriate, help your fellow recruits, especially your bunky. This will demonstrate leadership ability and it builds teamwork. Your platoon is a team and your family for twelve weeks... help them out when you can, especially the slower lesser capable members.
    Thanks for the tips, I read you were a former drill instructor so you obviously know what you're talking about. I'll definitely keep this in mind when I arrive to the depot.

When i was going through boot camp about seven months ago things were exactly like first sergeant said....attention to detail...instant obedience to orders...and looking good...and of course leadership....all the keys to success while at recruit training...trust me...thats one of the catch phrases my drill intstuctor used on black friday...lol...and the age thing...our guide was 29...he had bad legs and was barely five feet tall but ill tell ya what he was the best leader i ever had....but hold in strong..youll make it then you can be called one of us.....a US MARINE....OOORAH

Credits
    Savings
    Well, like I said I have been working my butt off to get into better shape. I tell myself I may not be the fastest or smartest, but I am going to give it my all. I really want that promotion at the end. Hell just being able to call myself a Marine will be self gratifying. Also to be able to see my dad and march the same parade deck he did when he graduated.

The only thing I'm nervous about is MEPS, and that's still months away. That probably seems strange, but it sounds so nerve-wracking to know that being able to do something that's so important to me, rests on some medical examiners who might find some permanently disqualifying condition that I didn't even know about. Scary as hell.

As scary and challenging as Boot Camp is, I'm really looking forward to being broken and re-molded into one of the few and the proud, regardless of what I have to suffer when I'm there.

Thread Information