Tattoo waiver
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tattoo waiver

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Tattoo waiver

Man, I will tell you. For some reason, I am worrying about this tattoo waiver. I dont have any on my hands, neck or head. Part of it shows on my rt arm under my skivies. I probably shouldn't worry, but I am. Has anyone else had to have one. I just look forward to when I can go to recruit training and become a member of this illustrious group

Rob

You should get a waiver no problem. I know people who have had entire body parts tattooed and got waivers

Credits
    Savings
    cool, kind of worried. Just dont want anything to come in between me becoming a Marine

Quote Originally Posted by robg9178
    cool, kind of worried. Just dont want anything to come in between me becoming a Marine
    As long as it's not gang or racism related, it's waiverable. They'll take a picture of it and describe it on paper.

Quote Originally Posted by robg9178

Too bad you didn't think of that before you got it done.

But, it shouldn't be a problem.

Credits
    Savings
    They are not racist or gang related. I would definitly not change getting them done, I like them and want more. I just didnt know the Marines were strict about tattoos

I have 4. A couple of them visible in Charlies. Waiver was no problem.

Credits
    Savings
    Cool, I am thinking the same thing, but just that bit of uncertainty

Just sign up quick before they get that new rule put in about tats showing outside the charlies....but thats gonna take a while and i personally dont think its going to pass anyways....ive seen tats on marines that go all the way down their forearms...lol...its all good dont sweat it.....OOORAH?

Semper Fi
    PFC Fritz, USMC
    7th Comm, Camp Hansen, Okinawa
    1341/Heavy Equipment Operator.....OOORAH

Do they happen to be Marine Corps tattoos

Marine Corps plans to review tattoo policy

CAMP FOSTER, Okinawa (Jan 12, 2007) -- As the size, frequency and meaning of tattoos continues to change with the times, the Marine Corps will review its policy for the fourth consecutive year this summer to determine what is the best policy, Marine Corps officials said recently.

Marine Corps sergeants major plan to review the policy during the 2007 Sergeants Major Symposium in the summer, according to Sgt. Maj. Robert E. Mastriano, the Marine Corps Bases Japan and Marine Corps Base Camp Butler sergeant major.

According to the current Marine Corps Order, P1020.34G, tattoos or brands on the neck and hands are strictly forbidden. Tattoos or brands on other areas of the body that are prejudicial to good order, discipline and morale, or are of a nature to bring discredit upon the Marine Corps are also prohibited.

Since 2003, there have been several proposed changes. Among them is an initiative to prohibit Marines from getting sleeve tattoos, or tattoos that cover the whole arm.

Though not forbidden, excessive tattoos, especially those visible in service C and summer physical training uniforms, often disqualify Marines from special billets and officer programs, Mastriano said.

Marine Corps Recruiting Command and Marine Security Guard Battalion have strict policies and standards for determining eligibility for recruiting or MSG duty. Applicants are often disqualified for having tattoos that are visible while wearing physical training gear, he said.

The Army recently revised its tattoo policy in an effort to bolster recruitment. The service now permits tattoos on the hands and back of the neck if they are not "extremist, indecent, sexist or racist." Tattoos on the back of the neck can not extend above the class A uniform collar.

Mastriano said the Army's new policy is designed to maintain their recruiting goals, which is a problem the Marine Corps does not have.

"We only have to recruit 30,000 a year," Mastriano said. "The Army has to recruit four times as many. There are many reasons why the population joins the Marines, and there will always be those willing to join the Corps either out of a patriotic sense of duty or adventure."

Those found in violation of the current order or any future revisions may be subject to non-judicial punishment, and staff noncommissioned officers will report violators, Mastriano said.

Marines who currently have sleeve tattoos will be "grandfathered," or suffer no punishment, in the event of a stricter tattoo policy. But Mastriano warns that it can inhibit their careers by affecting promotions and preventing them from serving in special and high visibility billets.

Mastriano also said excessive tattoos can affect a Marine's marketability in the workplace once they leave the Corps.

Ellie

Credits
    Savings
    Well I do plan on Getting more. If I do. They will be covered. I get them purely for my enjoyment, not of others. But I will keep it in mind

Tattoo waviers are a little harder to get now but you should be good to go depending on what your tattoo is of. I went to boot camp with a tattoo wavier for the tear drop that's on my hand but it's not gang related. The tattoo regulations are getting a little stricter so just be mindful of what kind of tattoos you get and where you get them.

Credits
    Savings
    Well I will know tomorrow about my waiver, hopefully it will be good news. Then I can go to San Deigo this weekend for meps

Credits
    Savings
    Well unfortunatly my waiver was denied. I appreciate all the support I got on this site. I will have to look at other ways of serving my country. Thank you very much

Thread Information